Noonsite advice on Orcas

OldBawley

Visit site
Greek fisherman have been fishing with dynamite for 100 years. They just throw it in and boom.

No harm to the boats. It would not kill a Orca but maybe frighten them.

OldBawley

Visit site
Greek Orthodox Easter is starting. Youth are traditionally playing with firecrackers. Heard some going off already. Some of them are so powerful you can hear them 5 miles. They buy them in the village. Pretty sure some “adults “ play with boom stuff to. Those are no firecrackers.

I was only joking but pretty sure a big boom would keep Orcas of.

OldBawley

Visit site
Those are idiots. Guess I was 8 years old when I threw my first grenade. I grew up in post war Flanders. They ware dredging the canal where fierce fighting had been between Canadians and Germans. Playing kids found unexploded war stuff everywhere. Even we as kids knew you have to throw far and go for shelter. Once we gathered 4 grenades. Not the German, they had wooden handles.

The levers of the grenades war rusted off.

So I had them in my cowboy hat at the back of my bike. I showed them to my father who was military. He went white, gave me a real good lesson (awtch) and buried the grenades in the dike of the canal, at least 4 feet deep.

One stupid thing I did : We found a German helmet. Rusted and no lining. Just metal.

Wieme who was two years older than I (and a lot bigger) was volunteer. Well, sort off. He put the way to big helmet on his head and stood on a ridge of a canal side bunker. We stood about 24 feet above him and dropped a huge cobblestone on his head.

He made a funny noise and dropped forward into the canal.

Took quite some time before we had him out. He lived. Proof of the helmet.

He turned out to be not good at school. I often wondered if it was my fault.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
And who is going to 'do something' - don't hold your breath.

In Portugal? No-one.

However, I agree that culling the three 'rogue' orca is the obvious solution. (But yes, leave no witnesses . . . . )

The Spanish might be more predisposed to do it if the troublesome trio head North again this year.

I realise it is their sea and their right to be in it etc, but if a man-eating tiger is taking babies from a village you kill it. There are more orcas than tigers.

I agree with whoever said it is important this behaviour is not passed on.

- W

saab96

Bath, Somerset or sailing Portugal to Azores
www.lesweatheritt.com
There is far too much speculation and too little knowledge. I have seen many orcas in the last fifty years, most of them like other dolphins ,went on their merry way, ignoring us completely. Occasionally there has been an inspection by a pod but never more than that.The Portuguese authorities are studying the situation and asking for information which is the intelligent course.As far as I know no lives have been endangered and it appears that only one rogue pod out of thousands has been involved. Perhaps the greatest danger comes from excited humans who have never even seen a dolphin.

My real experience of an orca. Off the coast of Africa heading for Senegal we heard the sound of a larger-than-usual dolphin breaking surface two boat-lengths off our stern. Odd, we had seen no other dolphins We watched for it to rise and what came up just a boat-length away was more massive than any dolphin. It lazily surfaced and then slipped under again. It had the distinctive black and white of an orca. It headed to join two more orcas about 500 yards away. We never got closer. They didn’t bother us but I did wonder why this one had been so close to our stern.
In Dakar we met a French boat that was attacked by killer whales right where we saw ours. Lost its rudder. Had to be towed in. Other French sailors said a pod of orcas was always there and always looking for trouble. Bad orcas maybe but I was still glad to have seen them.
I don’t carry guns. No use against pirates – they will always outgun you. And if you shoot an orca make sure one shot kills it because an angry wounded orca will do much worse than take your rudder off.
You could do much worse than find out how humans treat orcas and something about their nature by following this link Orcas Are More Emotionally Complex Than Humans, and Other Facts About These Awesome Mammals and watching Black Fish https://www.blackfishmovie.com.

Ric

Visit site
How about we start culling those stupid humans who build their stupid plastic polluting boats and then start venturing out into the ocean (which is not really where they should be, given they are crap at swimming, can only hold their breath for a minute or so before they drown, and mostly eat pigs, chickens and cows)?

Orcas and dolphins and indeed all marine forna and fauna should be allowed to live their own lives unmolested by stupid land-lubbery humans with their plastic monstrosities and oil and other shit,

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
How about we start culling those stupid humans who build their stupid plastic polluting boats and then start venturing out into the ocean (which is not really where they should be, given they are crap at swimming, can only hold their breath for a minute or so before they drown, and mostly eat pigs, chickens and cows)?

Orcas and dolphins and indeed all marine forna and fauna should be allowed to live their own lives unmolested by stupid land-lubbery humans with their plastic monstrosities and oil and other shit,

Yeah, well, I would be more inclined to agree with this gibberish if the Orcas were attacking fishing boats, trip boats, massively engined motor yachts.

But they are not. They are attacking sailing yachts, the least harmful of the 'plastic monstrosities'

- W

saab96

www.lesweatheritt.com
They have more right to be in the sea that we have to be on it.
I’m not joking - I hope somebody does shoot them as they have now damaged and endangered dozens of boats with nothing to stop their behaviour.
Dozens? As many as that? Was anyone actually hurt? How many orca do we need to kill to "stop their behaviour"?

greeny

Visit site

Do you sail where this is happening, out of interest?

RupertW

Visit site
Dozens? As many as that? Was anyone actually hurt? How many orca do we need to kill to "stop their behaviour"?
Easily as many as dozens - read the reports from the last 13 months.

Boats are being disabled and needing to be towed in - that’s enough danger to warrant a cull.

Seems to be 2 or 3 rogue young males so probably one or two being shot would do it - as you would for a rogue lion or tiger or other wild animal.

grumpygit

Visit site

I tend to agree with the gist of your sentiments, maybe a little harsh though describing " stupid humans who build their stupid plastic polluting boats "
It is humans that are changing their (any sea creature) habitats with intrusion, industrial and domestic chemicals and waste which we could all be classed as being guilty of, sailors of plastic boats or not.
Who knows for certain why they are only reported in showing interest in sailing yachts apart from the belly shape and the fin keel and rudder. They must be some marine experts out there that may take up the challenge to study and deal with this issue appropriately. Or it's just payback for humans being totally selfish and destroying their environment.
We are free as mariners to do more or less as we please, but you wouldn't leave port to sail into a storm or danger so if you are really so concerned, it could be prudent not to sail into their feeding grounds.

Visit site

Boats are being disabled and needing to be towed in - that’s enough danger to warrant a cull.

Seems to be 2 or 3 rogue young males so probably one or two being shot would do it - as you would for a rogue lion or tiger or other wild animal.
Can yu please show reports of dozens because I can't find them ?

rib

Visit site
Going by the replies. I don't think our planet and nature has much chance really.. Can't we just accept its another danger to add to the list... I wonder what would happen if some yet undiscovered creature rose from the depths and took out a yacht/crew... Go all out and kill it suppose ??.

Visit site

Can you please show the reports of dozens because I have only seen a handful ?

saab96

www.lesweatheritt.com

I’ve seen reports. Obviously not the ones you have seen. A few boats damaged. Much fear. No one hurt. This is atypical orca behaviour. Probably an aggressive reaction to stress caused by fishing methods rather than any preference for eatinga human/ GRP sandwich. Therefore distinct from a “rogue” tiger slightly adapting its hunting and diet to include humans. So do we kill orcas because we have stressed them? And if we keep on stressing them do we then have to keep on killing them? Ad infinitum. Given their highly social nature, do we have to kill a whole pod once we kill one member of that pod? Do we have the names and addresses of the guilty orcas or do we just shoot any we see?