Who in their right mind is buying this

Tranona

Visit site
Please correct me if I’m wrong but it is not the same boat that was not sold that did sell. This is another boat built in 2012 and has not been refurbished.

Id say the internal design and materials look much better than the earlier design and im my biased opinion will be attractive to a potential buyer looking for this specific design of boat.

Of course I’ve been following what typically new contessa owners do and been amazed how they upgrade their old boats which is in reality what most owners of 70s and 80 boat owners do. I suspect it is quite easy to spend more than the original asking price on this.

So this massively overpriced 12 year old boat with significantly improved interior requiring little further expenditure suddenly might seam not quite so overpriced. However if you don’t want a contessa 32 then I appreciate it may seam a pie in the sky asking price.

I do understand with limited knowledge that all boats are a compromise. By that it is difficult to get a very seaworthy boat to perform like a Ferrari. So if you want a fast boat don’t buy something with a small rig and heavy displacement. It is also useful to highlight not every sailor or boat owner wants a forty footer or or large lump of GRP to sit in. Some owners just want ample room to be comfortable after a days sailing and don’t want to have to have crew with them.

I also appreciate the delights and attraction of much more modern boats that perform better and may be as good in a real blow. But it comes at a cost which is probably not far less than the price of this in my blinkered eyes stunning Contessa. My view is it will sell and not be too far off the asking price.

Steveeasy
You are right - it was I that jumped to the incorrect conclusion that it was the same boat.

You are also right that many owners spend huge amounts on their old boats (I am one of them!) but half the fun of that is actually doing it yourself with your choice of how you spend the money. The owner of this clearly wanted something very different both inside and out with all that wood which suspect many would say is not appropriate to the boat. I have seen other CO32s that Rogers either built or refurbished in recent years and they were indeed an improvement on the original. Don't think this one is, but of course as suggested before there needs to be only one person who has similar tastes to the owner and also has the money to indulge. Still buying someone else's dream rather than living his own.

steveeasy

Visit site
You are right - it was I that jumped to the incorrect conclusion that it was the same boat.

You are also right that many owners spend huge amounts on their old boats (I am one of them!) but half the fun of that is actually doing it yourself with your choice of how you spend the money. The owner of this clearly wanted something very different both inside and out with all that wood which suspect many would say is not appropriate to the boat. I have seen other CO32s that Rogers either built or refurbished in recent years and they were indeed an improvement on the original. Don't think this one is, but of course as suggested before there needs to be only one person who has similar tastes to the owner and also has the money to indulge. Still buying someone else's dream rather than living his own.

The interior is much improved from a practical viewpoint. No excess gin palace cushions to move to access storage and additional storage in place of the wet locker. The v berth if you can get to it has really nice Ali framing allowing to just lift and access to storage. In such a good finish it is completely to my tast.
Purchase price new in 2012 would be I guess arround ?190,000 and perhaps the sale price being prudent £90,000 so it’s lost £90,000 in 12 years. Now how does that compare to any other similar sized boat from the same era. Id guess the depreciation is low in comparison.
Oh by the way not sure I enjoy my upgrade works, well not while I’m doing it but I get your point. The sense of achievement can be very rewarding.

steveeasy

Last edited:

lusitano

Visit site
That's interesting. I can remember thinking back then she was a throughbred, even though in need of some care to make her look good again.

I seem to recall when we viewed her she'd recently come back across the Atlantic and had a cracked forward bulkhead. Was that one of your crossings? It's funny what we can remember sometimes after 50 years.

I remember also that she was teak planked below the waterline. They don't build them like that any more. There were several Holman designed wood 40-ish footers for sale around rhat time. We looked at all of them but Whirlaway had the best layout.
Whirlaway made regular crossings over the years and the owner did push her (and the crew !) very hard, too hard sometimes, so damage was routine. Everything up and steering by hand most of the way despite having autopilot and vane. Memories of flying the spinnaker for three days non stop on one trip, having to use a torch at night so we could see it - happy days !

Frogmogman

Visit site
Contessa 32 for sale UK, Contessa boats for sale, Contessa used boat sales, Contessa Sailing Yachts For Sale Contessa 32 from 2012 - Apollo Duck

Newish Co32 with some "interesting" fitout choices.

How much has the original owner lost on this in 12 years, 100k easily and hard to imagine anyone buying this for anything near that asking price. 120k to sleep next to the toilet.

The interior looks more DIY than Rogers finest.

I agree with Steveeasy. Apart from the teak deck, which I really wouldn’t want, IF a Co32 is what you’re after, she looks a pretty good boat. Don’t quite get why so many are being quite so insulting about someone’s pride and joy.

I like Co32s, but they are really not the type of boat I want.

Each to his own.

A chacun son goût.

Vive la différence.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
JR will be rolling in his grave (with upmost respect) having his very own internal work disrespected. I recon given production was so much slower in 2012 than the hay days of the 70s the build standard and fit out quality is very much improved. It’s a good fit not trying to be ikea lookalike but classic/modern with a very nice finish indeed. Think this lot have lost the plot or spent far too much time on the sherry. Boats are supposed to look good and if they are comfy that’s a bonus.

Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
JR will be rolling in his grave (with upmost respect) having his very own internal work disrespected. I recon given production was so much slower in 2012 than the hay days of the 70s the build standard and fit out quality is very much improved. It’s a good fit not trying to be ikea lookalike but classic/modern with a very nice finish indeed. Think this lot have lost the plot or spent far too much time on the sherry. Boats are supposed to look good and if they are comfy that’s a bonus.

Steveeasy
Well there's a first a Co32 being comfy. And you can kiss goodbye to any racing aspirations carrying all that timber.

steveeasy

Visit site
Lol .... only for a complete Contessa obsessed old person ... but I'm not and never will be in the market for a Contessa of any vintage or condition. Something we lusted after as a family in the 70s from the cockpit of our Kingfisher 20+ but now hopelessly outdated and cramped.

Some more alternatives .... all gorgeous and built this century (except one).

https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2009-southerly-32-9146512/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/1992-hallberg--rassy-36-8935879/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2020-jeanneau-sun-odyssey-349-9298408/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2021-bavaria-cruiser-34-9267361/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2012-hallberg--rassy-310-8918124/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2009-hallberg--rassy-342-9325529/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2008-sunbeam-34-8851325/
https://www.yachtworld.de/yacht/2009-x--yachts-x-34-9304292/
Well there's a first a Co32 being comfy. And you can kiss goodbye to any racing aspirations carrying all that timber.
Who said they were ?. Yes I had considered that point, but not sure you’ve read the full inventory, hot a cold cockpit shower, what more could one wish for!!
Steveeasy

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Who said they were ?. Yes I had considered that point, but not sure you’ve read the full inventory, hot a cold cockpit shower, what more could one wish for!!
Steveeasy
You mean after a long passage to windward in a stiff breeze and chop on a submarine? Yes the foredeck chimp would love it.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
You mean after a long passage to windward in a stiff breeze and chop on a submarine? Yes the foredeck chimp would love it.
The one I’ve been racing on, that foredeck hand is a lady. She does it amazingly well til Deputy Dawg, the spare foredeck chimp intervenes and trips the spinnaker tack on a tight reach. What a flippin circus that was.

steveeasy

Visit site
The one I’ve been racing on, that foredeck hand is a lady. She does it amazingly well til Deputy Dawg, the spare foredeck chimp intervenes and trips the spinnaker tack on a tight reach. What a flippin circus that was.
Good enough for you to race on then!! Classic!

Steveeasy

onesea

Visit site
If I were to buy a Contessa, I'd be sailing solo. Madame wouldn't set foot aboard, and I can't say I blame her. Lots of people love then and, for their time, they're a great boat, but they're of their time, which has passed. Doesn't stop Jeremy Rogers offering new ones, though. How much would he want for one?
My misses would have a Contessa, and probably want that one (if we could afford it). Any angle any port I can hear an admiring nice boat, I just look for the Contessa.

She also likes J’s but there is more of an ohhh before hand and a racing fleet around.

Most regular contessa falls into the category of nice boat but more than I would pay, for me.

Sadly I feel there are few buys that would pay that much for a contessa and those that would spend that much would buy one and convert it to the spec they want.

Tranona

Visit site
The interior is much improved from a practical viewpoint. No excess gin palace cushions to move to access storage and additional storage in place of the wet locker. The v berth if you can get to it has really nice Ali framing allowing to just lift and access to storage. In such a good finish it is completely to my tast.
Purchase price new in 2012 would be I guess arround ?190,000 and perhaps the sale price being prudent £90,000 so it’s lost £90,000 in 12 years. Now how does that compare to any other similar sized boat from the same era. Id guess the depreciation is low in comparison.
Oh by the way not sure I enjoy my upgrade works, well not while I’m doing it but I get your point. The sense of achievement can be very rewarding.

steveeasy
Agree about the practical aspect - a lot of good ideas that would not have been possible in a production boat. However the interior wood is claustrophobic, not matter how good the craftmanship. Just too much of it and the strip planking on the bulkheads must have gobbled up hours. I think your £190k is under - seem to remember starting point at that time was £170k when a Bavaria 32 was around £80k to a reasonable spec.

As for depreciation, even if it were only £170k and sold for the asking price that would be a loss of 30% in money terms. Bavarias of the same period sell for between 80-90% of their original cost. My 2015 33 which cost £100k sold for £90k and similar boats are sell for much the same now. Even 20 year old 32s sell for around £40k compared with £55 -60k new. Inflation and limited supply are primary causes, but that affects all boats. however very personalized custom built boats like Persephone almost always lose more because of the high initial cost and limited resale market.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
My misses would have a Contessa, and probably want that one (if we could afford it). Any angle any port I can hear an admiring nice boat, I just look for the Contessa.

She also likes J’s but there is more of an ohhh before hand and a racing fleet around.

Most regular contessa falls into the category of nice boat but more than I would pay, for me.

Sadly I feel there are few buys that would pay that much for a contessa and those that would spend that much would buy one and convert it to the spec they want.
It’s about 18ft too narrow for my Mrs to consider. She’s been invited to race with me on the 32, but has politely declined.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Agree about the practical aspect - a lot of good ideas that would not have been possible in a production boat. However the interior wood is claustrophobic, not matter how good the craftmanship.
Just the job for all the chaps who were on here recently moaning about IKEA style modern interiors then…

steveeasy

Visit site
Ok.can’t turn a pigs ear in to a silk purse but I’ve done this to make things more practicle.
Steveeasy

Attachments

• F27833BC-B755-47B7-8A39-526CB41F4B91.jpeg
    F27833BC-B755-47B7-8A39-526CB41F4B91.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 58

Tranona

Visit site
Ok.can’t turn a pigs ear in to a silk purse but I’ve done this to make things more practicle.
Steveeasy
Now that is more like it. Difficult to beat the white and dark wood bit on a small boat. Just redone my forecabin. Not quite finished the cladding as still a bit of work to do in the forepeak

Attachments

• IMG_20240423_171611.jpg
    IMG_20240423_171611.jpg
    549.5 KB · Views: 40

steveeasy

Visit site
Now that is more like it. Difficult to beat the white and dark wood bit on a small boat. Just redone my forecabin. Not quite finished the cladding as still a bit of work to do in the forepeak
That looks really nice and bright. Defiantly transforms dark and dull interiors.

Steveeasy