New build Sanlorenzo SL96A 2024

Bouba

Visit site
Perhaps the pads are to raise the hardware up closer to the level of the hawse
With this much mental effort put into a round piece of teak... I can see it would take a lot of effort to spec a boat this size🤔🥺

billskip

Visit site
Exactly .It won’t be a typical soft teak that compressors like normal deck stuff .It will be a bigger pad area of some steel like hard wood .There are some hard woods out there that almost break drill bits very dense stuff ,tricky to even saw .No sponginess to see here .

Think the principal of normal washers used in bolting up .Aside there will be a backing plate underneath normally aluminium . So this is a additional surface area increase thingy on the top surface .

Your compressive dismissal does not account for the grp + it’s core+ reinforcement if any .All of which will dimensionally alter with temp fluctuations and as you say time .

It’s a good way of maxing up the SA and being reasonably aesthetic .It ain’t gonna compress , loosen out the bolts no more than any other of the materials between the blots on the underside of the cleats + nuts securing .

Aesthetically of course it’s subjective.It ain’t there only for this though.

As far as failure it ain’t anything to do with or very rare the bolts , it’s the material the thing s attached to .Ie a huge dinner plate of grp or what ever rips out taking decking .Not a couple of bolt fractures leaving clean holes as you infer .
There are many sailing boats out there with very big genoa head sails that put tons of stress on winch that dont have pads....

JJCD

Visit site
if I put the sailboat on the flybridge a lot I'll swap the Laser for an RS Aero which is a fun boat and incredibly light. hence easy to put on the flybridge (35 kilos for the hull, IIRC).

I have an Aero and it would be ideal for this purpose! Lightweight and great fun to sail, I've also been a Laser sailor and would never go back. Also (as i'm sure you know) the sail uses a halyard rather than a sleeve - I'd imagine this would make assembly/launching/recovery from a superyacht much easier!

jfm

Visit site
I have an Aero and it would be ideal for this purpose! Lightweight and great fun to sail, I've also been a Laser sailor and would never go back. Also (as i'm sure you know) the sail uses a halyard rather than a sleeve - I'd imagine this would make assembly/launching/recovery from a superyacht much easier!
Many thanks JJCD. Good to hear that. I’ve stuck with the Laser for nostalgic reasons (I raced them as a teenager) but I really should move on to the Aero. It’s perfect for this application in.so many ways including the 2 part unstayed mast. Hopefully I can sell the Laser on eBay or something, or find a deserving kid to donate it to.

Reactions: llj

Hurricane

Visit site
I spent most of my sailing life in Hurricanes but there wasn't room on the Princess for one so in SCM, we have been sailing these:-

IMG_9110.resized.JPG

Inflatable so don't take up much space (ours packs into the crews cabin).
Not quite the excitement of the Hurricane.
Its more about keeping the pace of life slow!!

But I like your idea of the Aero.

jfm

Visit site
Not much news to report, as the hull and deck mouldings are nearly finished but are still in the moulds for a few more weeks, curing. I'm going to factory in Italy early next month, so will update then. I'm busy exchanging lots of furniture design and tech spec details with the factory, but that's quite dull to report on here. Meantime, here are some pictures of the RIB chase boat. This is a 50/50 boat share with my brother (= poster SilverDee) because his boat is berthed next to mine in France and so this RIB will serve as a chase boat to his boat as well as mine.

It's a Ribeye Prime 8-21, being built by the Ribeye team in Dartmouth, and due for delivery June 2023. The spec is below and resulted in quite a narrow choice:
  1. Must have WC
  2. Builder must do extensive custom work
  3. Vac infused hull preferred
  4. Only one engine (because 2 = double hassle imho) and Yam 300 or Verado v8 300 preferred
  5. Small enough to be towed by 24m/30m motherships
  6. Hardtop
  7. Anchor on auto electric windlass set up
  8. No GRP moulding on top of the bow tubes, so the bow/anchor can't damage the mothership when approaching or when being used as a tugboat
  9. Generally be sporty and nice

That short list rules out the mass produced stuff like Brig/Grand (which are very good boats imho, but just didn't fit this brief). Scorpion make beautiful boats but their model in this particular size range, the Serket 88, has no WC, an ugly T Top imho, and a few other details that don't work well in this context imho. That basically left us with Cobra and Ribeye, both of which are perfect for this job. Ribeye a little bit more expensive but the premium is justified imho. I saw both boats side by side at Southampton boat show 2022 and both kindly sent me a proposal but Ribeye won it (just!).

Aside from the boats, it is impossible not to love the Ribeye team. They could teach virtually every other boat dealer on the planet how to greet maybe-customers, such was their approach when I "cold-call" walked onto their stand on the last day of the Southampton boat show with no prior contact or appointment. They had no idea we would place a c.ÂŁ1/4m order 5 days later yet treated us as though we already had. They gave us a friendly no-nonsense welcome and invited us to look at everything, talk to a build engineer, and offered us G+T's. When all we said was we were vaguely interested in an 8m RIB project. Later on, I would learn that they never say no to difficult technical requests, are super fast in responding, very fair on option pricing, and have bacon sandwiches waiting for us on arrival in Dartmouth. I've met/spoken to/emailed about a dozen people now in Ribeye's team and every one of them clearly cares about the boats, business and customers. I really take my hat off to them for the business they have built.

So here's the boat spec.

Model = "Prime 8-21"​
Yamaha 300hp in white paint, steer-by-wire all electronic with autopilot​
Med colour scheme as shown in renders below​
T Top​
Big + small Garmin screens​
Joystick for engine​
AIS Tx, VHF​
Fusion music with 6 speakers, subwoofer and amp​
Fake teak decks with light grey caulk​
Fridge​
Electric anchor​
Samson post for med mooring, and towing prep for chase boat usage​
Freshwater deck shower​
Freshwater flush Tecma WC in the big boat size, and black tank​
Buytl lined pipe for black tank system, not the white PVC stuff​
Fancy lighting generally​
Lumishore underwater lights​
Swim platforms and ladder​
Isotta ISM steering wheel with buttons taken from Fairline F/33. This is a first for Ribeye, and Fairline are very kindly helping with the install because it's not straightforward - the steering wheel buttons basically emit a series of J1939 sentences and you need to program a digital switching box to respond to them and turn on the lights or the horn or whatever.​
Variable speed Sleipner bow thruster​
Suspension helm seats​
Lunch table​
Boarding steps, and dive ladder preparation​

Pictures below are renders, and I'll dig out some in-build pictures in next couple of days.

Ribeye-render-1.jpg

Ribeye-render-2.jpg

Ribeye-render-3.jpg

Ribeye-render-5.jpg

Ribeye-render-6.jpg

Ribeye-steering-wheel.jpg

Last edited:
Visit site
Not auctually sure whether they use a classic leadscrew or a ball screw in these Colin, but I suspect leadscrew. But I think plenty of the linear actuators are gear not belt driven.

New outboards come with leadscrew electric integrated steering, so this is definitely where things are going. On our chase boat for this Sanlorenzo (of which I'll post pics when I get a minute - it's well into its build) we have specced electric steering (steer by wire) on a Yamaha 300. I'm expecting this to be great, and it allows a joystick on the dashboard. Good thing about this is you get an autopilot almost for free, just for the cost of the little computer, without having to fit an autopilot pump etc. The cost in autopilots is the steering pump and piping, not the computer.

Are you getting the full Yamaha Helm Master system fitted?

jfm

Visit site
Yes, the full Helm Master EX, so called "Level 4".
HELM MASTER™ EX | YAMAHA MOTOR CO., LTD.

I'm hoping that in a while Yamaha will integrate their joystick with the Sleipner variable speed bow thruster soon, so that with a firmware upgrade the joystick will move the boat sideways. Not necessary of course, but nice for less experienced drivers and for perfect "touch and gently hold against the mother ship" to let guests transfer between boats.

Last edited:

jfm

Visit site
Very nice, I've just spotted that yours is single engine, so I assume the Helm Master also incorporates the bow thruster to give you the full manoeuvrability that is usually achieved by vectoring multiple engines?
Nope, see above, it is coming later this year I think (based on grapevine and an already marketed Yamaha product for USA pontoon boats). Till then the joystick has limited ability to perform tricks with a single engine.

jfm

Visit site
Errr, is the steering wheel on the correct side?
It's a free choice - Ribeye will put the wheel either side and the Prime 8-21s they have already built come in both flavours. I like right hand on throttle, so specced it this way round. I realise the imperfection of port side helm with r/h prop but am happy to live with that on a boat of this size/weight

jfm

Visit site
Ribeye's marketing video is here. Prime comes in "8-21" version (as we have ordered) and a longer "9-41" version, and both are in this video. LOA are as name suggests 8.21m and 9.41m. The bigger one needs 2 engines and is imho too big/heavy as a towed/chase boat for a 30m mothership.

This video shows a single SBW Yamaha 300hp being driven by joystick, on a Ribeye Prime 8-21, so exactly my set up, except that I'll have a variable speed bow thruster too. Nothing great for an experienced driver imho, but might be handy for les experienced drivers (eg my stewardess will drive this boat and will appreciate the joystick).

Last edited:
Reactions: MrB
Visit site
Nope, see above, it is coming later this year I think (based on grapevine and an already marketed Yamaha product for USA pontoon boats). Till then the joystick has limited ability to perform tricks with a single engine.
Limited indeed, in my opinion with only single engine control you are really missing the most important feature of joystick piloting which is the ability to truly move the boat in any direction as this can only be achieved with either multiple independently steered engines or a system which incorporates bow thruster control in a single engine setup. I have seen joystick systems which do incorporate bow thruster control so I'm surprised Yamaha haven't got there yet.

I'm still amazed at how good joystick piloting is on multi engine boats, it must be the single biggest advancement in vessel manoeuvrability since the bow thruster was invented. It can make tricky berthing even by completely unskilled people look easy and in some situations it gives you a level of control not even possible without such a system as you obviously can't steer outboards independently with a traditional helm. Plus the extra convenience features like side push and dynamic positioning make things so effortless.

Just out of interest why did you choose to go with the single 300 instead of twin 150 or something? Apologies if you've already covered this, I haven't read the whole thread

paradave

Visit site
That’s an incredible looking RIB.
I’m perpetually amazed at how much things cost in boat world and ribs are no exception, however it’s very in keeping with the mother ship. Would you normally tow a chase boat? (Zero exposure to this world!).

Bouba

Visit site
For towing are you going to pull her by the Samson post, or use a bridle, or tow alongside ?

MapisM

Visit site
I realise the imperfection of port side helm with r/h prop but am happy to live with that on a boat of this size/weight
Yup, I'm also sure it won't be a problem, but you could as well fit a l/h prop instead.

SC35

Visit site
It's a free choice - Ribeye will put the wheel either side and the Prime 8-21s they have already built come in both flavours. I like right hand on throttle, so specced it this way round. I realise the imperfection of port side helm with r/h prop but am happy to live with that on a boat of this size/weight

Swings and roundabouts: my preference would have been to helm on the RHS and not to have my throttle arm waggling around in front of the passenger, but I'm not sure how that could be achieved with that dash layout. Probably less of an issue if you are driving LHD cars on a regular basis anyway.

Looks fab otherwise.

John100156

Visit site
Looks fantastic I do like Ribeye's - Some throw away thoughts: I can see the aft facing diagonal support just below the Canopy/Bimini being used as a grab rail, so assume it will be significantly robust! A stanchion either side running down towards the stern would significantly strengthen it, but may spoil the look. I agree one engine makes perfect sense, perhaps adding a fitting for a Torqeedo or similar as a backup for emergency use, just to get back to base - expect you could cobble that together to use a common battery....