LIVEABOARD IN THE SOLENT

Leisure 27

Visit site
What is the best marina in the Solent for a liveaboard? I have a 27-foot long sailing boat and I do not want to pay more than £4000 a year. I would like it to be openly known I am living on board and to have my mail. parcels delivered to the marina office.

ashtead

Visit site
I doubt in the Solent you will get a marina that cheap for a circa 8m boat but try say island harbour or Fareham creek if looking for a cheap quote to test the market. We are at Haslar and a number of liveabords there who are living openly and we feel add to marina community certainly better than commercial day fishing boats steaming inland out or dive boats running genset to charge their dive tanks.

Visit site
I doubt in the Solent you will get a marina that cheap for a circa 8m boat but try say island harbour or Fareham creek if looking for a cheap quote to test the market. We are at Haslar and a number of liveabords there who are living openly and we feel add to marina community certainly better than commercial day fishing boats steaming inland out or dive boats running genset to charge their dive tanks.
Good comments. A bit off the ops question but for me you've made a great point about the proliferation of "fishing" boats. Gosport has the same - 5 am departures, their stink etc and no real berth zoning of aforesaid into one corner of marina either. Not sure what some marinas have against those who stay on board for long periods. It is somewhat an unjust policy and the more who question and 'fight' it the better!

Tranona

Visit site
Not sure what some marinas have against those who stay on board for long periods. It is somewhat an unjust policy and the more who question and 'fight' it the better!

Because they do not have planning permission for residential use. They are parks for leisure boats or working boats. So they are perfectly within their rights to exclude liveaboards. Usually within their contracts is a clause that limits time spent on board to satisfy their planning conditions. However many tolerate liveaboards, although some have found that a small number lack tolerance and try to assert "rights" they do not have. So best, if you wish to live in this way accept that you do not have rights above those in your contract. It is not "unjust" nor something that has to be "fought" against.

ashtead

Visit site
The other reason some marinas might not like liveabords is they tend to be more vocal on behalf of the bertholders and can source info and create an active user group to keep an eye on the “landlords” and facilities and plans . I don’t say this based on my experiences at boatfolk although they need to do something about the poor quality of the eatery at Portland ,however at Haslar the local tenant has always tried hard at the lightship Mary Mouse but now seems to be moving on.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Haslar fan here....This was a couple of yrs ago but the staff are still the same I believe:
I spent 6 months full-time liveaboard in Haslar, paying at a reasonable monthly visitor rate, including unlimited leccy, which was mega handy in winter. I didn't ask permission, and nobody queried it but they just quietly let me do it. Very nice folk.
I was tied up outside the lightship which is a bit rolly sometimes, but the showers were a few yards away.
You are really in the centre of the action and sitting on the lightship watching the warships, pint in hand, is right on the doorstep, how cool is that?

Bajansailor

Visit site
You are really in the centre of the action and sitting on the lightship watching the warships, pint in hand, is right on the doorstep, how cool is that?

And the cost of any real estate ashore that would allow you to do that would probably be in 7 figures.
You also have the advantage where you can always up sticks (or mooring warps rather) and move if you get fed up with the view (or the occasional rolling).

V1701

Visit site
Depends what you want really, Birdham Pool (Chichester) is lovely and tranquil & has liveaboards but miles from anywhere. Most marinas have at least a few liveaboards, you'd obviously have to ask about post but be aware that if you ask they might just say you can't live aboard or use the marina as your address - most marinas will ask for/require a land postal address anyway so if you can ask a relative or friend if you can use their address that might well make things easier (e.g. I use my brother's address). You might then get away with asking if it's ok to have a few things for the boat delivered directly to the marina??? Generally speaking it's usually best not to mention the L word and just be subtle about it...

And I really wish it wasn't made so difficult to live your life a little differently in the UK but Tranona's absolutely correct in what he says above. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find somewhere...

ashtead

Visit site
Haslar is some way from the rock throwers -once you have made your their it’s a lovely spot and I value a marina which has low staff turnover . Clearly some improvement to the shower block onG pontoon is needed and better chefs at The onshore restaurant Hardways would be welcome but compared to Portland which has a far better building to work from it’s tolerable. Now the dredging is complete it has no real downsides save for lack of access roads into Gosport. Morrison’s,Asda,Waitrose and Aldi nearby plus chandlery at Arthur’s and uboat in walking distance.if bored with the fleshpots of Gosport eg castle tavern or the Chinese eat all you can then just catch the green ferry to Portsmouth and enjoy the eateries of gunwharf plus cinema or nightclub etc. Obviously other Marina in Gosport though to compare .

Visit site
Because they do not have planning permission for residential use. They are parks for leisure boats or working boats. So they are perfectly within their rights to exclude liveaboards. Usually within their contracts is a clause that limits time spent on board to satisfy their planning conditions. However many tolerate liveaboards, although some have found that a small number lack tolerance and try to assert "rights" they do not have. So best, if you wish to live in this way accept that you do not have rights above those in your contract. It is not "unjust" nor something that has to be "fought" against.
Hi, yes I've read these reasons many times. I'd counter what you say however on a number of fronts, some specific but some generic in relation to the power balance between the marine industry in general and the users. I understand the planning thing thid has become an urban myth from decades ago ( when it may have been pertinent) and its best not to perpetuate today. Moreover, practice on the ground over the same decades in many marinas, - by both the civic authorities and the marina operators - has shown this to be, in English law, acceptable practice. If you wanted to continue to cite the planning t and c argument, the marinas could easily do as many caravan and mobile home sites did (and continue to do) and have an 11 month continuous norm in any case. So, this is the the bottom line. First , marina operators ought to in any case focus more on meeting customer needs and requirements - and only being able to live aboard for no more than X weeks in a given short period of a couple of months is just not doing that (and frankly many charging regimes it might fairly be argued are somewhat excessive for a merely providing a 'boat park'). Second, it all needs to be a lot more transparent from the marinas side and, probably, the civic authorities, In this way, alas, it is necessary to challenge the perceived norm and practice, especially where there is basically an unchallenged cartel in the provision of marina services in parts of the country, and where (for various unhealthy socio -political reasons not to go into here) there is an unacceptable and utter dominance of a wealthy user-base who care not a jot what they are charged. A sector of society wanting to live afloat (or just to be on their boat longer than some other users), or frankly being unable to live in a 'standard' bricks and mortar dwelling for whatever reasons, should not be treated as some awkward segment of society who can't be accommodated - because they can, as has been shown up and down the country. As boat cruisers we should fight any restrictions and somewhat illogical and random limitations in the use of your boat, whether it be for just sitting on it for days on end or moving place to place. To summarise, we need: more transparency and consistency of practice from marinas and civic authorities; for marine services to make far greater efforts to meet the needs of all their market segments - more capacity is needed, for sure too; and for users of aforesaid segments to challenge and, indeed, 'fight' for what is fair and proportionate....and staying for extended periods on your boat fits slap-bang in that category.
All in my experience and opinion, of course....

nortada

Visit site
Hi, yes I've read these reasons many times.

I'd counter what you say however on a number of fronts, some specific but some generic in relation to the power balance between the marine industry in general and the users.

I understand the planning thing thid has become an urban myth from decades ago ( when it may have been pertinent) and its best not to perpetuate today.

Moreover, practice on the ground over the same decades in many marinas, - by both the civic authorities and the marina operators - has shown this to be, in English law, acceptable practice. If you wanted to continue to cite the planning t and c argument, the marinas could easily do as many caravan and mobile home sites did (and continue to do) and have an 11 month continuous norm in any case.

So, this is the the bottom line.

First , marina operators ought to in any case focus more on meeting customer needs and requirements - and only being able to live aboard for no more than X weeks in a given short period of a couple of months is just not doing that (and frankly many charging regimes it might fairly be argued are somewhat excessive for a merely providing a 'boat park').

Second, it all needs to be a lot more transparent from the marinas side and, probably, the civic authorities, In this way, alas, it is necessary to challenge the perceived norm and practice, especially where there is basically an unchallenged cartel in the provision of marina services in parts of the country, and where (for various unhealthy socio -political reasons not to go into here) there is an unacceptable and utter dominance of a wealthy user-base who care not a jot what they are charged.

A sector of society wanting to live afloat (or just to be on their boat longer than some other users), or frankly being unable to live in a 'standard' bricks and mortar dwelling for whatever reasons, should not be treated as some awkward segment of society who can't be accommodated - because they can, as has been shown up and down the country.

As boat cruisers we should fight any restrictions and somewhat illogical and random limitations in the use of your boat, whether it be for just sitting on it for days on end or moving place to place.

To summarise, we need: more transparency and consistency of practice from marinas and civic authorities; for marine services to make far greater efforts to meet the needs of all their market segments - more capacity is needed, for sure too; and for users of aforesaid segments to challenge and, indeed, 'fight' for what is fair and proportionate....and staying for extended periods on your boat fits slap-bang in that category.

Hope you don’t mind but as a dyslexic, to make your arguments easier to follow and respond to, I have punctuated them into paragraphs.

As you raise it, what is your experience?

I have been a Liveaboard for the last 20 years, both in the UK and abroad and also own a static caravan in a UK holiday park for the last 15 years.

You expound many ideas, laced with shoulds and how it aught to be.

Reality is, it is the marinas and local authorities bat and ball and they will administer it as they see fit. If you push against the status quo, they will push back hard and it will become more difficult, for you and other potential liveaboards.

Both marinas and caravan parks are over seen by local councils who do not want the risks posed by what they see as ragged arsed squatters who could put an additional burden on resources and contribute nothing.

Pressed by local authorities, caravan parks are required to confirm that caravan owners have property elsewhere. Nevertheless less these caravan owners are required to pay council tax on their vans.

Rather than confront authority, it is far better to suss the lay of the land and live below the radar.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Hi, yes I've read these reasons many times. I'd counter what you say however on a number of fronts, some specific but some generic in relation to the power balance between the marine industry in general and the users. I understand the planning thing thid has become an urban myth from decades ago ( when it may have been pertinent) and its best not to perpetuate today. Moreover, practice on the ground over the same decades in many marinas, - by both the civic authorities and the marina operators - has shown this to be, in English law, acceptable practice. If you wanted to continue to cite the planning t and c argument, the marinas could easily do as many caravan and mobile home sites did (and continue to do) and have an 11 month continuous norm in any case. So, this is the the bottom line. First , marina operators ought to in any case focus more on meeting customer needs and requirements - and only being able to live aboard for no more than X weeks in a given short period of a couple of months is just not doing that (and frankly many charging regimes it might fairly be argued are somewhat excessive for a merely providing a 'boat park'). Second, it all needs to be a lot more transparent from the marinas side and, probably, the civic authorities, In this way, alas, it is necessary to challenge the perceived norm and practice, especially where there is basically an unchallenged cartel in the provision of marina services in parts of the country, and where (for various unhealthy socio -political reasons not to go into here) there is an unacceptable and utter dominance of a wealthy user-base who care not a jot what they are charged. A sector of society wanting to live afloat (or just to be on their boat longer than some other users), or frankly being unable to live in a 'standard' bricks and mortar dwelling for whatever reasons, should not be treated as some awkward segment of society who can't be accommodated - because they can, as has been shown up and down the country. As boat cruisers we should fight any restrictions and somewhat illogical and random limitations in the use of your boat, whether it be for just sitting on it for days on end or moving place to place. To summarise, we need: more transparency and consistency of practice from marinas and civic authorities; for marine services to make far greater efforts to meet the needs of all their market segments - more capacity is needed, for sure too; and for users of aforesaid segments to challenge and, indeed, 'fight' for what is fair and proportionate....and staying for extended periods on your boat fits slap-bang in that category.
This is not a political question. If you want to live afloat then you have to fit in with what is established. The "them and us" attitude does not help. Marinas are not the answer to housing shortages. Marinas are (in general) private property and the owners can operate them however they like, consistent with the law which is what they do. Their business is to provide parking for leisure boats. Those who want to live aboard do not make up a significant market sector and in most cases they can fill all their berths with their prime targets. It is of course the case that many tolerate liveaboards who manage to fit in such a way that does not impinge on the rights of other users. It works because the marina owners have control over who they let berths to. There will always be a local "cartel" or even monopoly simply because there is a scarce resource that in most cases cannot be expanded.

If you want to see what happens when such controls are not effective you only have to look at our rivers and canals, particularly the non tidal Thames and canals close to conurbations where the controlling bodies (EA and CRT) have not been able to exercise effective control over mooring alongside to the detriment of all other users.

Oscar24

Visit site
There is an argument that if living full time in a marina, you should pay more as you will be using the facilties more than the average berth holder.
The marina im in has a few liveaboards and they all keep a very low profile and don't 'rock the boat'
Unfortunately one liveaboard couple who had spent over a year doing up their boat and living in it on the hard standing, ended up upsetting not just the owners of the yard, but the other berth holders and were evicted. (Spreading out, welding and making a right mess) looked like a traveller camp.
This sort of behavior gives liveaboards a bad name.

Last edited:

V1701

Visit site
There is an argument that if living full time in a marina, you should pay more as you will be using the facilties more than the average berth holder...

Yes I think that's fair enough, how much that should be I'm not sure. They have done this at the Premier marina I'm in, I believe it also applies to other Premier marinas, although there's at least one Premier marina that absolutely will not tolerate liveaboards. Which of course we are not, we are simply people who enjoy spending up to 12 weeks at a time for up to 48 weeks per year on our boats! I was paying £4300 now about a grand more for my non-liveaboard liveaboard contract...

Leisure 27

Visit site

Leisure 27

Visit site
Thank you Solent Cruiser very well said. What harm am I doing living on my boat? Due to the unbelievable greed of the housing market. Builders solicitors estate agents etc I can not afford a house. I do not know how the prices keep going up. How do young people start a family when a simple 3-bed house is needlessly so much. In Poole, it costs £450 a month to rent a room in someone's crappy little house. Even if I could afford a house I would much prefer to live on my boat even in winter in England. It is the best thing I have ever done. These moaners. jobsworths would they prefer me to live on the streets or have the government house me. rather then let me find another way. ?Yes, I do not pay council tax but I would pay it if the laws were made easier for liveaboards'. We are not a burden on society. We find a way in difficult times. I am a dedicated yachtsman, not a dosser.