Marina fees

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
iI
I totally disagree...……. Your boat is there and that is what you have paid for........ Would you prefer we all got our money back and the marina went bust.

At the moment money should be down the list of priorities, if you have enough for the essentials (A boat and using it is not an essential).

Me and her indoors have also given up a lot over time and will probably loose near £3000 on holidays we wont or cant go on and my income has dropped to effectively Zero. I look at this as money paid and gone.... If I get some back then good if I dont well so be it.

I certainly would not ask my marina for any money back or other consideration.

I very much agree, perhaps those who don't seem to be able to see past the end of their nose would like to see marinas going bust, leading to less competition & higher rates going forward. Sort of shooting ones self in foot. You should be supporting your marina at this difficult time.

colhel

Visit site
I don't think it's fair to suggest that just because some are of a different opinion on this issue it doesn't mean we're as selfish as we're being made to look.
As I said earlier anxiety and uncertainty at the moment and no one as far as I'm aware are demanding anything

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I keep hearing about money and who is making what and who should be getting what...………. I feel this is very sad..... Refocus your priorities I say...…...Put money down your list of priorities.

LBRodders

Visit site
On a similar note , I am working from home - usually work in an office 5 days a week

We are very busy and have continued to receive genuine new enquiries and needs of existing clients expanding.

Using electric on computer , needing heating on most day just now.
The office must be saving on electricity for heating/aircon , tea/coffee , cleaning, etc.
Nothing has been offered to us towards our home offices costs - a token sum would be nice. (Company's are not necessarily in business to be nice but the company I work for claims to put its people first).

Due to Covid have been instructed we must take 40% of our holiday by the end of July or lose it (not previously a requirement although we can only carry a max of 5 days over to the next year). Some folk had genuinely planned to take a longer holiday later in the year so they are not pleased.

Seems to me the firm is onto a good thing. To be fair some sectors of the business have had work cut.

I guess its all legal a some of our very senior directors are lawyers.

In the same way a marina charging full fees to park a boat remains legal .

1585649563680.png

Simplified expenses if you're self-employed

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That’s all well and good until you can’t put food on the table, then money is quite high on your priorities.

I agree but I suspect most on this forum will not get to that state... If they do then perhaps buying a boat and using all your savings at some point in your life was not the best idea you ever had

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I agree but I suspect most on this forum will not get to that state... If they do then perhaps buying a boat and using all your savings at some point in your life was not the best idea you ever had

Come on, this is getting silly.

Stop making assumptions and judging people. It’s a fact that many people have used loans/marine mortgages to buy their boats. No one foresaw what is happening now. For many their income has stopped completely through no fault of their own. Times are tough. Money is important, especially if you don’t have much, or even worse, none at all, and no way of earning any.

BruceK

Visit site

Bigplumbs

Visit site
That's a tax claim not a business expense claim. OK I WFH fulltime so I need an extra room in the house for an office, broadband, business telephone line, calls, heating etc etc. It is basically the cost of renting a one room flat per month. The privilege of working from home easily exceeds £400 p/m. Swallow that over a 10 year period and it's a not insignificant sum.

I have worked from home now for 3 years. I can assure you the money you save in travel, cloths and the massive amount of time you save far outweigh any of the tiny costs you have because of working fro home

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Come on, this is getting silly.

Stop making assumptions and judging people. It’s a fact that many people have used loans/marine mortgages to buy their boats. No one foresaw what is happening now. For many their income has stopped completely through no fault of their own. Times are tough. Money is important, especially if you don’t have much, or even worse, none at all, and no way of earning any.

People should always save and have savings. If they never have then perhaps they need to think.... I have made no assumptions and make no judgement. I only give some advice and of course people are free to ignore that of course

BruceK

Visit site
I have worked from home now for 3 years. I can assure you the money you save in travel, cloths and the massive amount of time you save far outweigh any of the tiny costs you have because of working fro home

You can assure me can you? I tell you what, you've gone from sage, to prophet to Jesus faster than this virus has spread. Grab yourself a Noddy badge son, you deserve it. (y)

Portofino

Visit site
That's a tax claim not a business expense claim. OK I WFH fulltime so I need an extra room in the house for an office, broadband, business telephone line, calls, heating etc etc. It is basically the cost of renting a one room flat per month. The privilege of working from home easily exceeds £400 p/m. Swallow that over a 10 year period and it's a not insignificant sum.
Careful claiming all those expenses against tax .......
Its a double edged sword .
Say ( for ease of explanation) your house has 6 rooms workable type so excluding landings + halls + stairs .
You paid £100 K for house then shortly went into WFH and started to claim back stuff as you say you are .
Roll Fwds [ insert years ], sell the property ( note i,am calling it “ property” now ) .....the tax man will want 1/6 th , of any capital gain .
Currently your domestic residence is free of CG tax ,.....one of a few things btw if that’s all you do live in and fly below the claims radar without claiming anything back .

Business properties attract CG tax .
WFH If you spend years “ claiming “ ....stuff back .. will attract a proportion of the capital gain as tax .In this case 1/6 th ...the room calcs .
There are reliefs , or were ...
Anyhow it the” rules “ when you sell not now .

LBRodders

Visit site

If you need additional business related 'stuff' that is solely for the purposes of work you can claim that. Or try and get your parent company to pay. Although good luck (y) :ROFLMAO:

Once you are set up, you are only entitled to that tax allowance. That covers dual use of utilities and the space. Rubbish I know, they aint my rules!

LBRodders

Visit site
You can assure me can you? I tell you what, you've gone from sage, to prophet to Jesus faster than this virus has spread. Grab yourself a Noddy badge son, you deserve it. (y)

Bruce, think about all the razors and 3 piece shiny suits you have saved. Plus all those charity, birthday and wedding walk arounds that you have missed. :ROFLMAO:

BruceK

Visit site
I'm not claiming back anything. My argument still centres around the postulation that an employer if approached about covering some WFH expenses such s they are for each individual were to look to fire me I'd be gone before he had a chance. Incidently in my scenario the company closed down my branch office. The cost to keep it going was not viable. All consultants pushed into WFH. Dont assure me it costs nothing, it just makes proponents of that argument sound daft. One thing for instance I cannot have is kids playing youtube vids in the background as I'm discussing and closing ££££ deals. Makes me look like Fred in his shed.