New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Portofino

Visit site
it can't be about the strength of plastic even if it's bigger!

View attachment 163530
It will be some ( arguably needs updating ) coding / build practice thingy .

Remember your strainers have seacocks so if the lids compromised it can be isolated easily.

One could if it’s got lights simply place a Chinese car back up camera in the stab boxes and wire up to helm station screen .

Of if the wire runs now impossible place screen inside a cupboard of said cabin .

look at them every day then .

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
It will be some ( arguably needs updating ) coding / build practice thingy .

Remember your strainers have seacocks so if the lids compromised it can be isolated easily.

One could if it’s got lights simply place a Chinese car back up camera in the stab boxes and wire up to helm station screen .

Of if the wire runs now impossible place screen inside a cupboard of said cabin .

look at them every day then .
Camera and local screen is good idea given that I have 24v power right there (y)

Though, after initial installation and test, these things are fit and forget, for about 3-5 years in "leisure" use. I think the last time I saw the actuators on my last boat was about 4 years ago. You would hear a mechanical problem, and the system would tell you if significant oil were lost.

jfm

Visit site
Depends on there technical back up .Eg S / Skr at La Napoule have on site teams in a unit nearby with spares etc .
So can via vans get to you within a day .They also prioritise jobs eg toilets that day .
They turned up at 11 pm once to fix ours , although didn’t have to travel far 1 mile .2 hrs of full service done .

Similarly Ferretti vans litter every major CdA marina and beyond sign written with the various brands they support .

It doesn’t just end when the warranty ends , the difference is they invoice you .But the point is it’s easy to access them later .

Another method that seems popular if it’s long range is the dealer allows local authorisation of minor stuff by local marina techs .Obviously under a certain amount and with prior approval. Saves sending some one , both in terms of delay and the dealer s expense.

I used S/Skr again with the Itama as the charger seemingly went .A sub contractor arrived that day with spares on the van .Diagnosed it’s was knackered fitted a spare 100 A and returned a week later to fit the definitive new one , removing the “ spare “ .Told me and i guess this is pretty much the same with SL charter boats , captains expect instant fixes there and then so he carries loadsa stuff , generic parts like chargers etc on the van .
This guy was Italian based in Italy but he was more reliable to CdA Sunseeker than any local Fr boat sparkies .
Runs up and down the whole strip Cannes - Genoa .

Would imagine SL have a pretty good network of fixers .

Having said all this you do hear about long warranty delays and pass the parcel stories with new boats ( neighbours ) .Stuck in port .
All generally agreed.

I think plenty of builders offer one year not 2 though, but I'm not sure who does what bcz it's not high on my priorities list. Pearl offer 5 years by the way, but their build quality on 95 is very visibly different.

Broken toilet not priority on this boat as it has 9 :) (because 10 would be excessive)

MapisM

Visit site
Yes for sure, but when you're trying to get a builder (who knows what they are doing so has "strong views") to accept 300 line items of customisation requests, you need to pick your battles and not bother with item #301 :) Pretty sure I can do this retrofit if I feel the need, either a whole panel in 25mm plastic (polycarbonate maybe) or a catalogue marine glazed hatch within SL's solid hatch/lid.
Haha, yeah, I can imagine that they are used to clients whose customization requests are well above competitors' average, but you're well above also SL average for sure! :)
Otoh, maybe it's me, but I hate any kind of onboard equipment not only completely hidden, but also hard to access ("hatch with a zillion bolts").
Here's a thought, which they might consider also because quite likely they are already using the same supplier:
At SCM Marine they build top quality hatches, portholes, etc. - including fully custom stuff for superyachts, also built to class.
Among other products, they do an almost flush polished s/s porthole which is a work of art and would be nice to look at even if it were in the saloon.
If you could get two of those built to measure for the box apertures, at SL they could directly bond to the box the flange of the porthole itself, job done.
And you would kill two birds with one stone: actuators fully viewable, and very easily accessible in seconds, with no need to unscrew any bolt. (y)

MapisM

Visit site
Would imagine SL have a pretty good network of fixers
Their reputation precedes them, and I can't think of any yard that wouldn't be willing to work for them - whether for warranty jobs or anything else.
Even my usual yard, almost lost in the middle of nowhere and which is not formally "SL authorized" or whatever, has done several jobs for SL.
Including a warranty job on the boat of Mike F (formerly of this parish), which is a Ferretti but he bought her used from SL with a full one year warranty.

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
We had a few new SLs coming locally in recent years SL106 (not A), SD112, SL86, SX76 and the four of them had little warranty work needed on them.

I think all are fitted with stab fins with the exception of the SL86.

Perotti has really stream lined the efficiency of production and warranties, which was a bit the problem with Janetti who always insisted for boats to be returned in Viareggio to do work,
Not a thing of Janetti alone, as smaller builders tend to suffer the after sales dealership (car copied) service.
It is hard if you are a semi custom builder building ten boats a year to offer this kind of service, which is what the client expects today being used to this service in his car, and for many a boat is a car on the water.

jfm

Visit site
That sounds good PYB. I realise there are historical stories of some SL's needing too much warranty, but when I look at the business today I can't see it in their current production. All I can see is ultra quality. I have good contact with 2 x SL86 owners, and 1xSL96A owner, and they report no unusual warranty claims. I've just discovered today that a good friend of a colleague at work here just took delivery of a new Sanlorenzo SD96 and I'll find out that develops any warranty claims.

Very strange to hear of an SL86 without stabilisers - that's quite a corner cut = €150k on a €7m boat!

jfm

Visit site
Haha, yeah, I can imagine that they are used to clients whose customization requests are well above competitors' average, but you're well above also SL average for sure! :)
Otoh, maybe it's me, but I hate any kind of onboard equipment not only completely hidden, but also hard to access ("hatch with a zillion bolts").
Here's a thought, which they might consider also because quite likely they are already using the same supplier:
At SCM Marine they build top quality hatches, portholes, etc. - including fully custom stuff for superyachts, also built to class.
Among other products, they do an almost flush polished s/s porthole which is a work of art and would be nice to look at even if it were in the saloon.
If you could get two of those built to measure for the box apertures, at SL they could directly bond to the box the flange of the porthole itself, job done.
And you would kill two birds with one stone: actuators fully viewable, and very easily accessible in seconds, with no need to unscrew any bolt. (y)
That's a nice idea. SCM stuff is all works of art. But I have hit a "no more changes to the spec" point with SL. because they have ordered everything and are busy building the boat. I can't ask for changes now unless absolutley mission critical, so this will have to be a retro job.

MapisM

Visit site
OT warning PMapis speaking of NautiStyles did you see the mess they did with this review.
They called the VZ18 the 56, some research is hard nowadays, it is not that a VZ18 is similar to the 16/56....
I only just had time to watch that sh!t.
I sincerely hope that someone more knowledgeable than myself about this couple will confirm that they were wealthy enough to buy a new $5M (or whatever) boat regardless of the income from their YT channel.
If it would be this kind of total garbage content that is granting them such return, I'd lose the will to live... 😖
Incidentally, she's by far the worst VZ18 I've ever seen - though that's not their fault, of course.

Bouba

Visit site
I sincerely hope that someone more knowledgeable than myself about this couple will confirm that they were wealthy enough to buy a new $5M (or whatever) boat regardless of the income from their YT channel.
If it would be this kind of total garbage content that is granting them such return, I'd lose the will to live... 😖
Incidentally, she's by far the worst VZ18 I've ever seen - though that's not their fault, of course.
I think if JFM did a YouTube channel on the building of his SL96 it would probably pay for itself

jfm

Visit site
That channel is definitely not paying for the Bering Mapism. Nick/Aquaholic, who knows a thing or two about what YouTube pays, confirmed that. Their channel is a ballpark $10k/month thing. They suddenly got a lump sum from somewhere -inheritance or something.

sap_2000

Visit site
Build-036-230725-transom-and-prop-tunnels.jpg
Thanks for take the time to poste so detailed about your build @jfm :)

One Q. That metal strip along the centre half of the prop tunnels, are those fixed interceptors to prevent high nose-up running angle?

I know fixed interceptors have been fitted with great success to some older boats with big prop tunnels that was know to run a bit high nose up, such as older Sunseekers.

Portofino

Visit site
Yes ^ prop tunnels destroy stern lift , it’s the price of the lower shaft angles .Which in tern is adverse side effect of pushing the machinery space shaft and using V drive gear boxes , you but you do end up with more hotel accommodation.

On that hull it’s adjustable after sea trials. The actual vertical plate ( not shown ) has oval holes so after a lift( or diver ) its final dip down can gained . Then it’s fixed .

Interrupts the water flow and reduces stern sinking , or corrects your high bow nose up as you say .

jfm

Visit site
Thanks for take the time to poste so detailed about your build @jfm :)

One Q. That metal strip along the centre half of the prop tunnels, are those fixed interceptors to prevent high nose-up running angle?

I know fixed interceptors have been fitted with great success to some older boats with big prop tunnels that was know to run a bit high nose up, such as older Sunseekers.
Porto isn’t correct on all fronts.

Their purpose is only to clean the water flow as it shoots out the back, so as not to hit the (big) swim platform so hard.

It’s self evident that they are not interceptors designed to adjust the trim attitude, or they would be bigger. This is a 100 ton boat, 110 with fuel, and those plates are tiny. Plus, the majority of the length of the plates isn’t horizontal, which it would need to be to make lift.

There is no correction needed for the engines being on v drives.The engines are 4 tons each and having them 2m further forward wouldn’t change much. There is 60 tons of boat in front of the engines plus 13 tons of fluids.

Tunnels don’t destroy stern lift but that comment comes from a guy who doesn’t understand hydrodynamics (viz. the spray rail daft debate). This is naturally a very flat running Italian hull and needs no correction. It doesn’t plane by lifting right out of the water like smaller boats - it stays quite deep in the water even at 18-20kts. No comparison to sunseeker lighter stuff. Eg opening scenes of this video, even though it’s running slower. (Btw, my interior will be nothing like the interior of the boat in this video)

By the way sap2000 that picture doesn’t actually show the plate that sticks down; it shows the mounts for that plate, which isn’t yet installed in that picture. I will post a better pic of the plate when I get a minute.

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Here it’s been discussed at L

Interceptor plates on pockets/tunnels? - General Yachting Discussion | YachtForums: We Know Big Boats!
For those not able to log in ^

A few quote s but they are in agreement on the same page .

1- Regarding fixed “interceptor strips” around the tunnels, my 62’ Neptunus Yachts also has them, which I also found interesting and almost counterintuitive at first. But from a fluid dynamics perspective, what the specialized interceptor plate does, in layman’s terms is: create a pressure wave from the interceptor plate forward, effectively increasing the pressure in the tunnel between the plate and the propeller. The propeller, however, has so much more vertical surface area for the pressure wave to act upon pushing the boat forward compared to the interceptor’s drag. So that when properly designed, the net effect can be to increase lift and thrust in the tunnel.

2-
The placement of these plates around the prop pockets would be an effective way to induce positive trim via thrust. It should be specifically useful coming on plane where traditional interceptors are not because they are typically mounted outboard of the thrust line, closer to the chines to control roll.

3- It acts as a trim tab and does provide considerable lift, just like how Interceptor and QL and zipwake blade style trim tabs work. Think of flaps in an airplane. the piece bolted onto the stern is a fix for an engineering #*%* up.

4 I agree Pascal. The vertical sections appear to create more drag than lift, but it's the sum of the surface area that is contributing to an encapsulating effect. The vertical sections aren't just redirecting flow, they're diverting thrust which adds lift coming on plane.

5 It was added to fix a hull that performed improperly. It does give the vessel stern lift while at planing speeds. The same exact way QL, Humphree and other tabs work.

This is just a small sample of responses .

jfm

Visit site
Yes that is a bunch of responses from yachtforums. Possibly the best place on the planet to go to get duff information on boats. It’s moderated awfully (including that thread, heavily) and is remarkable for its absence of primary knowledge and objectivism. If you’re trying to prove a point to me Porto by quoting yachtforums, forget it. It counts for zilch.

MapisM

Visit site
This is just a small sample of responses .
None of which came from people who actually knew the answer to the OP question "what this plate is for?".
But as often happen in that forum (and in the US of A in general, for cultural reasons, but let's leave this aside), rather than just stay put or admit to not know something, several folks started to speculate and spout wild guesses pretending they were gospel truth.
As you also did, without missing the opportunity to throw in also your usual photo of a 77yo (!) book on naval architecture at your feet.

And when I literally wrote "I don't have the faintest idea" about the reason for that plate, you insisted to ask, as if you knew I was covering a crime or something. To the point that I answered your last request "can you enlighten us..." with the following post (cut and paste):
I already told you I can't, for the very simple reason that commenting without knowing ain't my habit.
I appreciate that you might find this unusual, but you can save yourself the time to insist further.

Which BTW was the very last post of that utterly useless thread - thanks God.

But you know what? NOW I can answer your question.
And I can because I learned that answer from jfm - who in turn I'm sure learned it straight from the horse's mouth.
Simple and straightforward, hence surely disappointing for you and all those who wrote all the unsubstantiated speculations that you resurrected, I guess.
OTOH, there you go. That's internet forums for you.