Who in their right mind is buying this

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Who said they were ?. Yes I had considered that point, but not sure you’ve read the full inventory, hot a cold cockpit shower, what more could one wish for!!
Steveeasy
I did read the inventory .... but couldn't find the one item that would make a real difference.

Tardis Mode: It doubles the interior volume.

benjenbav

Visit site
Has to be said that the CO32s did rather well in the RTI race yesterday when it was more than breezy. The first placed CO32 and third overall in the ISC fleet, dated from 1975.

Is that down to the boats or to the crews or perhaps a combination of an enduringly good design coupled with the enthusiasm and skill of their adherents, some 50 years after the first CO32 was launched?

dunedin

Visit site
Has to be said that the CO32s did rather well in the RTI race yesterday when it was more than breezy. The first placed CO32 and third overall in the ISC fleet, dated from 1975.

Is that down to the boats or to the crews or perhaps a combination of an enduringly good design coupled with the enthusiasm and skill of their adherents, some 50 years after the first CO32 was launched?
To be fair, one would expect a boat that is relatively slow in light winds to do well on handicap in stronger winds.

Quite a few other more modern "lightweight" 32 ish foot cruisers also went round safely, many with elapsed times faster than the leading Co32, in spite of the punishing upwind conditions to the needles.
Yes crew experience and willingness to take the conditions (and to get very wet on the Co) is what makes the difference

steveeasy

Visit site
well a few years ago a very tired Twister was dragged off the Hamble. Siezed engine and its hull looked very much like a moon crater. not too much cash going in to sorting her out and to be frank not given a second glance at the snotty boat yard.. Apparently won its class Yesterday. Now thats an achievement and one I really like. what an achievement.
Steveeasy

benjenbav

Visit site
To be fair, one would expect a boat that is relatively slow in light winds to do well on handicap in stronger winds.

Quite a few other more modern "lightweight" 32 ish foot cruisers also went round safely, many with elapsed times faster than the leading Co32, in spite of the punishing upwind conditions to the needles.
Yes crew experience and willingness to take the conditions (and to get very wet on the Co) is what makes the difference
Yes, I think the foredeck hands on the CO32 fleet were probably wearing snorkels yesterday. And the conditions were extreme.

Contessa 32 is not for me; not roomy, not dry. Does look pretty and clearly has an appeal though, even after all these years.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

Why would a cruising sailor buy a CO32 these days? ... They are small, cramped and wet ... not a family or a couples boat by modern standards. .... I'd wager that they are bought by people who value a sense of nostalgia and enjoy handicap racing - CO32s took places 3 to 6 in the ISC fleet. My conclusion is that they are favourably handicapped and competently crewed compared to the have-a-go cruiser entries.

A modern cruiser racer (with the emphasis on racer) might be a Jeanneau SunFast 3300 ... or a First 40 ... both of which finished over an hour ahead of the CO32 and took 10th and 11th place on line honours. The world has moved on.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
Why would a cruising sailor buy a CO32 these days? ... They are small, cramped and wet ... not a family or a couples boat by modern standards. .... I'd wager that they are bought by people who value a sense of nostalgia and enjoy handicap racing - CO32s took places 3 to 6 in the ISC fleet. My conclusion is that they are favourably handicapped and competently crewed compared to the have-a-go cruiser entries.

A modern cruiser racer (with the emphasis on racer) might be a Jeanneau SunFast 3300 ... or a First 40 ... both of which finished over an hour ahead of the CO32 and took 10th and 11th place on line honours. The world has moved on.
The world might have moved on for some but only those who can afford that progress.
Steveeasy

steveeasy

Visit site
Back in the day a Contessa 32 was an aspirational boat, at least it was out of the budget of my cruising family. My dad hankered after one, or a Rival etc. but couldn't afford it.
Well when im 90 odd ill be crawling around inside a Jeanneau SunFast 3300 trying to get the dam thing ready for a bit of sailing stuff much like im doing at present in the confines of my Contessa unless I see the light. until then ill make the best of a bad dream. It was no walk in the park round the Needles yesterday and quite frankly regardless of a few mins here and there, they all did good. some big boats having a hell of a time.

Steveeasy

doug748

Visit site

The world has moved on, trolling is not what it used to be.
Oh dear. 😐