Manana-manana!! A Record perhaps?

smee

Visit site
I wonder if this is a record for manana syndrome?! Nearly four years to get a teak deck re-caulked and still no end in sight!!

The first shipwright involved took 8 months to start the job, took all the screws out of the foredeck, left them in a heap, did one trial seam of about three foot long, and took out 10 broken damaged planks for replacement, then promptly disappeared and never returned.

The second (boat repairer) replaced all the screws by month 12, replaced the broken planks, and routed the seams of the foredeck, before giving up around month 23!

By month 35, shipwright number three had decided he'd like to do the job, as long as someone else would remove the remainder of the old caulking.

In month 37, shipwright number 4 became involved saying he would gladly remove all the old caulking as long as could then have the job of renewing it all too. Shipwright number three fell by the wayside and decided to go and work on houses instead. Shipwright number four duly took control of the job in month 38 and promised faithfully it would be finished within one month!
One month went by in which his team removed all the old caulking ready for the new stuff to be done.
Spain then (apparently) suffered its dampest winter that the yard could remember, and so the boat remained untouched until the weather dried out around month 44, at which point the high summer temperatures had arrived making working with caulking only possible in the cool of the evenings!
In month 45 I was told it would definately be finished by month 46, but month 46 has just arrived with no end in sight as now Shipwright 4 is unwell and Shipwright 3 has agreed to take the job on and finish for him, but only when he has come back from holiday, which will be month 47!!!!!!

And to cap it all none of the shipwrights involved in the job are actually Spanish!!!!

Am I the only one this has happened to..... it is driving me nuts!!!

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
you don't have to go to spain, just try getting a job done in cornwall!

any tradesman who can be bothered to turn up to quote for a job either never replies or quotes a year's wages for a month's work.

take my tip, learn to do the job yourself.

<hr width=100% size=1>

cozy

Visit site
No, you're not the only one. You just happen to be at the wrong end of the demand v supply curve, as I was when converting a barn last year. Roll on the next recession, when some (not all) tradespeople will be forced to rediscover the lost art of customer service.....

<hr width=100% size=1>