Name this Anchor - How is it used.

Neeves

Visit site
Flook.
FLOOK The Flying Anchor
Something along the same lines was introduced here in the 1970s.
It didn't catch on.

I'm impressed it reached as far as Sweden! It is or was Australian. I thought it was developed to be used from a seaplane. I did actually see one in a second hand boats part shop (the inventor lives, or lived, not far away). It did not catch on here either.

Jonathan

Boathook

Visit site
I have had one of these sitting in the garage for the last 20 odd years, and last year I found a use for it - a friend borrowed it to use for his Catalac and he seems to be quite happy with it.
I will carry on using the rocna on my Catalac. Other good anchors are available but I'm not sure whether the one being discussed is good. Purley a personal view.

noelex

Visit site
The Flook anchor’s unique feature was that it was designed to “fly”. The main use was as a stern anchor for trailer sailors and small fishing boats, or as a kedge anchor. The boat could be tied up on shore and then the Flook anchor was launched from the stern. It would “fly” away underwater landing at around the correct distance for 3:1 - 5:1 scope.

Once the anchor had landed on the seabed the rode was given a sharp tug and the flukes would change from the “flying” position to the setting position.

Thus there was no need to drop a stern anchor as you approached the bank.

It would only “fly” with an all rope rode.

Overall it was a clever idea, but a bit of failure in the real world. The holding was not great in anything in other than soft substrates, and in practice the “flying” function was not very reliable.

SteveAus

Visit site
I feel that the "Name this anchor - how it is used" posed by Long Keeler was far too easy for the members of this website. Below are photos of an anchor which I trust will present more of a challenge to name and describe its use. The prongs fold as shown in the photo.

DSC_0666-min.JPGDSC_0665-min.JPG

newtothis

Visit site
I feel that the "Name this anchor - how it is used" posed by Long Keeler was far too easy for the members of this website. Below are photos of an anchor which I trust will present more of a challenge to name and describe its use. The prongs fold as shown in the photo.

View attachment 131823View attachment 131824
Again, I'm still not entirely convinced this is an anchor...
1647425555093.png