Noonsite advice on Orcas

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I’m not joking - I hope somebody does shoot them as they have now damaged and endangered dozens of boats with nothing to stop their behaviour.
A few well advertised really delicious recipes that are a dodle to cook would help. Better than salmon or tuna would have the fishermen wiping them out. Watch out for Greta.

Visit site
Yes, around midnight about 8 miles off the coast.
Firsthand info would be interesting, what did you do and what do the orca do ?
I wish that some posters would realize that the orca is neither a whale nor a fish but a dolphin.

Last edited:

simonck

Visit site
Could some form of localised electric tazer be used at the first sign of attack, in the same way high pitched sound disturbs teenagers when loitering
These animals are quite sensitive to minute electric fields surely a larger one might dampen their spirits slightly.

greeny

Visit site
I don't carry a rifle and doubt that many European cruisers do either, but if I did, I think I may be seriously tempted to shoot them if they were endangering my boat and crew. It's easy to sit here on the forum stating what's right and what's wrong but if I found myself in one of these situations, and felt seriously threatened, I'd use the best means at my disposal to protect myself.
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe any boats or lives have been lost yet. That does not mean that at some point, a boat will not be damaged to the point of causing serious water ingress that will cause a sinking and maybe loss of life.
Wild animals that cause a problem to humans or livestock in other environments are often killed or captured. If this problem is narrowed down to three rogue Orcas, then maybe the right answer is to cull them. Logistically a difficult task I know, but if the opportunity arises then why not.

Seven Spades

Visit site
It is important to cull these animals because this is behaviour that will be passed on from generation to generation making the matter much worse in the long run as more and more pod adopt the same antics.

nortada

Visit site
It is important to cull these animals because this is behaviour that will be passed on from generation to generation making the matter much worse in the long run as more and more pod adopt the same antics.

If you decide to cull these animals, make sure you get a clean swift kill.

A wounded orca could be very bad news. Additionally, if the orcas witness one of their family wounded or killed, it could harden their resolve to attack and sink every boat they see and of course - eat the crew.

As you may gather, I am very unsure of this strategy.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I am not going to do anything but I believe that this animal behaviour can be passed and spread and since it is a small pod of three, I think that it would be the best solution.

Visit site

A wounded orca could be very bad news. Additionally, if the orcas witness one of their family wounded or killed, it could harden their resolve to attack and sink every boat they see and of course - eat the crew.

There is far too much speculation and too little knowledge. I have seen many orcas in the last fifty years, most of them like other dolphins ,went on their merry way, ignoring us completely. Occasionally there has been an inspection by a pod but never more than that.The Portuguese authorities are studying the situation and asking for information which is the intelligent course.As far as I know no lives have been endangered and it appears that only one rogue pod out of thousands has been involved. Perhaps the greatest danger comes from excited humans who have never even seen a dolphin.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I reckon a Japanese "research" ship could sort out the problem in pretty short order.
Some organised research is needed for sure. Collected data would help as per guidance from noonsite. It could become a major problem for a certain type of yacht. I am still thinking about the similarity of a horny mutant species of whale to a fin keeled yacht with a spade rudder. These are fairly new since they are now deemed safe enough to leave the marina and go to sea on a nice day. (Sorry, I can't help it) Defending terrotory from other similar species is par for the course in all life forms.

greeny

Visit site

I agree with all you say. Any culling needs to be researched and controlled. Also needs to be carried out by the authorities in a targeted manner to ensure the correct rogue orcas are dealt with in the appropriate way. I don't for one minute suggest that there should be a free for all on any orcas seen. As has been stated, the Portuguese and probably the Spanish authorities are monitoring and gathering information on the situation. Any culling would have to be carried out in as humane a way as possible for the animals and for the PR backlash that will undoubtedly ensue.