Musto Online...

stownsend

Visit site
Evening

I would like to say how good Musto kit is but due to their online ordering system I missed out any jacket in the sale.... I registered to received notification when one of the jackets became back into stock, received an email at 23:30, by midnight all ordered and the money taken via PayPal (the sale was ending on Monday), other wise I as going to order one via Sport Pursuit which as in stock until the Monday lunchtime.

I received an email on Tuesday to cancel the order and no money would be taken, emailed Customer Services to say the money had been taken so either they can source one or refund, so refund as given and it was out of stock everywhere and there were none available when they came to pick my order - it was their system saying in stock and not physically enough there ....?????. I then received an email Tuesday eve to say it was back in stock but still couldn't order it...again was told it was out of stock and for the next week was showing in stock in my size at the full retail price, until I complained again today and it as finally taken down...

On checking any sites there was nothing I liked for the a sale price...missed out across the board..

For my troubles they offered 15% off any jacket full price RRP - cheaper to go to a supplier but not a sale price... unless its a good deal I'll go to GIll / Helly Hansen etc.., they also have closed the Outlet store in Bridgend so only have online to buy from..

One less customer for Musto...

Cheers

Stu

Boat441

Visit site
I've bought from the outlet stores before over the phone and getting them to post it to me.

Just did a bit of calling around the various outlet stores. (Either that or wait a few months until their winter sale!)

Very helpful and no where near rrp or even 15% off rrp.

nuvaslacker

Visit site
Personally, I would never buy Musto kit.

A few years ago I bought a Snug Blouson from a chandler's; after a couple of wears in the cockpit of a catamaran, all the zips pulls and sliders dissolved into white powder. When I sent the jacket back to Musto, they said that it was not designed to be worn near water and that they were surprised that it was sold in a chandler's. They offered 20% off the full price for a replacement, which was far more than I could buy one for in a chandler's. (Honestly, when would you want to wear such styleless clothing off a boat?)

I had been wearing cheap Tesco and Craighopper fleeces without problem, and I have avoided Musto ever since, not because the jacket was of such poor quality for marine use, but because the customer service was so abysmal; if I'm going to pay extra for yotting gear, I expect the customer to be treated decently.

Resolution

Visit site
Personally I often choose Musto kit. Mainly because it is almost always extremely well made.
By coincidence this morning I visited the Musto shop in Guildford to hand in my twenty five year old Musto Country jacket in order to have a new zip put in. Apart from the zip, everything else is still in top condition, the gortex still keeps the water out, and it is worn nearly everyday for rough cross country dog walking. (It does seem to have shrunk a bit across the midriff....) The young manager in the shop was delighted to find a Musto product almost as old as he was!

nuvaslacker

Visit site
You may be right re well made, but in my case they had obviously fitted uncoated zinc casting sliders, which were totally unsuited. The Craighopper fleece had coated zinc sliders, which were entirely satisfactory, though not a marine fleece. The quantity of spray in a cruising catamaran cockpit is not great.

It was really the customer service that was bad; writing in an email that the Snug Blouson was not designed for marine use when it was advertised and sold by every yacht chandler at the time, and relying on that to offer no effective recompense, shows contempt for the customer. Possibly someone had blundered in trying to cost cut on the zips, but you shouldn't weasel out of your responsibility to supply goods of a serviceable quality.

Resolution

Visit site
Of course I should have written:
Today I experienced the shady quality and appalling after-sales service of Musto. After only twenty five years and perhaps a few thousand times in use the zip on my Musto Country had torn. When I asked the Guildford shop to arrange a replacement under warranty, the pimply youth behind the counter had the temerity to try to charge me for doing this.

nuvaslacker

Visit site
I don't question your experience. I dealt with the corporate hq in Essex, by email and mail, and I just describe my experience as a justification for not wishing to buy their goods.

I only wore the jacket twice, and it was six months after I bought it that it self destructed.

On this forum we can only describe our experiences, and hope that it is useful to others.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Why anybody buys direct from the manufacturer is beyond me, there are far, far better deals to be had if you purchase elsewhere.

Sounds like they had a cockup in their warehouse, but everybody blames the computer these days.

WF36

Visit site
Why anybody buys direct from the manufacturer is beyond me, there are far, far better deals to be had if you purchase elsewhere.

Not the case when they have a sale online - I bought a few items and was very happy, especially as you get free next day delivery.

stownsend

Visit site
+1 for the sales, my issue is they took payment but failed to supply the jacket, because of this i missed out on other jackets with different suppliers - when your talking about 50 to 60% off the RRP and your offered 15% off the RRP ... need i say more !

I agree it was the stock levels / systems. If it was out if went out of stock whilst trying to pay (like next etc...) then fair game !

Still on the lookout for a new jacket - but as the boat show has ended so have the sales / stocks are non existent, by the looks will have to wait for the next batch of sales...

Cheers

Stu

Daydream believer

Visit site
I have had Musto fleeces & Musto bags. All have had useless zips. some failing after a very short time
I have friends who have found the same problem
It cannot cost a lot more to fit decent YKK zips of the correct sort instead of some obscure manufacturers zip & they would save themselves a lot of bad publicity
Especially as their stuff is so expensive

Jamesuk

Visit site
Musto is a very good sailing brand. The MPX/HPX zips are sturdy although the rest HH,Gill, HL just as good.

The problem: coroding zips! The zip Treated with just the lightest touch of silicone grease (tooth brush applied) when new and again after every wash.

That is how I look after my Helly Hansen and North Face sailing kit especially the bulky drysuit zip.

Cheers

Resolution

Visit site
Whatever the kit, a salt water environment is tough. It makes sense to regularly carry out appropriate maintenance. A fresh water wash down or rinse before putting the kit away will have its rewards.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Whatever the kit, a salt water environment is tough. It makes sense to regularly carry out appropriate maintenance. A fresh water wash down or rinse before putting the kit away will have its rewards.

Zips should be supplied to suit the environment.
My Musto bags & my fleece have never been wet & my fleece has not had enough use to warrent washing yet
But still the zips have failed
If a zip is going to get wet surely it should be plastic & of coarse design to avoid clogging with dirt