New Greek "Duty" on Yachts Announced

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I don't actually think the Greek government will care one jot if all the foreign registered boats left Greece. The charter boats would still be here of course and they generate a pretty sizeable income. It would be some marinas and related businesses that would feel the most pain if all the foreign flagged boats left.
That's my point Tony , it's not the guy in the street that makes goverment change policy , it Businesses , once it hurt them badly they will be moaning like pigs .
At the moment although I sure some businesses our trying to get this tax kicked out a lot more aren't bothering and it only once it hurts there pocket they will then kick up a fuss .
Ok things may pick up in the next month or so , but so far this year , as far boats goes , charter and private it not looking very good .

Visit site
my boat is based in Kusadasi Turkey and we perhaps would sail in greek waters for 3 weeks twice a year - my boat is 13.4 mtrs how would the proposed tax affect me ?

Tranona

Visit site
my boat is based in Kusadasi Turkey and we perhaps would sail in greek waters for 3 weeks twice a year - my boat is 13.4 mtrs how would the proposed tax affect me ?

Read the published proposals in post #1. That is as clear as possible, but as the posts on this thread suggest it is not yet even passed into law, let alone implemented.

Just visit Greece if you have the right paperwork (VAT paid, EU flagged and EU resident crew) and enjoy.

Palarran

Visit site
People keep on about the little contribution liveaboard make to Greece and as a full time Liveaboard I have to agree ,
but what you seen to be missing here is within the thousands private yacht in Greece from Holland , Germany, France , U.K., Belgium and from the rest of the world , only a very small amount are full time Liveaboard a very large amount are owned by people who come and go though-out the summer and others out for two or three months a year and they do spend quite a lot in restaurant in most case more then the charters , that's without counting transport , flights , car hire , a bus ride now from Athens to say lafkes is over sixty euros one way for a couple , and a taxi 130 , let alone their boat are hauled in and out each year some time twice and having all the servicing and the maintain by local yards and are paying yearly contact to Greek marinas .
Unlike the charter company who some have taken over town walls and local quays , the ones who are in Marina have cut the berthing fees to the bone .
Has for regarding how much charters spend , you need to have a good look around what's happening now , we was only commenting the other day how many charter we seen sitting on board making food and not going out ,
The last two night in Paxos charters where sitting on board eating we seen none in the local restaurant , so they may X amount of couples on charter but there spending no more then we are in shops if any thing we spend more ,

The point I am making is , let stop this crap about charters are the ones who spend money in Greece and private boat contributed hardly nothing .
We been back in Greece for less then six week and so far I spend over 1200 euros that's without the day to day living expenses , that just one boat two people who don't spend much at the best of times and over the next week or so I can see another few hundred euros spend in thing we need to buy , let alone the normal stuff .

I totally agree with you Vic. Your probably one of the few on this forum that would understand the amount of money that I and all my friends who visit me spend in Greece each year, but it's a lot. Even with that, I'd be totally fine with a tax, partly because I used pay one anyway, secondly because the Greeks need it, and third is in the grand scheme of our travels it would be insignificant.

As with all the other postings there have been on this tax, IMO I do hope some people who don't want to pay such a minimal tax to cruise in such a great place leave. It really would be better all around.

charles_reed

Visit site
Palarran has hit it on the head - those who find the proposed tax excessive, either have too large a boat or a psychological resemblence to rt Scrooge.
Regarding Vic's point; most places I've been in this season (about 10) have been reporting a slow start to the season, with an absence of both Greek and foreign tourists. However my 6th night in Sigres Bay (Lesbos), I was joined by two other boats, both of whom went ashore for supper @ the "Remezza".
Both had left by 08:00 this morning.
I'm awaiting some parts from the UK, hence being immobile.

Tony Cross

Visit site

Under the current proposal (which could change) you would be able to pay the tax on a monthly basis, so you'd pay one month's tax (probably around €140 for your boat).

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Under the current proposal (which could change) you would be able to pay the tax on a monthly basis, so you'd pay one month's tax (probably around €140 for your boat).
I bet Chris is very please to hear that. , :) (140 one month )
Although I have heard there a guy going about docking SSR doc and can make your boat small , but you have to take an chainsaw to the bow first .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Palarran has hit it on the head - those who find the proposed tax excessive, either have too large a boat or a psychological resemblence to rt Scrooge.
Regarding Vic's point; most places I've been in this season (about 10) have been reporting a slow start to the season, with an absence of both Greek and foreign tourists. However my 6th night in Sigres Bay (Lesbos), I was joined by two other boats, both of whom went ashore for supper @ the "Remezza".

Hope your part arrive quickie then mine , it two all of two days to get to Athen , then over a week to get to me

charles_reed

Visit site
Hope your part arrive quickie then mine , it two all of two days to get to Athen , then over a week to get to me
Seems about par for English expectations - mine sent yesterday arrival Saturday week. Compared with Kalmar - Myrina (Sweden - Limnos) 2 days. I'm sure it's the Channel, slows everything down.
2 more boats anchored here tonite. I'm glad the one I watched anchoring is to leeward of me. Beautifully dressed (white FW gear) 3 panel rig, and the man, insisting on driving and bellowing at a totally bewildered wife on the foredeck. Not a gnadig Herr.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site

You and others do spout a lot of nonsense .How may I ask do you know the amount of money I spend in Greece each year.
Where's Cronin when you need him .He knew quite a bit about you and your pomposity .

Visit site

correct me if iam wrong but the way I see it is - if I move to Samos Marina as my base I would only pay the tax (less 30% ) for the months I actually leave the marina ?? -

macd

Visit site
correct me if iam wrong but the way I see it is - if I move to Samos Marina as my base I would only pay the tax (less 30% ) for the months I actually leave the marina ?? -

That may be the case, but needs to be clarified.
The translation from Greek first posted includes this: "Idle boats are exempted provided that the documents have been surrendered to the port police office."

It remains to be seen precisely what 'idle' means. With the enacted-but-not-implemented TPP tax of 2014, boats ashore were certainly exempt. That may be the case with the new tax, or it may also include vessels not in circulation (which would itself need defining). No doubt clarification will arrive in due course. There's also been plenty of concern expressed about the wisdom of surrendering documents to an organisation as chaotic as the port police.

Tony Cross

Visit site

It's my understanding that the 30% applies only to vessels over 12m which remain in Greece for the whole year (and thus pay for the whole year). In relation to this possible discount the proposal uses the words '...for those over 12 mtrs permanently staying in Greek ports'.

If your vessel is 'out of use' for the time you're not using it then you don't have to pay the tax. However, currently 'out of use' means you have to hand in your papers to the port police. I know that the CA is opposed to to this element because the port police have no reliable filing system and are quite likely to misplace your valuable documents.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's my understanding that the 30% applies only to vessels over 12m which remain in Greece for the whole year (and thus pay for the whole year). In relation to this possible discount the proposal uses the words '...for those over 12 mtrs permanently staying in Greek ports'.

If your vessel is 'out of use' for the time you're not using it then you don't have to pay the tax. However, currently 'out of use' means you have to hand in your papers to the port police. I know that the CA is opposed to to this element because the port police have no reliable filing system and are quite likely to misplace your valuable documents.

I have to say Tony , anyone who leave papers with port police need their head tested

Visit site

not having left my boat in Greece before - is it similar to Turkey where you put the boat in BOND - before you leave the country - you just surrender your transit log to the marina who also have copies of all the relevant documents - insurance - registration document - the only thing they could loose would be the transit log and they are easily replaceable

Other threads that may be of interest