Mooring in Palma? If a bit windy...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Jeez, that's a bit scary. I've never seen bollards being pulled out like that. Spanish construction standards, I guess. The quay is literally a stone's throw from my mooring in Club de Mar. I better check that my boat is still attached to the land /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Yes, lines parted.

Passenger who was dunked in the water when the gangway 'fell in' was saved by crewmembers.

Bit difficult to know what to do on the bridge once the ship was off the berth. People in the water - you can hardly use bow and stern thrusters and call for tugs to push you back alongside.....

Maybe Junes' WNS?

D

Deleted User YDKXO

If you turn up the sound you can hear something pretty solid hit the bow as the bow line lets go and it leaves a mark as well. Thats why I thought the bollard had been ripped out

Nick_H

www.ybw-boatsforsale.com
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe Junes' WNS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, brilliant idea, it even includes ropes so it's a dead cert.

"You are the captain of an 800 passenger Atlantic cruise liner. Last month all the instrumentation on the bridge failed and you haven't yet had the chance to fix it .... "

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the bollard had been ripped out

[/ QUOTE ]Your thought was correct, according to what I read elsewhere.
Apparently even Palma Port Authority admitted afterwards that the bollards were not good enough for the job.

benjenbav

Visit site
Why is the ship shown first with the mooring lines on the port side and then, when the bollard pulls free (and smacks a nasty dent in the paintwork) the lines are on the starboard side of the vessel?

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Yes you are correct.

In the earlier (at the time ) video I saw the long head lines parted first the the second - shorter head/breast line) let go with the bollard attached in one case.

The Owners have indeed taken issue with Palma port authority I believe. Luckly no one was injured frankly.

Reminded me of an incident several years ago when I was in Bermuda during a hurricane and a cruise ship was 'stuck' alongside( poor chap) as had not enough notice to sail and clear the reef in time. Upshot was ALL the shore bollards pulled away and could be seen hanging down the bow and ship side complete with huge chucks of tarmac and bits of Front Street. Looked very funny indeed. Master did an ace job and held the vessel in the middle of Hamilton Harbour throughout.

think it was the Horizon from memory.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

I wondered about that. Maybe the tugs turned her round to reduce the windage effect or something? I also think that it was very fortunate that, 2 lines having let go, the rest didn't follow and the ship end up being impaled on the other side of the harbour