MiToS re-built/fit- versilcraft Mystery43

vas

Visit site
sorry for not responding and updating this thread but was too tired after working 8-10h sanding and painting. Today I'm sort of taking a day off, so time for updates.

I agree with Tom's comments on sealing/epoxy matting and laying teak with glue only on top of it on a fully sealed base. Similar sort of thing to a grp deck. I MAY go this route, or may just lay the teak on top of the existing epoxied (but not matted/epoxied) deck. We shall see in May-June.
However, and I think that was what the constructor meant MM, I definitely WOULDN'T seal both sides of a deck: i.e. wouldn't put epoxy on the inside of the deck (towards the habitable space underneath that is) for the fear that dampness that may get trapped or manage to get in with humidity variations and/or other reasons will decay wood rather than exit gracefully when the conditions are right. So currently sanding the inside of the deck/sundeck/superstructure/beams you name it down to more or less bare iroko/ply and will soon be looking for a water permeable (if that's the right word) coating for it, protecting for running water (if it ever happens) but letting the wood breathe and throw out all dampness that's inside it. Don't think it's a difficult thing to find nowadays with all the nanotechnology and special paints and so on...
Bart, would be interesting to hear what the guys from Canados did to BA during the Rome refit last winter. Was it epoxy or glassfibre?
Regarding your small leaks, I'd go a step further and remove the internal panels in the cabins affected and see the extend of damage, if you can only see a small leak it may be a BIG leak that gets soaked into different layers of things before presenting itself in the internal lining. Act quick to avoid larger bills later!

ok, and a few photos of the superstructure as it stands now:
deckrebuilt_46.jpg

deckrebuilt_47.jpg

deckrebuilt_48.jpg

deckrebuilt_49.jpg

Over the last week with two days of rain to ruin my working schedule :rolleyes:, I managed to get all the superstructure up to 3 full coats of CPES, sand AGAIN and coat the full deck a few more times reaching a total # of coats of 3-4, sika all the seams to the superstructure and the rubbing strake teak strip which i'll probably discard and redo at some point during the winter.
Further, started filling with thick epoxy all holes that were either created by previous owner or have their original filler missing over old bronze screws and galvanised steel nails. I'm talking of hundred of holes, cleaned with my dremel and appropriate brush bit first, coated with a bit of CPES and then filled in. That's what I call fun under the sun...

Result, i'm knackered, especially right knee's had enough. Also want to do the same on the decks with a few dozen 2.5mm holes that failed (as in drilled the hole to fit a 5X50 ss countersunk screw only to find that I missed the underlying frame, so move a cm and did another one... Now, all these are given a proper opening on top (with a 10mm drill) so that there is a reasonable hole to fill with epoxy. More fun working bend over the deck!

Currently trying to figure out a way of covering most of the craft without resorting to a full tubular steel superstructure and thick tent material on top to avoid all the daily humidity of the morning and be able to work a bit better over the rainy season (although i'll be mostly working inside)

Exterior work that needs doing atm is:
  • removing all windows, reparing any local rot with new timber/ply, sealing, coating, sanding and temp refitting windows with new seals until May-June when they'll be removed again for painting.
  • F/B layout redone, finish paint stripping on a few surfaces and half the deck up there
  • aft deck replacement
  • aft deck gunwale (is that the right term I wonder-talking about the "sidewalls" of the aft deck) removing of all old ply, treating existing construction and re-doing it with redesigned access hatches, builtin bench at the back etc.
  • Also time to decide on pasarelle and possibly cut an access door on the transom. These two relate to the decision on keeping or removing the davits as cutting door on transom and keeping davits dont work together in my book (structurally stupid...)
cheers

V.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Wow - that's quite a transformation and must feel good to regain some structural integrity to the decks once more. (Not having to worry what might break when you stand on it must help too! :rolleyes:)

I've been scrolling back through the thread recapping the various stages - I wonder how many hours you've done so far! :eek: A great job however and I can see a very rewarding grin when you get to the end. Please keep the pictures coming :)

KevB

Visit site
Probably the most interesting thread I've seen on ybw. Even more so than the infamous MB V threads. Looking forwards to seeing the finnished article. Roll on next summer.

rafiki_

Visit site
I have back ache just thinking about the sanding/painting. Raf's teak takes about 3 hrs a time, and it takes a bottle or 2 of wine to sort the back out afterwards!

vas

Visit site
thanks for all the comments guys,

Wow - that's quite a transformation and must feel good to regain some structural integrity to the decks once more. (Not having to worry what might break when you stand on it must help too! :rolleyes:)

I've been scrolling back through the thread recapping the various stages - I wonder how many hours you've done so far! :eek: A great job however and I can see a very rewarding grin when you get to the end. Please keep the pictures coming :)

Structural stability, hm, never reaaaally missed it. It was flexing alright, the worst point was when the bow end of the sundeck was chopped and was about to be replaced and then bolted to the bowdeck. That's where bow deck would flex almost 50mm :eek: but didn't break under my 80kg...

re hours, you got to fill my palm with silver only to get me in the mood of calculating days :p
Honest, I luckily enjoy most of it (yeah I know am a masochist) and other than getting too tired last week as I was racing against the weather and rain (only had two days of rain though and temps are up to mid 20s again...) I'm happy.

This week with the planned first top coat of epoxy (call it final primer if you wish) where i'll play abit with colours I could even say I'm excited and looking forward to it :D
Filling with thick epoxy the one zillion holes is another story, but still is fun :D

Probably the most interesting thread I've seen on ybw. Even more so than the infamous MB V threads. Looking forwards to seeing the finnished article. Roll on next summer.
indeed, looking forward to June/July myself!

I have back ache just thinking about the sanding/painting. Raf's teak takes about 3 hrs a time, and it takes a bottle or 2 of wine to sort the back out afterwards!
If I was following your "method" I should be seeking advice from AA by now mr ;)

Hopefully some drastic updates during the coming week

cheers

V.

Mr Googler

Visit site
If I was following your "method" I should be seeking advice from AA by now mr.

Had heard the AA now do plumbing but boats too....all for £45 per year :D:D

Seriously, this is a fantastic thread and you are obviously very skilled, dedicated and patient. I would get fed up doing all the work you have done like preparing and filling holes so would rush it and make a hash no doubt.

Best wishes for the top coats and on to the next stages :)

jfm

Visit site
Fab stuff Vas. That's a big milestone getting it all epoxy sealed. You must be very pleased, as well as knackered. Looking forward to seeing pics of it in coloured paint next :)

rwoofer

Visit site
A fantastic endeavour I have to say. Not something that I would ever have the perserverance to take on.

Just as a bit of inspiration, I thought you might be interested in this blog of someone rebuilding a sunken Fisher 30. He really explains everything in detail and in particular his thinking behind the various problems he encounters. I've been following it for the last year.

http://www.fisher30.lackeysailing.com/project.html

vas

Visit site
thanks for the kind comments!

@bb: if yours going to be called EE, then mine should be EE2 or something like MoreEE :D
@jfm&FARSCO: trying to reduce filling time after first coat of coloured epoxy so a bit of a delay and more backpain due to more bending and filling (with thick epoxy for that mater)
@rb_stretch: yes I'm aware of this thread, too organised and structured for my liking, and I think would be too boring (at times I do believe this one is too boring as well...) Good thing you posted as I'd not bookmarked it and lost it at some point before the summer!

Update time.
Too much work at real work, not too good weather (rained one day) and trying to fill more holes and improve the surfaces to avoid lots of filling sanding after the coloured epoxy. However reaching a point where it makes sense to use colour as I spot a hole to fill only to find that the clear epoxy makes it look like a hole but it's nice and smooth. After a dozen of such cases you are well p1ssed off and want to start painting :rolleyes:

George finishes all the small patches here and there in the superstructure. Today and tomorrow we'll remove the saloon windows+frames and he'll work on small patches of rotten/blackened ply around (luckily not many)
Rain is predicted for Wed, so if we believe them, plenty of time to dry, coat locally the area and refit. Not had much luck finding replacement seal for the almost 40yo original item (which is rocksolid and breaks apart if stressed!) Will probably get a temp solution with a near fit for the winter and source a proper solution over the winter.

a few examples of the stbrd side repairs

helm_ply_repairs_18.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_19.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_20.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_21.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_23.jpg

Removed the lump of timber on the port side of the f/b where the arch was secured, found a nicely rotten piece of ply underneath (as per the stbrd side...) and replaced. Photo is preparing the hole, note a dark patch on the right bottom of the pick just off the hole, had to do an extra patch there. All to be sanded and CPESed today:

fb_deck_9.jpg

And after the time spend filling the 4 M10 holes on the stbrd side, cut and replaced them wtih new ply on the port side. Ah, well experience...
BTW must have spent 3h sorting the filled up area on stbrd and it still looks carp. I guess it will be another 3-4h filling sanding and swearing before it looks half decent!

helm_ply_repairs_22.jpg

Another round of sanding/filling for me today (also got to finish sanding the f/b floor and remove the two godawful grp seats for the f/b helm) and stealth grey painting in various tones tomorrow for the helm ceiling/sides and sundeck.
New report on Sunday eve if not too knackered.

A new problem that arises is that I was happy with slow curing CPES taking just over a day to cure at 25-30C but now takes half a week with 15-17at night and 22-23C daytime :(
Ended up getting some faster partB component and will be matching slow and fast to create decent 1day solution. Don't really want it too fast as it wont penetrate but not too slow as it never bleeding dries!

cheers

V.

vas

Visit site
as it never bleeding dries!

Hmmm, A little frustration setting in :)

Tom

yeah, I'd like to know how many months CPES with working time of 188mins would need to cure in your loverly weather :p

Switched to epoxy that only has 25min working time and all is nice with 18-23C ;)

lots of progress and some detailing that health and safety freaks would love to see...
Emptied the f/b in order to seal the rest of it. Had to remove the twin helm seat, a godawful construction rotting away and keeping the propane gas bottle (and a spare in it). Tried to remove the flex pipe (there's a hard copper pipe routed inside to the galley) and came across this amazing detail. PO had an obviously failing flex pipe and instead of replacing it (dunno would cost 20-50cent!) he opted for keeping 30mm length original pipe at each end INSIDE a clear flex water pipe... FFS!
Further, on unbolting the seating I found a nice piece of synthetic GRASS underneath the box, all soaking. Unbelievable!

fb_deck_10.jpg

fb_deck_11.jpg

fb_deck_12.jpg

fb_deck_13.jpg

3h later it was like this ready for CPES, so saved it! Note, that the stbrd side was already coated twice, there is a zig-zag pattern separating the two, but the rest will be on two coats tommorw ;)

fb_deck_14.jpg

Also removed the stbrd side saloon window frame and George repaired the rear lower corner that was rotten, not a large patch but important nontheless. Also cleared and filled two more spots and sanded/removed old layers of paint the whole surrounding and epoxied it once.

helm_ply_repairs_24.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_25.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_26.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_28.jpg

The following is not giving much detail, but frames nicely the bloke fishing in the background. It was a really lovely and v.sunny day!
helm_ply_repairs_27.jpg

So tomorrow if I'm lucky I should be coating with coloured epoxy the helm roof and adding a coat of epoxy on the f/b deck.

cheers

V.

jfm

Visit site
Good going Vas. Anticipation buiding here because you have nearly finished the plywood fixes and so will be adding the coloured epoxy - can't wait to see

PMSL here at the fake grass. I mean, wtf? I'm thinking maybe the whole fb was done in fake grass, with the seat box screwed on top, then a later owner removed the grass but had to cut around the seat box, so leaving that patch. Can you image the whole deck in fake grass LOL?

rafiki_

Visit site
Good going Vas. Anticipation buiding here because you have nearly finished the plywood fixes and so will be adding the coloured epoxy - can't wait to see

PMSL here at the fake grass. I mean, wtf? I'm thinking maybe the whole fb was done in fake grass, with the seat box screwed on top, then a later owner removed the grass but had to cut around the seat box, so leaving that patch. Can you image the whole deck in fake grass LOL?

Perhaps a previous owner was a golfer, and liked to practice the swing on the f/bridge?

I'm just thinking what a Boat Safety Cert inspector would make of the gas installation too:)

vas

Visit site
hm, should ask if PO was a golfer...
It would be absolutely hilarious with the whole f/b in fake grass :D
Unfortunately it MUST'VE BEEN like that for sometime, as JFM points, it's clear that they had the grass, fitted the trimmed iroko to take the curvature of the deck, bolted the two boxes for the seating on top and at some later point trimmed the grass out, wouldn't bother with the seating and retrimmed with the less godawful vinil with black strips (a la Princess deck)

Spent most of Sunday at home with the kids so that the wife could finish off some pressing work so couldn't do the coloured epoxy testing/painting, sorry guys :(
Only had time to remove the port saloon window, George did three patches I filled/sanded/epoxied again the surroundings of the stbrd window and later fitted temporarily both windows in replacing the original hard as a rock seal with some homemade from stripping a pipe foam insulation in two and pushing it in the ss edge of the frame, not elegant but works in case we do have a shower or two before I remove to sand/paint and refit.

Next set of pics are of the port window, focus on the three patches and repaired/finished article:
helm_ply_repairs_29.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_30.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_31.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_32.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_33.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_34.jpg

Final pics is of the stbrd side finished and replaced:

helm_ply_repairs_35.jpg

helm_ply_repairs_36.jpg

Since the weather is going to be nice and mild (sun, 18-22 a shower or two on Wed and sun again) I decided to have a go at finishing the basic work needed in the f/b before I cover the top and start working on the aft deck and then hull and inside.

So plan for the next 3-4days is to reconfigure the f/b helm, do a couple more patches on the aft of the f/b deck where the two main supports for the railings are, decide on a way to fit the railing again in place securely and paint the helm roof. See how much of that I'll manage with all the work disruption :D

One thing I'm not particularly happy and sure about is what do I do with the f/b flooring. I mean I will have a fixed L shaped seating with the actual helm seat doubling as a corner sofa sort of thing (some swapable backrest needed/half designed it already). But I don't particularly like painted ply (and I wont even discuss astra turf or other synthetic grass options!), so I'm thinking of laying teak there as well, maybe a bit thinner 8mm compared to 10 I'll probably do for the deck (or 6 vs 8mm, not decided yet).
Concerns are weight way up there, railing supports that will be lifted 8mm and wont quite fit properly on the fixed points towards the front (not really a serious issue tbh)
So, what does the panel think?

cheers

V.

BartW

www.amptec.be
what do I do with the f/b flooring. I mean I will have a fixed L shaped seating with the actual helm seat doubling as a corner sofa sort of thing (some swapable backrest needed/half designed it already). But I don't particularly like painted ply

teac for me, without doubt,
same type like downstairs.

I would do the complete empty surface,
because you never know in future if you like another configuration for the seats, etc...

jfm

Visit site
Yup, teak. 6mm is fine; you don't need 8. Or synthetic teak as in Ellesar's current thread. Then make the seat base boxes in ply or GRP