Novice boater narrowing it down..

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Barry, this thread has gone off on some amusing tangents but not really answered your questions so here's my fourpenny worth
It's very unlikely that you'll keep your first boat a long time because, if you really get into boating, you'll quickly formulate your own ideas as to what you want out of a boat and hanker after another one. So, in order to protect your money, you need to buy a boat that wont lose too much when you sell it. In this respect stick with well known makes and that means British (Fairline, Princess,Sealine,Sunseeker etc) or Scandinavian (Windy,Nimbus, Storebro etc). Avoid US boats as they're harder to sell on
Believe me, it does'nt half wreck your weekend to have to put £400 of petrol in your boat every Sunday evening so go for diesel and, probably, for your budget you're only going to get a decent single engined boat.
Do not think too much about speed. 15-20kts is plenty fast enough in a small boat especially if its choppy
If you're not happy with finance, dont. If your circumstances change it's easy to say that you can always sell the boat on but, even with popular boats it could take months to sell especially during the winter and you could be paying out finance charges when you really cant afford to.
Depreciation. A 10-15 yr old boat (and thats probably what your budget will buy) should have done all its depreciating but the broker will take 6-8% + VAT off you, so reckon on at least losing 10% when you sell
Maintenance. Unless you're really handy with the spanners, even with a single engined diesel boat, reckon on £1000-1500 a year 'coz something is bound to go wrong, or a lot more if you're unlucky.
Just a suggestion but take a look at the Nimbus 2600 or 3000. Single diesel engined (usually with bowthruster), should be good for 15-18kts, cheap to run, roomy inside for their size and should sell on fairly well. A bit sit up and beg and certainly not 'sleek'

G

Re: Sense at last...

Agree with most everything here, Mike! The only thing I would argue with is the complete undesirability of US boats - as long as it's not too large, some of the more ccommon stuff like Bayliners would be easy enough to move on, surely? Also, even with twin V6's, you'd have to work fairly hard to burn £400 in a weekend...

BarryD

Visit site
Re: Are you a chimpanzee- Questionnaire

Surely if you smashed the keyboard with a mouse you're a USER. The bane of anyone in systems life?

Barry D.

G

Re: Are you a chimpanzee- Questionnaire

No, users would smash the screen with the keyboard - far more satisfying...

BarryD

Visit site

Mike / Graham + Others

Thanks again - I'm off to see a number of brokerage yards this weekend. Ranging from Wales, to Windsor to Chichester. Should be fun! Hopefully I will be in a position to commission a survey next week. If I'm not, then no worries - I can keep hunting.

Thanks everyone for the suggesstions so far.

Barry D.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Graham, I never said US boats were undesirable just harder to move on quickly, if you have to. There's nothing inherently wrong with them; after all US boat builders sell them by the thousand worldwide. Its just that invariably, they're petrol powered and therefore much more expensive to run, although cheaper to buy of course
£400 in a weekend? My first boat was a 28' Searay with big Merc petrols which easily consumed 20 gph in total. Lets go to Weymouth for the weekend from Southampton? 2.5 hours each way @ 20-25kts gives 100g @ £4/g = £400
The trouble with big petrol engined boats is that they're a hoot to drive so its easy to burn fuel looning about. Ok, if you're careful and dont go very far, you can keep the cost down but thats no fun, is it?

G

True, but the first time you blow that much in a day, you do learn *some* restraint, if only for a few days... No, I agree, there's nothing wrong with them, and from teh numbers around, I guess there's a good enough market, so do they really take that long to shift? I think once they're 30' plus, and you're into decent Brit cruiser territory, then you'd struggle to move one, but 25/26 foot? Maybe easier?

G

Re: can\'t be an accountant for a living

Please remove yourself from this forum as I'm the accountant hereabouts - a member of the Scottish institute and entitled to the designatory letters PCA, where the 'P' stands for 'Proper'

Och aye the noo!

Nick

G

Re: can\'t be an accountant for a living

Proper Chimp Accountant?

G

Re: ACMA!

Association of Chimps Masquerading as Accountants!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I dont know. I sold my previous boat last year and had to take a 2 yr old Regal 26 foot bubble boat as a p/x. The broker assured me that it would sell on easily. It took 8 months and a large drop in price to shift it.

G

Re: slurs on the accounting profession

OK! Thats it! Both Matts and the Wignall guy (the one with the tickly handshake) are now officially on the list come the revolution.

And anyway you both went ahead with your respective projects (Sea kittens and TekDek) without consulting me. If you find a load on banana skins on your boats, you'll know where they came from!

Nick

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Re: slurs on the accounting profession

Join the club - it seems I'm also on his list come the revolution. We must ask ourselves what sort of accountant would keep a list like that. I would guess his list of clients from this forum will be small!!

hamadi

Visit site
Re: seriously, Graham

My experience with Yamaha diesel is disastrous. Unreliable legs, frequent problems requiring dismantlement of drives and the worst customer satisfaction ever...!

<hr width=100% size=1>

BrendanS

Visit site

Why the heck are you resurrecting 3 year old dead threads all over the place. This must be the third one today , where I had an odd feeling of deja vu before I looked at the posting dates which are 2001!

If you don't like Yamaha, just start a new thread saying so.

<hr width=100% size=1>Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabris, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

hamadi

Visit site

To me old threads are references if kept on the web. Postings provide more information that can be discussed and are in no way blindly directed against Yamaha. Thanks for suggesting a new thread.
Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>