MiToS re-built/fit- versilcraft Mystery43

vas

Visit site
Looking forward to that, thanks in advance! :encouragement:

after a slight delay, sorry about that P. This is the last installment before launching.

Er, don't worry, there's also life (and a lot of work to do) after launching, so the thread is not closing yet ;p

Right, one of the small things that had to be done was sorting out and finishing with the aft deck lining. That includes the side panels along the steps to the bow and the lining over the aft seating. I'd noticed that when I put them together a year or so ago, there was water dripping down the lazarette from the capping-iroko frame to the ali sandwich panel. So this time, after properly painting all the inside, I used some relatively crappy clear silicone I found lying around to seal the panels. Idea being I don't want too good adhesion as I wont be able to remove the panels without damaging them at a later date. And I'm not so keen on redoing these panels anytime soon!

aftdeck_rebuilt_125.jpg

aftdeck_rebuilt_126.jpg

aftdeck_rebuilt_127.jpg

Obviously, before fitting the panels back I had to sand (up to 180iirc) the iroko capping and get it 5-6 coats of Owatrol (part 1)
aftdeck_rebuilt_128.jpg

aftdeck_rebuilt_129.jpg

aftdeck_rebuilt_130.jpg

And now a series of unrelated jobs that are worth mentioning for one reason or another.

At some point I had to remove a truedesign grp skin fitting (cause I was stupid and tried to tighten it before the sika 291 (iirc) had properly set. So it turned, and I wasn't happy.
Removing a skin fitting is easier said than done, as I couldn't have a decent grip underneath there's a couple of tiny recesses where you're meant to use a custom key (nicely coloured flat grp piece tbh) which wasn't enough, so decided to cut it off with a chisel. Didn't want to use an angle grinder mainly because my cutting disk was so small that I'd not have any luck without messing the hull around. Anyway, ten minutes later and after a lot of sweating (and a fair amount of swearing) I cut it off. Here's the piece. My verdict is that there's no fcking way in hell that this would break if I'd step on it even hit it with a sledgehammer. If someone is thinking going grp (to avoid dezincification, bonding or whatever else) I think it's absolutely safe.

truedesign_1.jpg

MiToS had originally a 6-7mm copper pipe going from the locker/seat on the f/b around through the ceiling slats to the galley. Not a great distance, but wasn't happy to have an almost 40yo pipe especially as I was told that it's not legal to use hard copper pipe on petrogaz/camping gaz whatever you want to call them. So Got 7-8m of proper rubber pipe with ss wire sheathing suitable accessories for the oven and hob and a tee to join them all together. Not hard, just time consuming. So now, gas bottle is at the f/b on the 600X600X250 box on the stbrd side of the seating bench and all that comes nice and round to the two appliances. Hob works, we cooked a couple of times and made a few espressos, oven I haven't tried it yet, have too hairy hands to get a small lighter in there trying to see how to lit the thing. Got to get one of these flexhose lighter thingies for that.

gaspipe.jpg

Another odd issue was replacing the door locks, doors being rather thin, typical sized locks wouldn't work, ended up finding proper ones and replaced a couple. I had to replace them as I didn't have keys for most of them and I wanted to be able to lock a room if I wanted or if the occupant wanted (talking teenagers here...)
First attempt went very badly with the barrel sliding in place and doing fck all! key wouldn't turn!
After a lot of headscratching and getting the whole lock mechanism out again, realised that the 70ies locks had shorter tongues. Another angle grinder job and locks worked fine.

doorlocks.jpg

A good friend, work colleague and avid follower of the rebuilt (must be the one that paid more visits than anyone else - bar the ones that had boats in the yard that is...) came with a small beer bottle tied up with a nice red cloth tape thing. Explained that due to recession he couldn't afford to offer a champagne, but he could do a bottle of nice ale from a local microbrewery. Definitely recommended to anyone visiting the area. Beer called Argo (from the Jason and the Argonauts story) and is produced two blocks away from my house.
Looked rather funny, so left it there. This caused two different discussions:
One with the boatyard owner, who's actually using the launching slip as a private beach for him and the family and who asked me not to break the bottle just in front of the slip in order not to have accidents (with him or the kids stepping on broken glass)
Second, Alekos came very anxious and really worried one day to warn me that if I hit this bottle on the side of the hull i'm definitely going to mark it and asked me politely not to do it

I explained to both that I'm not planning to do anything silly indeed the bottle is still hanging (only inside in the aftdeck to port) and I need an occasion to drink it :D

argobeer.jpg

Enough with all that, now, wife following the realisation that MiToS IS actually going to get in the water (she never believed any of my predictions-I don't blame her!), decided that she had to come and actually help and contribute to the project. Needless to say that she rarely appeared when it was all dusty, dirty and messy, but now she was keen to come and help. After some much needed help in cleaning and tidying up the place, I explained that noway in hell was I going to fit carpets right now (for various reasons one being I'm not fond of carpets...) So she decided to come and paint at will (floor and bare hull inner areas) obviously without even noticing what I was explaining regarding missing panels, or panels and furniture that would cover up what she was planning to paint. So I let her loose (literally) and the following pics show the end result. Looks interesting, vibrant and matches nicely with the whole theme, some will stay, others will be covered once various missing panels are put in place.
Original plan was to lay cedar on the cabin floors a la teak with TDS seams at al. Maybe I can skip that for a year or two and relax a bit whilst thinking various detailing jobs I want to attend (and catching up on real job)

annas_artistic_interventions_1.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_2.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_3.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_4.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_5.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_6.jpg

annas_artistic_interventions_7.jpg

So enough for tonight, rain eased so I can go to the boat and try and wire up the temp and oil pressure gauges to the NoLand so that I can have them displayed through the NMEA2K network ;)

cheers

V.

jfm

Visit site
Looking fab. Hang on: you let your wife paint all that pastel green colour, including on the deck beams, even though you will be covering it all with trim panels???!!! Cruising for a bruising!

vas

Visit site
Looking great Vas, I do like the finish you've got with the Owatrol.
LJS, pics hide details, I'm personally NOT over the moon on that, but it's the first go, I expect I'll sand the whole of the capping next year and get a few more coats and maybe it will be better then. I'm not going for the glossy part2 (although I stupidly bought it) as I see everyone standing on the aft deck capping (either to dive or to walk around or whatever, and with wet feet a glossy finish is just looking for trouble.

Looking fab. Hang on: you let your wife paint all that pastel green colour, including on the deck beams, even though you will be covering it all with trim panels???!!! Cruising for a bruising!
I didn't let her, she simply didn't listen to me (er, not the first time this happens over the last 25yrs I may add :p ) and I realised she was so happy painting that I didn't want to spoil the fun. Mind some work on the cabin floors and hatches is rather nice, so staying for a while, obviously side panels, deck beams lining that i'm currently lining/ or George painting will be placed and some of her artwork will be covered...

cheers

V.

rafiki_

Visit site
Great job again Vas. So the gas bottle is on the Fly? How big is the bottle, as this sounds like a mission to mount the steps?

I hope you are going to chill the beer down before consumption too :D

vas

Visit site
Great job again Vas. So the gas bottle is on the Fly? How big is the bottle, as this sounds like a mission to mount the steps?

I hope you are going to chill the beer down before consumption too :D

yep,

gas bottle is a 2-3kg one (not sure how they measure them as it's a bleeding heavy thing even when empty. Not a great task bringing it up the steps. It's around 200mm dia and 250mm tall, and i've got a spare there as well, should be plenty for a few weeks onboard and I can refil practically everywhere in Greece.

regarding the beer i'm worried it may go off unless consumed soon. Got to get a few more though ;)

cheers

V.

PS. trying a new avatar pic, not seeing it appearing yet

MapisM

Visit site
some of her artwork will be covered...
You can always pretend that it will be left there, hidden, as an Easter egg surprise for your grand-grandsons, when they will rebuild MiToS again, in 2115...!
An impressive commitment indeed, well done. :encouragement:

vas

Visit site
Time for the launching update (albeit a month and a half after the actual happening!)
OK, so after a series of delays, date was set for the last day of summer, so effectively kept my promise that MiToS would be in the water during the summer :p

Launching starts with the trailer coming under the boat, secured, checked, main keel supports removed together with the two massive aft supports.
launch_1.jpg

launch_2.jpg

father and son discussing it:
launch_3.jpg

Gregory sorting out the loads on the hull:
launch_4.jpg

Anna doing the final cleaning up there:
launch_5.jpg

me being rather stressed and exhausted (no, don't remember what she told me to piss me off...)
vasannoyed.jpg

big moment, staircase gone, me and Dimitris (the next boat neighbour with the P45) onboard getting ready:
launch_6.jpg

have to travel almost the length of the boatyard to be able to sort the direction and get us in the slip:
launch_7.jpg

launch_8.jpg

launch_9.jpg

yep, she's in!
launch_10.jpg

started engines, back out slowly as there was another sailing boat waiting to be pulled out, everything went smoothly:
launch_11.jpg

launch_12.jpg

pushing the levers a bit more, and realising that the port controls are rather stiff when the engine is running and in gear. Was fine on the hard and engine switched off...
launch_13.jpg

First time she's getting on the plane after almost 5yrs. Very effortlessly, Dimitris, used with his much heavier boat with twin 450 or so CATs was very impressed with the ease she reacts to throttle and relaxed maner that she gets up on the plane. Crappy pic from the yard with us shooting off the port for the first test drive:
launch_14.jpg

and the compulsory wake shot, not very good, got much better now from the aft deck:
launch_15.jpg

10mins later back to the dock next to the boatyard for mooring assessing the situation and checking things:
launch_16.jpg

launch_17.jpg

Three problems identified on this short blast:

Oil leak from the port engine oil heat exchanger, fixed by tightening a screw on one of the endcaps. Still not sure what this screw does, just a blanking one for some odd reason. Probably lost 200ml, messy job to clean out of the freshly painted bilges.

water leaks from a couple of spots, easy to sort with tightening circlips.

leaking stbrd stuffing box. Took sometime to fix, eventually had to add another line of material (had already added one line on each before launching)

So relaxed, had a beer with a couple of friends and then started sorting out bits. By the afternoon and having sorted the water leak, I realised there was some other leak. Murphy's law application meant that it was in the most awful and inaccesible place of all the engine room; under the genny, could hardly see the place and could only fit one hand at a time. That's where I had removed a skin fitting and blanked the hole. All done the proper way (as applied in a few other spots before...) with a big 15mm ply reinforcement inside, bolted through lots of epoxy, etc. Spend a couple of hours in the evening to no avail and reluctantly arrange with Gregory to pull out next morning, sort out the leak and be back in the water the morning after. All that by just pulling the boat up the ramp and leaving her there on the trolley.
First night I stayed on board just in case. Had two auto bilge pumps one in lazarete and one in e/r worked perfectly so no chance of any failure plus had the 1.25inch diaphragm pump as a manual backup standby. Bilge pump had to kick in once every 20mins or so, so not that much water coming in.

Anyway, next morning I had arranged for 400lts of diesel to be delivered by truck there. I already was rather puzzled with my tanks and the single sight gauge. Bear with me, started with around 140lts or so, went for a 10min blast, came back when things settled, checked the sight gauge and it was down to 30lts!!! Anyway, thought something to do with position, moving about and proper leveling of the craft et al. Guy came started filling and we were chatting. At some point I mention that delivery is too slow and will take 20+ mins to finish, he says, no should be finishing soon, have a glimpse at the sight gauge and freak out as first of all it was only showing 180 or so from 30 AND there was diesel pouring down the side of the tanks to the bilges!!!
Stops immediately and I'm trying to figure out what's happening. Turns out that the rubber pipe connecting the stbrd most tank to the next to it (on top of the tanks) is not secured properly and diesel is pouring all over the place.
Now, got a bilge with seawater coming in from the old genny seacock repair, diesel coming from the tanks and some leftover oil from the ex-leaking oil cooler.
NICE!
Quick calculation says I have around 200lt of diesel in the bilges and bilge pump kicks in. Rush and disable it while thinking what to do. Guy is also pissed off and freaking out with the accident and is trying to help. Suggest I go to his shop and borrow 5 25lt canisters to pick the diesel. Indeed that's what I do and he also gives me some special paste that turns from yellow to orange if there's water in the diesel tank (to check the canisters). Get a small manual pump and spend the next couple of hours pumping the stuff out carefully. Further more confused as I realise there's no way in hell I have 200lt in the bilges, after 2h I only have 20lt of diesel in various canisters. Trying to think clearly I check again the valves at the bottom of the four tanks. Remember there are 4 tanks across the width of the hull in front of the engines all the way to the sides, connected from the top (for filling, cap is on stbrd side) and the tanks are connected in pairs feeding a small 10lt tank out of where the 3 engine plus the sight gauge pickups are. I find both end tanks (port and stbrd most ones) closed, undo them and automagically fuel sight gauge goes from 180 to 400lt! Check the return feeds from the engines and unsurprisingly they do feed the end tanks. So effectively with the two valves blocked, all diesel going through the filters with return to the isolated side tanks. Further when filling with diesel, side tank filled up and and started routing diesel from the top connectors that was loose hence the leak and the listing to stbrd...
To cut a long story short, I only managed to collect 16lt of clean diesel (which I still have in the e/r for backup, not dared getting it back to the tanks), pump the rest of the water out and all cleaned and sorted.

That has a really hectic first day, but MiToS floated, felt smooth and fast so not much else to ask for.

Next installment will be the reparis and some of the work carried out in the water.

cheers

V.

andy59

Visit site
Congratulations Vas . I have followed your thread from the start , and the effort and determination that you have shown dealing with every problem and repair has been fantastic imho . Mitos is a fantastic looking craft and just standing on the dock and thinking " I did that " must give a great feeling of satisfaction :cool: . Well done now time to enjoy .

Firefly625

Visit site
V, Great to see the launch and MiToS floating. A bit of a PITA having a water leak and the fuelling problem & leaks, but after such a massive amount of work those are really minor issues to deal with! Lovely to see hard work pay off. Congratulations.

BartW

www.amptec.be
one more time, many congrats Vas,
this is a big milestone for Mitos, for this thread and for You !

now you can start having periods of fun onboard using her, alternated with periods of working on upgrades and or mods, thats what I'm used at ;-)

oh yes diesel spilleage in the bilge, I had my part of that after the reinstallation of the rebuild engine; a very small crack in a brass fuel pipe.
In Montenegro there is a very 'strong" action against pollution of the bay, so spilling any drop of fuel in the water might get you a fine !
luckyly my service Guy's are not avoiding this dirty cleaning work.

also a big salute to your helpers, George etc..
and not to forget your family, they didn't enjoy much of your presence at home the past 5 years ;-)
I hope from now on, they will often be with you onboard, and have fun time together !

rafiki_

Visit site
Brilliant update Vas, and it is amazing that there are not more problems for you to fix, given the work you have done over the past 5 years! Great pic of you. Are you pissed off, or anxious? There must have been a million thoughts going through your head with what could potentially go wrong. Good to see that MiToS pops up on the plane with ease.
Very well done as ever!!!

BruceK

Visit site
Wow! I've come late to the party and just caught up. I admire your grit in taking up this challenge and seeing it through. Some of those early photo's... I think I may have given in. Well done!

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Wow Vas that is a hairy launching procedure! My heart would have been in my mouth watching that. But great to see her in the water and she's looking good too. You must be a proud man

MapisM

Visit site
Wow Vas that is a hairy launching procedure!
Absolutely +1!
Just curious, V: judging by the trailer length, it looks like they could handle also much longer boats.
Do you have an idea of up to which boat size they launched with it?

Regardless, very well done indeed.
MiToS looks gorgeous in her natural element, congratulations! :encouragement:

dom

Visit site
Just noticed this thread and scrolled back to the first picture - golly that was four years' ago. I'll bet you've had a few blue moments since then as you looked out across that stone pier, To-Do list in hand!

Anyhow, a truly remarkable achievement and I'm sure she'll repay you in spades for putting her back where she belongs :encouragement:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Just noticed this thread and scrolled back to the first picture - golly that was four years' ago. I'll bet you've had a few blue moments since then as you looked out across that stone pier, To-Do list in hand!

Anyhow, a truly remarkable achievement and I'm sure she'll repay you in spades for putting her back where she belongs :encouragement:

I think Vas made it through the 4 years as in his mind he was only a month a way from launch!