Maclan 22

telf

Visit site
Hi all,

New to the forum and new to boat ownership!

I've been given a Maclan 22 cruiser for the princely sum of £0. The boat is in a state- it was on dry land (on trailer) but full of water.

So I spent about 4 hours bailing it out - both the cabin and the outside area. Im leaving it all to dry so the GRP can be inspected but I'm not 100 certain what to look for.

The engine is still there, the cabin and all the wood/fixtures are ruined. I plan to rip it all out, inspect the Hull and go from there. I think the interior as full of water for about a year.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

Seajet

Visit site
It depends on what you mean by ' ruined ' - if really rotten the wood must go, but be very aware it only takes minutes to rip out stuff which might well take weeks & months to replace.

Take lots of photo's inc details of joins, pipe & cable runs and where everything goes.

Capt. Clueless

Visit site
Any pics?
Love a project. Took our snapdragon from a bit of a state, languishing in a yard at Woodbridge, worked tirelessly on it and it is now on Ullswater. As has been said, before all the ripping out starts, see if there is anything saveable/repairable as replacing could be costly. The purchase price seems a bargain !!

Last edited:

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Any help or advice is appreciated.

You paid too much for it! If it's in the state I imagine from your description, it has negative value. Be aware that it will in all likelihood cost a whole lot more to get this boat into a useable condition than going out & buying one that's ready to go. You will never get anywhere your money back that you spend on it. Sale prices of small old boats are very low, even in a sail-away condition. Only go ahead if your pleasure is from the rebuilding rather than wanting to get on the water.

telf

Visit site
Hi Angus,

Yep I had a look for the same boat for sale - in the region of £2k.

So Im not looking at making anything on it and will keep it when finished. I'm pretty good with engines and mechanical stuff. The interior is a total loss.

I imagine it may end up costing me 3 to 4K to put right...

Tranona

Visit site
Hi Angus,

Yep I had a look for the same boat for sale - in the region of £2k.

So Im not looking at making anything on it and will keep it when finished. I'm pretty good with engines and mechanical stuff. The interior is a total loss.

I imagine it may end up costing me 3 to 4K to put right...

Why spend up to £4k on a boat plus all the hours of work when it will be worth less than half that when it is finished - if you are lucky. Best thing to do now you have it is to sell anything such as the engine that has any value and scrap the rest.

telf

Visit site
well , I honestly don't know what it will cost- im guessing at 3k. I'm not too bothered how long it takes me to renovate it either!

The main thing (for me) is rebuilding it. Im lucky in that I don't have any storage fees. If I take it to bits - which at the present rate will take me another 10 hours and find the hull has had it then nothing lost -apart from a bit of time.

Will post pictures if I ever get permission!

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
The main thing (for me) is rebuilding it. Im lucky in that I don't have any storage fees. If I take it to bits - which at the present rate will take me another 10 hours and find the hull has had it then nothing lost -apart from a bit of time.

If you take on the project fully aware of the financial implications, and the main reason for doing it is the pleasure of fettling & bringing a boat back to life, then that is an excellent reason for doing it. Boat tinkering is a noble & rewarding hobby! Do a bit of research though on the cost of bits needed. A replacement engine would be expensive & even seemingly simple things like upholstery can cost an arm and a leg.

telf

Visit site
So heres a few pics...

side shot and the rear area pre and post strip

Attachments

• b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 41
  • b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 37
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 32

telf

Visit site
If you take on the project fully aware of the financial implications, and the main reason for doing it is the pleasure of fettling & bringing a boat back to life, then that is an excellent reason for doing it. Boat tinkering is a noble & rewarding hobby! Do a bit of research though on the cost of bits needed. A replacement engine would be expensive & even seemingly simple things like upholstery can cost an arm and a leg.

Financial implications! Unsure! but I do like fixing things!

Even Chance

Visit site
Good luck with fixing it up. Im sure you will have loads of fun in the process. Some dont realise the pure enjoyment that can be had from rescuing something like this and restoring it. If you can do it all yourself, and it sounds like you can, then the only costs are materials and fixings etc, which if bought as needed can keep the cost to a minimum, and more importantly, affordable level. Never listen to the doom and gloom naysayers, and go have some fun. ;-)

Topcat47

Visit site
I'd be worried about the submerged engine. Your time is your own and wood and wire are relatively cheap. It's a river cruiser so no need for sophisticated electronics unless that's your bag. Good luck.

telf

Visit site
On closer inspection the engine seems ok- it doesn't appear to have been submerged due to the whole boat pitching forward with the weight of water in it.

I will post some updates, its a shame there's no renovation/refurb section like in the car forum Im part of - Yes also have 2 classic cars on the go at the mo!

Kim Lyne

Visit site
Hi there,
I have a fully refurbished Maclan 22 which I finished a few years back.
Lots of pictures if you are interested.
I know it's an old post, but help may be available if you need it !
Thanks,
Kim.

Kim Lyne

Visit site
Yes maybe true,
it's a great little boat which looks bigger inside than you would expect for a 22 footer.
Mine has got the hard top which I have modified and had new covers made so you bump your head less !
I will post some pictures if anyone is interested ?