Med boaters - will you get to your boat this year?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
They would if their own population aren't also vaccinated, can't have the Brits having fun in the sun while their own people are locked indoors, or catching covid and dying in large numbers.
Even Spain, at their rather slow pace, should have vaccinated their high risk cohorts by early Summer. And just the top couple of high risk groups is sufficient to cut deaths to a fraction.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Hope you're right!
So do I!

Just remember, this time last year, we were only starting to appreciate the gravity of Covid. But even without a vaccine we still managed to crowd beaches and parks, have BLM demonstrations, open the pubs on the 4th July and enjoy decent holidays with daily deaths down to single figures. Spain was the same.

Portofino

Visit site
So do I!

Just remember, this time last year, we were only starting to appreciate the gravity of Covid. But even without a vaccine we still managed to crowd beaches and parks, have BLM demonstrations, open the pubs on the 4th July and enjoy decent holidays with daily deaths down to single figures. Spain was the same.
Its not the same though.The name only is but it’s transmission rate is higher and the next one may be worse .It has to be to survive.
So here is hierarchy of transmissible respiratory virus .
Common cold many variants
Influenza many varieties each year
Covid 19 it had 20 similar variants close enough to job lot into one group
Covid 19 Kent variant .Where the U.K. is right now enough of leap of transmission to harm .
S African variant. Vaccination program acceptable cover
Brazilian variant unknown vaccine effect but known increase even more transmission?

The more virus about the greater the pool for mutants to emerge .
So looking at the U.K. say pop 70 m with est 3 M cases of which generated 110K dead @ 40 k at its peak hospital bed occupancy .
Now 24 K due to vax + lockdown .
From that 3 m or so the Kent strain became dominant hence the second wave and they say a few S A + BrazilIan .
The SA + Brazil are not from incomers ie tourists they are what we call convergence, ie starting from different sources and ending up at the same place .

Right - big up that pool of 3m to what ever ? How about 1/2 the pop say 35 m ( albeit none hospitalised due to vaccination) .
Now with that much virus in circulation in the U.K. 11 times as much now , so much the size of the pool imagine the potential for mutants ?
Eu has a pop of 440 M so it’s pool is huge .The bigger the pools the faster mutations .
So the forum is asking the U.K. gov to merge its 70 M pool actually 3-4 M known cases and a strong fast vax program with the EUs 440 M and weak vax roll out ?

Two outcomes.
It mutates away from U.K. vaccinated antibodies, risk of a tourist bringing it back = third or yo yo lockdowns? Or
It mutates away to less pathogenic strain and the U.K. pops antibodies are irrelevant.

Question is what do you do until you know , ie next summer ? .........let them loose in the EU or place deterring barriers ?

Portofino

Visit site
Why could they not get everone to use the masks that drop down,
There is only enough oxygen supply for the plane to drop to around 10,000 ft if depressurised above .
The 0 2 thins down above 10,000 enough to notice even sat in a seat .
With gravity it does not take long to drop from 37000 ft :) to 10000 or lower .

Mr Googler

Visit site
There is only enough oxygen supply for the plane to drop to around 10,000 ft if depressurised above .
The 0 2 thins down above 10,000 enough to notice even sat in a seat .
With gravity it does not take long to drop from 37000 ft :) to 10000 or lower .
Don’t feed the troll

jrudge

Visit site
I hope so but the tea leaves look uncertain.

the good news is this time last year we had not heard of COVID and managed to get the rates really low. The first lockdowns were however more severe.

We now have a vaccine which we are doing well with and the eu will catch up

the flip side is we are now out of the eu ( transition ) so are a 3rd country.

the possibly bigger issue is that the U.K. have done well on vaccination. The main thing that can unravel this at present are mutations that vaccine can’t protect against. And I can see the U.K. govt being very keen to keep these mutations out. How acceptable it is to stop people travelling in the medium term I don’t know.

the test regime is hugely costly. Test to go to say Spain. Test to come back. Then a test at day 2 and 8 ( and day5 to release ) which will come in at £500 plus per head. This may allow the wealthy to travel ( if allowed ) but kills the normal tourist industry stone dead.

Spain etc will almost certainly cave in to tourism pressure - Mallorca for example and many others are reliant upon tourists.

so many variables so who knows !

longjohnsilver

Visit site
They would if their own population aren't also vaccinated, can't have the Brits having fun in the sun while their own people are locked indoors, or catching covid and dying in large numbers.
Most, if not all areas of Spain are not locked down, and haven’t been since the middle of last year. Restrictions and curfews, but no lockdown.

Asm

Visit site
A working vaccination means you will not get ill and use the local medical services .It does not mean you will not spread it .You could carry a low subclinical dose and act as a a symptomatic spreader .

So hundreds of thousands or millions of vexed up Brits to be accurate descending on a relatively unvaccinated population, particularly if they are more likely vulnerable .......ask yourself if you will be welcome.
Thats the destinations problem .

The UKs problem is when theses swarming hoards return after freely mixing ( arguably maybe spreading it ? ) they may bring back mutant strains .
1- with symptoms because the mutant s by passed the new antibodies. = easily identified
2- a symptomatic , with or without a neg test = introduce the mutant .

Having said this if the swarming hoards descend on a similarly vaccinated population, ie one that’s kept up with U.K. roll out then the risk of the above is neutral .
But and it’s a big “but “Portugal and I guess you can wrap Spain in ......call it Iberia is particularly at risk from the Brazilian strain .

Politically I can not see fine tuning .I mean a ban on Iberia because of the P Brazil link , yet it’s ok to go to Italy , Greece , Adriatic, France.

They could and will use the red list though for Iberia ..........your £2 K hotel Bill on rtn ?
Re where are they now!
I’m probably completely wrong and I’m not trying to cause offence, I just wonder if this is the style of posting that henryf refers to.
Btw the norm is for aircraft passengers to have an individual supply of oxygen.
The oxidizer core of an oxygen generator usually consists mainly of Sodium Chlorate (NaClO3) mixed with <5% Barium Peroxide (BaO2) and <1% Potassium Perchlorate (KClO4). This core is activated by the application of heat, which is normally generated by a mixture of lead styphnate and tetracene which itself is activated by a small explosive charge in a percussion cap.
Oh no I’m doing it now?