Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

Hooligan

Visit site
Correct. The UK isnt going to consider allowing inbound/outbound international travel until after May 17 by which time all UK adults should have received their first jab. What makes anyone think that other countries are not going to apply the same criteria in terms of waiting until their own adult population has been jabbed before allowing tourists in? And then there is still the possible issue of quarantine on return to the UK. The UK govt may choose to allow international travel but retain the quarantine requirements. Not many people are going to choose to go abroad for a holiday if they have to isolate for 10days when they return
Greece is already doing this and for sure the EU approach is going to fail as it always does - witness the Eastern EU countries now ordering Sputnik. And now that Greece is talking about getting UK visitors as early as May, Spain apparently now doing same. These economies need us and frankly we should be safe to travel. re returning unless they insist on hotels then i doubt 10 days impacts many people since working from home is so common. And tbh if everyone coming back has the vaccine then there should be no need to isolate. Be positive :). Although as I said, for France who knows......

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Greece is already doing this and for sure the EU approach is going to fail as it always does - witness the Eastern EU countries now ordering Sputnik. And now that Greece is talking about getting UK visitors as early as May, Spain apparently now doing same. These economies need us and frankly we should be safe to travel. re returning unless they insist on hotels then i doubt 10 days impacts many people since working from home is so common. And tbh if everyone coming back has the vaccine then there should be no need to isolate. Be positive :). Although as I said, for France who knows......

I'm not being positive or negative, I'm just trying to be realistic. Yes the Med tourist countries need our income but what they dont need (like everybody doesnt need) is another lockdown in the winter driven by an infection spike in the summer. Delaying the arrival of tourists is going to be a lot less economically costly than another winter lockdown for them. As for vaccine passports, whether or not those are going to be accepted as a licence to travel is going to depend entirely on how effective vaccines are at stopping not just symptoms but transmission of the virus. It would be disastrous to allow several million vaccinated tourists into your country if they can still carry the virus and transmit it to the local population. Fortunately it seems the early data on that is looking positive but its not proven. The final fly in the ointment could be resistance in Europe to the Astra Zeneca vaccine. There already seems to be a reluctance from many people in some European countries to take the AZ vaccine and if that turns into reluctance to accept the vaccine passports of AZ vaccinated people, then many Brits may yet see their holiday plans dashed. That might be a problem in France, for example, where Macron has all but said that the AZ vaccine is ineffective. If French people are brainwashed into thinking the AZ vaccine is not effective, then they are not exactly going to be very welcoming to AZ vaccinated Brits (like me)

As for people going on holiday for 2 weeks and then announcing to their employer they were working from home for 10 days afterwards, all I can say is that if any of my staff did that to me they'd be on borrowed time

Portofino

Visit site
Echoing Mike’s thoughts , it depends on the transmissibility of tourist vaxed or otherwise .
Returning U.K. folks could be dealt with quarantine esp airport users to protect the U.K. from mutants .
Mutants are more likely obviously in larger unvaccinated populations.This mean really from a U.K. pov the gov needs to be sure citizens are entering similar vax ed pop groups % wise .This brings me round to ( for Brits ) Wether the EU can catch up in time for UK summer Hol season .
Theres no point say “when “ we know they will but achieving similar vaxed status by November is no use to the U.K. .

Healthy asymptomatic U.K. citizens, plane loads returning end of Sept with a mutant strain picked up from a Demi vaxed Med island is the danger .
Could turn out this new strain might defeat the current vaccination crop and as mentioned another wave + associated lockdown ensures in the Autumn/ Winter .

For EU coming to the U.K. from it’s actually safer because by the summer the tipping point of vax numbers are such the virus has no where to go ( and thus mutate ) , it’s essentially been defeated on the islands of the U.K.

Its just a numbers game ........mix the essentially vaxed U.K. pop of 68 million ( say 4 0 m adults ? ) into the 440 million EU of which by the start of summer there vaxed pool is insufficient to quashed it down .Ie say 1/2 so 220 m living breading subjects for potential mutations .

Except rigorously adopted quarantine measures I am afraid .You cannot quite rightly rule that out .
Until the % pop vaxed are comparable.

May the 17 th is quite a way off so let’s hope the EU vax program can catch up with the U.K. s to level out the % s .

Bouba

Visit site
This is a boat we passed on the Med today. I know it looks like I painted it but it is a real photo ???

mcanderson

Visit site
I'm not being positive or negative, I'm just trying to be realistic. Yes the Med tourist countries need our income but what they dont need (like everybody doesnt need) is another lockdown in the winter driven by an infection spike in the summer. Delaying the arrival of tourists is going to be a lot less economically costly than another winter lockdown for them. As for vaccine passports, whether or not those are going to be accepted as a licence to travel is going to depend entirely on how effective vaccines are at stopping not just symptoms but transmission of the virus. It would be disastrous to allow several million vaccinated tourists into your country if they can still carry the virus and transmit it to the local population. Fortunately it seems the early data on that is looking positive but its not proven. The final fly in the ointment could be resistance in Europe to the Astra Zeneca vaccine. There already seems to be a reluctance from many people in some European countries to take the AZ vaccine and if that turns into reluctance to accept the vaccine passports of AZ vaccinated people, then many Brits may yet see their holiday plans dashed. That might be a problem in France, for example, where Macron has all but said that the AZ vaccine is ineffective. If French people are brainwashed into thinking the AZ vaccine is not effective, then they are not exactly going to be very welcoming to AZ vaccinated Brits (like me)

As for people going on holiday for 2 weeks and then announcing to their employer they were working from home for 10 days afterwards, all I can say is that if any of my staff did that to me they'd be on borrowed time
Mike, my new employer offered me a work at home contract yesterday. Maybe it was a hint to take more time on the boat and then self isolate on return?