Navico RT6500S

James

Visit site
Is this radio any good?
How does £50 or £60 sound second hand? I've been offered one.
Thanks for any advise.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Ivy

Visit site
I presume it is a fixed VHF set?

I would sugest you get a DSC radio, you can buy one for less than £200 now. In a few years the old VHF won't be much good.

If you are stuck without a radio pick up a cheap hand held, these are always usefull when the Mate goes off in the dnghy.

<hr width=100% size=1>

dickh

Visit site
My friend had one on his last boat, worked OK. Your price of £50 to £60 is about right, but insist on seeing it work before parting with cash... Should be able to do if your near the coast

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Mudhook

Visit site
Make sure it works and buy it. They are a very good set and will last for years. If you are short of money, a decent second-hand fixed set to get you by is a far better bet than a cheapo DSC, and 1+1 DCS/Controller units are a waste of time, money and space in my view. And a hand-held as your boat's main radio seems unwise. I was able to replace my defunct Navico RT6500S with an unused, identical set, still in its box, for £100 recently, sourced through the web, so your £60 is about right.

If you have the (somewhat obscure) round power feed plug and don't have the male part to plug into the radio, you can get 'em from Radio Shack. Later models had a flat nylon plug.
best of luck.

Mudhook.

<hr width=100% size=1>

James

Visit site
THANKS also Swiftech M198 handheld

Is the swiftech M198 any good. Approx £50. Only worry is that the battery pack is a unit i.e. if duff - will need fiddling about to install new batts.

<hr width=100% size=1>