OK - you have the boat .. you later bought an item that far exceeded expectation ?

Refueler

Visit site
Title is basically asking what item you bought - maybe in a brain fade moment ... just thought - Oh that'll be handy ....

Then it turned out to perform or be far more than expected ??

Mine has to be the NMEA2WiFi unit - the ease of setup .. price ... ability to send out via USB / WiFi / NMEA all or any data on board simultaneously needs to be experienced to appreciate ..

Now they have a 4 unit ... that's ordered and will replace the 2 unit on my 38 ... putting the 2 back on the 25.

Nmea4Wifi

dunedin

Visit site
Rocna anchor - other concave anchor shapes will do. That plus a £12 folding step on Amazon
Boat manufacturer was trying to sell me a fancy set of bow steps for £450. But the Rocna makes a brilliant footstep on the bow.
Previous Delta would have been rubbish for this. :)

Refueler

Visit site
View attachment 170818
"Muggi" Marvellous bit of kit for bringing cuppas up from the galley to the cockpit. Er indoors laughed when she saw it but wouldn't be without one now. Only paid a tenner when I bought ours.

My side lockers are like that for the mugs ... and opposite I have the Wine Glass locker where they hang and stand similar to bar - where base is trapped in a slot ...

Shouldn't say this - but when I worked coastal on 1000 tonners ... one ship had a couple of screws set into the woodwork below bridge window port side. At 17:00 each day .. Master would appear on bridge with a wood open frame box ... it had two keyhole slots in back of .. clip onto the screws.

Box had 3 glasses .. and a bottle of ***** ....... why 3 ? Quite often Pilot was on board - so 1 for Master .. 1 for Pilot ... 1 for me !!

Refueler

Visit site
The reflective tape at the top of my mast meant that, even with a fairly weak flashlight, I could find Stingo at night. This worked especially well after an extended beach bar happy hour. Cheers
View attachment 170820

I had a couple of small squares I put on the corners of a caravan I had .. found them really helpful.

Did similar on a previous boat .. one small square at corner of transom ... helped on those dark nights rowing back to boat out there !!

Bouba

Visit site
The microwave….by getting microwaveable hot water bottles it has doubled its utility

Bouba

Visit site
My battery powered water pick for cleaning between teeth. This has been especially useful…originally I used a mains powered water pick…but that meant connecting extension cords when we needed to use it..which was awkward because I use it at night and the wife in the morning. I was going to put a plug socket in the bathroom (which is actually a wet room)…when I came across the battery powered water pick and ordered it from the United States…it’s benefits include not having to wire up the bathroom, it’s actually more powerful than a 220v one and I can take it on holiday to use in hotel rooms.
To me, anything that makes the boat more like home is great

Bouba

Visit site
Not little…but our electric reclining double sofa from Wayfair has been great !…I also got it a little battery so that I can recline when not hooked up to shore power or generator

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
Title is basically asking what item you bought - maybe in a brain fade moment ... just thought - Oh that'll be handy ....

Then it turned out to perform or be far more than expected ??

Mine has to be the NMEA2WiFi unit - the ease of setup .. price ... ability to send out via USB / WiFi / NMEA all or any data on board simultaneously needs to be experienced to appreciate ..

Now they have a 4 unit ... that's ordered and will replace the 2 unit on my 38 ... putting the 2 back on the 25.

Nmea4Wifi
Does that show the data in simple human readable form? eg, can you interpret your wind data problems using it?

Bouba

Visit site
I got one of those sails that you get in garden centres for sun shade…put up a couple of 2m long stainless steel tubes and make a quick, cheap, quick and easy to fold away and set up, sun shade on the foredeck coach roof…very popular with the wife who can disappear for hours up front reading her kindle and cuddling her dog…if it wasn’t for the constant bring me tea, wine, juice, coffee, food, cushion, something for the dog…I wouldn’t know she’s onboard

Refueler

Visit site
The idea of the thread ... there are so many items small and large that we don't know about or pass by .. but once someone has it - uses it - it can be useful info for others ...

I saw a box with folding steps in .. simple :

f2rf6kEl.jpg

2Rru61Ql.jpg

CCDeBA3l.jpg

About a fiver ..... just right for pontoon use to get on board ... stows easy .. I'm 110kgs and I can stand on it safely

I like hunting through the camping shelves in local shops ... and you find gems like this :

MpOz6cSl.jpg

takes 4 AAA ... has ring at back to hang from boom etc. - gives a reasonable cockpit light - not enough to read by - but pleasant enough to sit out with friends for a cocktail or two !!

How many have wanted to have a light up fwd when both hands busy ??

tUOxn42l.jpg

The one on left is rechargeable and has a powerful LED beam ... with a lesser halo - great for finding that illusive entrance ....
The one on right is a wide angle LED less bright, runs for ages on 3 AAA's - but perfect for foredeck use / anchoring without destroying helmsmans view ...

OK ... someones out in the dinghy or on deck ... I have a bunch of these - they are actually small clip on warning lights for joggers to wear ... steady light or flashing .. limited waterproof ... so at least for a time if someone goes in - you will have a light to home in on ..
But mainly its a safety item so you know ...

bKg9Lfbl.jpg

Each of above are so cheap .. that you can afford to replace easily.

Refueler

Visit site
These:

View attachment 170822

I've no idea what I'm suposed to do with them but they look good on the chart table.

If I'm right - its to give you equidistant points along a track or line ... ie if you want to extrapolate a plot to see how long before you get to x etc.

One of those great ideas IMHO that looks good but not so good when used !

Refueler

Visit site
Does that show the data in simple human readable form? eg, can you interpret your wind data problems using it?

Its a plexor .. to distribute NMEA / Seatalk / USB data ... it has no display of its own.

If you are asking with regard to the B&G problem I have .. I have not connected the 2 unit to the network - but the 4 unit will be.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
The idea of the thread ... there are so many items small and large that we don't know about or pass by .. but once someone has it - uses it - it can be useful info for others ...

I saw a box with folding steps in .. simple :

f2rf6kEl.jpg

I also had one of those to make it easy to get onboard but a big gust of wind blow it into the water off the dock

Poignard

Visit site
If I'm right - its to give you equidistant points along a track or line ... ie if you want to extrapolate a plot to see how long before you get to x etc.

One of those great ideas IMHO that looks good but not so good when used !
Oh dear, oh dear, it never occurred to me that anyone would take my post seriously, didn't you realise I was 'avin a larf? 🙄

I know perfectly well what they are for; and I do use them. 😉