mid season scrub for boats at Bradwell

Burnham Bob

Visit site
Much as I love being a new berth holder at Bradwell, the cheapskate in me has looked at the haul out and scrub costs and they are quite expensive. Does anyone have any advice as to cheaper alternatives nearby?

Haul out, scrub and storage on the hard I can cope with once a year for antifouling and then relaunch, but usually having been on a swinging mooring in the Crouch, mid-season I've always needed a scrub.

Is there less fouling in the Marina and as we will be using the boat a lot more now it's in the Marina rather than a dinghy or a launch trip out, will my self eroding antifoul self erode and work better?

Never having used scrubbing posts I would need some advice if that is the best suggestion.

Visit site
Nothing wrong or difficult with a mid season scrub against piles. It's one of those things that seems fraught with possible disaster before you do it but afterwards very much an anti-climax. We managed it last season at night (tide times and deepish fin keel)

Colvic Watson

Visit site
Tollesbury hire their scrubbing piles out for peanuts, nice marina too.

Fouling is always worse in faster flowing water, lots more nutrients passing the front door of the little blighters on the hull :p so swinging moorings get more fouling than marina based.

MoodySabre

Visit site
They are slightly cheaper in the summer but don't compete with the reasonable deals at Shotley. As said there are posts in the creek hired from BQYC or if you are a bilgey you can dry out just to the east of the posts. Tollesbury has good scrubbing stages as does Suffolk Yacht Harbour.

Visit site
Even less on the piles :)
20150814_083612_zpsa139khku.jpg

Tiller Girl

Visit site
Yes, but all that effort......... On a serious point, I wonder if those posts have gribble like the causeway apparently. I wonder if the YC has 'surveyed' the posts?

Visit site
Sort of fun. Midnight trip up the channel and spend the early hours monitoring as the tide ebbed. Heads inlet was blocked so obvious emergency. Scrub was just a by product of the unblocking. They are Dabchics piles. Never seen anyone use them. The YC piles are far more upstanding but not available to the great unwashed.

Tiller Girl

Visit site
Doesn't the barge lie on them for the regatta!? I've always assumed the YC booked them for both pairs - not that I understand they 'own' one or pair or just provided a co-op arrangement. I know the front pair marks the height of the tide over the causeway on the front one. Quite a few fishing boats have been on the piles in the past but they seem to use the 'lifeboat' hard more often these days.

I have a couple of times used the hard but as you say going back to the mooring at midnight is 'kind of fun'!

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Doesn't the barge lie on them for the regatta!? I've always assumed the YC booked them for both pairs - not that I understand they 'own' one or pair or just provided a co-op arrangement. I know the front pair marks the height of the tide over the causeway on the front one. Quite a few fishing boats have been on the piles in the past but they seem to use the 'lifeboat' hard more often these days.

I have a couple of times used the hard but as you say going back to the mooring at midnight is 'kind of fun'!

When using posts I try and time it so HW is around 7am/7pm or are these posts not available on neaps?

Plum

Visit site
Much as I love being a new berth holder at Bradwell, the cheapskate in me has looked at the haul out and scrub costs and they are quite expensive. Does anyone have any advice as to cheaper alternatives nearby?

Haul out, scrub and storage on the hard I can cope with once a year for antifouling and then relaunch, but usually having been on a swinging mooring in the Crouch, mid-season I've always needed a scrub.

Is there less fouling in the Marina and as we will be using the boat a lot more now it's in the Marina rather than a dinghy or a launch trip out, will my self eroding antifoul self erode and work better?

Never having used scrubbing posts I would need some advice if that is the best suggestion.

Hi Bradwell Bob ☺. I assume you have a fin keel otherwise you could use Weymarks beach. Using scrubbing posts is a bit scary the first time but once done it is easier in the future if you ever need to fix somthing at short notice. A long handled brush for a acrub from the pontoon (did mine today) is also worth having, particularly if you make your own.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

omega2

Visit site
Last time we used the post's at Bradwell slipway it was a tenner.

would advise taking a look at the ground at low water before you commit

Scan0005_zpskwnt9auv.jpg

Take your bucket and brush!

Last edited: