Naming a new boat. Conventions, superstitions, legalities etc?

KevinV

Visit site
In your case, Echo might have been more apt. :unsure:
There seem to be quite a few love goddesses around the place who I'm looking forward to meeting. Branwen, Frigga, Astarte, Benzai-Ten, Oshun and Parvati came as the result of a quick search.
Frigga presumably being the goddess of, erm, "self-love" ? 🤔

Zing

Visit site
I'm just wondering, why do people name their yachts with successive numbers: 'Venus II' for example? Others retain names when they sell, I think to use on their new yachts, so it's not always necessary it seems. Is it just a fear of the Gods and bad fortune?

Trident

Visit site
The bad luck thing was much like early religion - tall tales to keep simple minds following good practice... in the days when all boats were wood, changing the name meant re-carving the wood which of course made it thinner and weaker - so without precise scantlings etc it was a potentially dangerous thing to do so boat builders told people it was bad luck .

At least this is the explanation an old wooden boat builder gave me

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Beware the register and adding a place name. Some friends named their boat ‘Bella’ but of course it was taken. The nice lady at the reg office suggested ‘Bella of London’, which the friends thought was excellent. Til they discovered ( don’t ask me how) that this is the name of a call girl agency.

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
You could modify the Venus a bit. Aphrodite might not appeal, but you could be Venusian. Maybe Parvenus wouldn’t work, but I quite fancy Cupid.
When my Good Ship Venus went to Greece with me, I explained to my Greek friends that the name translated into Greek was ‘e Kala Varka Afrotheetee’ from an ancient British heroic fable / rugby song

rotrax

Visit site
According to Bernard Cornwell, when Utred son of Utred re-named a captured boat, he said you had to get a virgin to piss in the bilge.

That, it is very likely, will be your biggest problem. Finding a virgin has never been easy round 'ere................................. ;)

Stemar

Visit site
In your case, Echo might have been more apt. :unsure:
There seem to be quite a few love goddesses around the place who I'm looking forward to meeting. Branwen, Frigga, Astarte, Benzai-Ten, Oshun and Parvati came as the result of a quick search.
Maybe not Parvati.

"She is known for practicing extreme asceticism"

I can't think of anyone here who'd want anything to do with that :)