Naming a new boat. Conventions, superstitions, legalities etc?

Zing

Visit site
I quite like the name of the old boat, which I am keeping and not selling: the good ship ‘Venus’. The question is what’s the new boat #2 to be called? The former owners name is not very nice and I’d rather not be stuck with it even if it means risking upsetting Neptune. So what’s it to be: ‘Venus II’ or ‘Venus’ on another ship register (they don’t allow more than one boat with a specific name on each register), or ought it to be something new, like ‘Saturn’ or whatever?

jwilson

Visit site
On UK Part I registry you can only have one "Venus", but uou can have "Venus of Little Piddlington" or other variants until you hit on a unique name. On SSR ( Part 3) you can have dozens of "Venus" names.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
I quite like the name of the old boat, which I am keeping and not selling: the good ship ‘Venus’. The question is what’s the new boat #2 to be called? The former owners name is not very nice and I’d rather not be stuck with it even if it means risking upsetting Neptune. So what’s it to be: ‘Venus II’ or ‘Venus’ on another ship register (they don’t allow more than one boat with a specific name on each register), or ought it to be something new, like ‘Saturn’ or whatever?
My first boat was ‘Good Ship Venus’ but the SSR wouldn’t allow my preferred choice of The Good Ship Venus as they said the ‘The’ prefix was confusing.
ISTR the pt1 register needs a unique name, but I know the pt3 SSR will allow the same name more than once

Zing

Visit site
The only way to avoid the inevitable bad luck that Neptune dishes out when you rename your boat is to invite at least twenty forumites to the renaming ceremony, where you will provide free rum until an Uber/water taxi is the only safe way for the forumites to return to their own boats.
That's the best insurance policy I have encountered. Where do I sign?

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Your name isn't Carter by any chance, is it?

johnalison

Visit site
You could modify the Venus a bit. Aphrodite might not appeal, but you could be Venusian. Maybe Parvenus wouldn’t work, but I quite fancy Cupid.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
All so evocative, but could you not find a name harder to comprehend and that doesn't require a constant use of phonetic spelling? Zphersztigztz perhaps?
There's something hard to comprehend about "gorgeous backside, but sounds classy"? 🤔

I accept that spelling it out and/or being referred to as "Callow Pigeon" could be a drawback. Worse in the Thames Estuary than the Hamble, I imagine.