New Bavaria motor boat - Dealer and Bavaria not resolving challenges - any similar experiences or suggestions?

rafiki_

Visit site
I seem to remember another forum member Scala who bought a Bavaria and also had issues mainly engine and performance related which were never resolved by Clipper or Volvopenta , the boat was put up for sale then a buyer for this boat came on here for advice on what to do as he wanted to reject it as it simply didn’t perform as it stated in the brochure ,the same issues Scala had, he had a battle getting his deposit back from memory , he took much advice from the forum , I’ve no idea what the outcome was .
Sorry Paul, but this is totally incorrect. Scala did have some issues on his boat, and these were fully resolved by the dealer and VP, with extended warranties before the boat was offered for sale. A potential buyer was put off the boat by some incorrect posts on this forum. Another, very happy buyer has a lovely and well cared for boat now.
While this forum is an amazing source of knowledge and information, there is also some rubbish that needs to be ignored at times.

Bouba

Visit site
In my experience, non premium brands, have very little patience with snagging lists....a boat snagging list can be long, and often takes a while to find or develop, they will usually respond to the first few on your first list...after that forget it, because they have forgot you. I wrote directly to the CEO...that got me a couple more things done...but that’s it.
The marine industry leaves a lot to be desired

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I seem to remember another forum member Scala who bought a Bavaria and also had issues mainly engine and performance related which were never resolved by Clipper or Volvopenta , the boat was put up for sale then a buyer for this boat came on here for advice on what to do as he wanted to reject it as it simply didn’t perform as it stated in the brochure ,the same issues Scala had, he had a battle getting his deposit back from memory , he took much advice from the forum , I’ve no idea what the outcome was .
That was me. Engine problem was resolved eventually but took a long time. There were no performance problems other than fouling related, common to many outdrive boat of course, and the potential sale you refer to was screwed by the broker stupidly doing the sea trial before the lift and scrub. Boat was 100% afterwards of course on the re-test, but the ill-informed speculation about why it didn’t hit the max speed, based on zero knowledge (hardly counts as ‘advice’) from certain keyboard warriors who knew f*ck all about the situation, put the buyer off and cost me my sale.

Also to put the record straight I refunded him without question.

Last edited:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
That was me. Engine problem was resolved eventually but took a long time. There were no performance problems other than fouling related, common to many outdrive boat of course, and the potential sale you refer to was screwed by the broker stupidly doing the sea trial before the lift and scrub. Boat was 100% afterwards of course on the re-test, but the ill-informed speculation about why it didn’t hit the max speed, based on zero knowledge (hardly counts as ‘advice’) from certain keyboard warriors who knew f*ck all about the situation, put the buyer off and cost me my sale.

Also to put the record straight I refunded him without question.
Interesting , why have you changed your name on here ? Did you buy another boat ?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Sorry Paul, but this is totally incorrect. Scala did have some issues on his boat, and these were fully resolved by the dealer and VP, with extended warranties before the boat was offered for sale. A potential buyer was put off the boat by some incorrect posts on this forum. Another, very happy buyer has a lovely and well cared for boat now.
While this forum is an amazing source of knowledge and information, there is also some rubbish that needs to be ignored at times.
Really , I know all the information on this story of which I won’t mention on here to the point I was asked to sea trial it for a prospective buyer but I declined the offer , I’m not prepared to say anymore other than shall we say the trade talks to the trade . So it’s not incorrect .

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Pm sent

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Pm sent

stelican

Visit site
Really , I know all the information on this story of which I won’t mention on here to the point I was asked to sea trial it for a prospective buyer but I declined the offer , I’m not prepared to say anymore other than shall we say the trade talks to the trade . So it’s not incorrect .
I don't think Rafaki would post incorrect information.

Martxer

Visit site
To be honest I was put off by the actions of the broker

ashtead

Visit site
It’s sad we have heard no more from the OP of the alledged failings of Clipper -as a seller of a boat through them I have always found them good for Bavaria sales -clearly if buying the experience might be different but I suspect on many aspects rectification lies in hands of the underlying technical provder . Warranty claims though some dealers of secondhand boats like Argo are relatively rare I believe but others might know a lot more as to the actual number and handling thereof.

Bouba

Visit site
I don’t know about Bavaria...but what often happens to me is I complain to the dealer who says it’s the manufacturers problem...who in turn say it’s the dealer...each washing their hands of you leaving you with no recourse

Seastoke

Visit site
Whilst we all have an opinion on most things , good or bad . This is a forum so people who start a a new thread should expect all types of answers like me I like to make light of most thing , and then there is the experts who thinks others should just listen . NO this is a forum so let us small boaters have our say.

jordanbasset

Visit site
Whilst we all have an opinion on most things , good or bad . This is a forum so people who start a a new thread should expect all types of answers like me I like to make light of most thing , and then there is the experts who thinks others should just listen . NO this is a forum so let us small boaters have our say.
What about big boaters and just how small are you?

Portofino

Visit site
On the wider subject of break downs and failing machinery i have noticed a huge increase over the recent decade of how shall I say it mechanical numbties . They walk amongst us !

These are guys who have no idea what to do if a engine check warning light comes on .Be it car or boat . Have such minute mechanical/ electrical knowledge they don't see potential gotcha , can’ t head off a breakdown at the pass so to speak . Never oil lub , check electrical connections , are oblivious to seawater effects rinsing the engine room .

Just rely on on a kinda third party “ the book “ the manufacturers schedule.Never get there hands dirty .
Assume it’s new must be ok esp as it cost a zillion bucks .

Can’t when looking at design + machinery distinguish metaphorically speaking a chocolate tea pot from porcelain.

Not saying the op is this kinda bloke at all .

But this thread now begs the Q if the exact same boat was delivered into another blokes hands ….would there be a different , I mean better outcome?

Reactions: vas

Fire99

Visit site
On the wider subject of break downs and failing machinery i have noticed a huge increase over the recent decade of how shall I say it mechanical numbties . They walk amongst us !

These are guys who have no idea what to do if a engine check warning light comes on .Be it car or boat . Have such minute mechanical/ electrical knowledge they don't see potential gotcha , can’ t head off a breakdown at the pass so to speak . Never oil lub , check electrical connections , are oblivious to seawater effects rinsing the engine room .

Just rely on on a kinda third party “ the book “ the manufacturers schedule.Never get there hands dirty .

Can’t when looking at design + machinery distinguish metaphorically speaking a chocolate tea pot from porcelain.

But this thread now begs the Q if the exact same boat was delivered into another blokes hands ….would there be a different , I mean better outcome?
This is perhaps a bit of a thread drift but complexity is a contributing factor. With systems becoming more computerised, from fly by wire throttles to more complexity of networked instruments, I think some find the entire setup too intimidating and leave everything to the 'experts'. It's a risky business when you're going to sea in something you have no idea how it works.

Elessar

Visit site

Agree Porto. And the lack of response from the OP kinda supports the theory.

And whilst you were not suggesting this, for the avoidance of doubt, scala / sticky fingers should not be tarred with this brush.