Mobo and cruiser racing

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We had the Exe regatta last weekend and I was told I was committee boat for the cruiser racing. Great thort I, sitting around at anchor all day raising and lowering flags when I should be diving.

So showed up at 8-30 on Saturdaty morning, 16 entries, not so bad, should even be slightly interesting. Out to the start for 10-30, the regatta committee insisted race be started off the sea front for all the spectators to get a good view. Also had the lifeboat to fire a maroon for the actual start. Wow, think the bang woke up a tramp on the park bench, a couple of seagulls squawked and one or two joggers stared disinterestedly as a whole 7 boat fleet set off.

Well I say 7, it could have been 9, but we weren't sure. One cruiser skipper who wasn't racing swore at us for being in the way, he only had about a gap of 50 yards or more on the other side of the faiway!! Anyway, of the 7, 4 raced the wrong way round the course and we had a gap of about 40 minutes between first and second, with another couple of hours for the third boat. All of this in a lovely Easterly slop.

Second race saw I think 5 boats start with 3 finishers, same first and second with same time gap. Exciting racing!

Sunday morning was better cos i had a few drinks the nite before to get over the excitement and we had 4 starters, same first and second as 2 previous races and 2 retirees.

Is cruiser racing always this riveting or should I be cutting my lawn next time I'm asked to be committee boat? And is it usual for over half the entrants not to turn up?

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Have you come over here to chear up the boat menders and restorers forum, or did you get lost!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

MUS

www.limboyachts.com
7 boats! I don't think I've been in a cruiser race with more than 3!

It's the taking part that counts anyway. At least that's what we tell ourselves as we come last again.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts>http://groups.msn.com/Limboyachts</A>