Lowstoft next week

dabsolute470

www.coverdalegroup.co.uk
hiya, we are heading to the norfolk broads next weekend for 2 weeks
we are going from fambridge on the crouch to lowestoft and thinking about trying lowestoft haven marina
we see there is 2 sides to the marina, what would be the best side for the river be for food and drink places?
we are then heading through mutford lock to the broads any recommendations welcome for places to visit on the broads

thanks
heather and steve

Leighb

Visit site
We have just recently visited the Waveney and the Yare, on the Waveney do stop at Somerleyton and have a meal at the Duke's Head. Definitely not to be missed.
On the Yare, the Reedham Ferry pub is not bad, and the Water's Edge at Bramerton ( a short way below Postwick Bridge) was very good.
If you like historical sites, then the Roman Fort at Burgh Castle is well worth seeing. I don't know what the pub there is like as we ate on board that night.

aquapower

Visit site
we are going from fambridge on the crouch to lowestoft and thinking about trying lowestoft haven marina
we see there is 2 sides to the marina, what would be the best side for the river be for food and drink places?
we are then heading through mutford lock to the broads any recommendations welcome for places to visit on the broads

thanks
heather and steve

I would stay at Royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club instead of Lowestoft haven and it doesn't really have too much to offer at either side.

Greg2

Visit site
I would stay at Royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club instead of Lowestoft haven and it doesn't really have too much to offer at either side.

Not just me then Steve! :)

Good to chat earlier and look forward to catching up when you are here :)

Bridgeman

Visit site

thanks
heather and steve

Stopped in Hamilton dock a couple of months ago on way home from Norwich. Found it very quiet and facilities clean. Only 10 minutes walk into town and plenty of places to eat in town centre. Mutford lock on restricted use then, so may be worth checking it is back to normal.
Have good trip.
Neil

Leighb

Visit site
Stopped in Hamilton dock a couple of months ago on way home from Norwich. Found it very quiet and facilities clean. Only 10 minutes walk into town and plenty of places to eat in town centre. Mutford lock on restricted use then, so may be worth checking it is back to normal.
Have good trip.
Neil

Mutford Lock returned to normal working on 3rd June, and was working fine when we went through on the 11th. They have had issues with the railway swing bridge though. The morning we went through it had refused to open at 09-15, but they had beaten it into submission by the time of our booked passage at 10-45. :D

mersey

Visit site
Stopped in Hamilton dock a couple of months ago on way home from Norwich. Found it very quiet and facilities clean. Only 10 minutes walk into town and plenty of places to eat in town centre.

Didn't have the wind farm vessels, starting up and running their engines for an hour before leaving at 5AM then?

Clean, yes, quiet no, I've stayed their a couple of times, over a month in total, but don't recommend it.

Next time I stop at Lowestoft, it'll be the RNSYC.

Bridgeman

Visit site
Didn't have the wind farm vessels, starting up and running their engines for an hour before leaving at 5AM then?

Clean, yes, quiet no, I've stayed their a couple of times, over a month in total, but don't recommend it.

Next time I stop at Lowestoft, it'll be the RNSYC.

Cannot say other vessel noise bothered me in 3 times I have stopped off at Hamilton dock. After saying that I have spent last 50+ years at sea with engine and vessel noise so may be getting used to it. The noise from vehicle traffic and holiday makers nearer the town may have been a problem though.

Robin B

Visit site
Yup - either RNSYC or whip through the lock and stay at the Wherry right next door. Deeper water on the left as you look at the pub from the water...

Leighb

Visit site
We stayed in RNSYC on our recent visit(s). Lovely friendly club, and still quite close to shops etc, however it can be surprisingly lumpy in there especially if any E in the wind.

Greg2

Visit site
Yup - either RNSYC or whip through the lock and stay at the Wherry right next door. Deeper water on the left as you look at the pub from the water...

Wouldn't take our boat there.....not enough water and there are some nasties on the bottom that won't mix well with props. Bad memories with the d'absolute several years ago :(

Floating Preferably

Visit site
Oulton Broad, the place that started my enjoyment, some may say obsession, with motorboats. I believe the LOBMBRC ( I htink that is right but happy to be corrected) is the oldest motorboat racing club in the country having been started over 100 years ago. Anyway it was their custom to race motorboats every Thursday evening in the summer months. I first saw them in 1954 and was totally blown away by it Hydroplanes, outboard runabouts, inboard engined speedboats including the lovely little Albatross. It was a boys holiday of dreams, learning to sail and fishing during the day, beach trips and motorboat racing. I owe a lot to that holiday. Enjoy your stay in the area.