Lightweight tender: recommendations?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
I'm happy to invest in a proper supply for the inflator. Location tbc. Cockpit is large, fold down transom a decent size. So that's an obvious spot to manage the dink if manhandling the various masses can be overcome.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm happy to invest in a proper supply for the inflator. Location tbc. Cockpit is large, fold down transom a decent size. So that's an obvious spot to manage the dink if manhandling the various masses can be overcome.

Rather than having a proper electrical supply for an inflator, why not install a suitable small compressor and have an air line connector for doing the inflation?

doug748

Visit site
We have a couple of inflatables and in any form of chop I feel much safer in the heavier Quicksilver with an air deck but it is a two man job to inflate and launch on board even using a halyard to lift and launch. My question would be how stable a lightweight 3D would be going ashore in say Alderney in any breeze for example but maybe limitations on use plus what might be a shorter life is the price to be paid for the lack of weight. I do remember seeing a couple arriving for their first sea trial in the marina with one of these and on their return vowing to put on eBay asap as they felt some concern regarding stability . Clearly just their views but it might be worth trying one out before you buy if you have previously had a more solid version. As has been mentioned fitting a socket in cockpit for the inflator might be an idea as part of fit out provided it's the trolling sort . Are they that much lighter than say a Seago though ?

I was a bit circumspect before, but I agree, lightweight tenders are a nightmare is rude conditions. The OP would be wise to try one before purchase. Sooner or later you do have to use a tender in poor situations unless you intend to roost in marinas all the time.

Seago are the heavyweight champs though - at the other end of the scale.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
Had exactly the same weight issue with previous Excel 230, which was fine except for its weight, which made it a pain to hump in & out of locker and around on deck.

Replaced with 3D 270 with transom. Half the weight, takes up less space, & use existing Honda 2.3 air cooled (a bit noisy) but the light weight is worth it. I would suggest the 290 if you're wanting to go 4 up, as the extra weight & packed size is negligible.

prv

Visit site
Rather than having a proper electrical supply for an inflator, why not install a suitable small compressor and have an air line connector for doing the inflation?

In my case, space mostly. A bit of wiring and a socket doesn't need significant volume, and the pump fits in a hand and can be stowed wherever. It is a bit noisy, though, and the speed is OK but could be faster.

In an ideal world I would have something plumbed in - although a workshop style compressor with its high pressure but relatively low volume probably isn't the right thing. There are combined turbine (for initial volume) and piston (for final pressure) pumps designed for installation in ski boats for blowing up doughnuts and other towable toys.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
I just use a foot pump, it doesn't take very long or involve much exertion. And it has the benefit that it can also be used to suck the air out of the tender prior to re-packing.

richardsn9

Visit site
Another vote for a Torqueedo 1003 outboard. As the heavy battery detaches, the two main sections each become a one-handed lift. Find a dealer and try one out. Also no petrol smells in the car. It is worth paying a bit more for the larger capacity battery.

Yes it is more expensive, but if you are looking are looking at buying a new outboard anyway, if you look at the absence of servicing costs over 5-6 years, and recharging also saves money over fuel, oil etc. worth a trip to have a look at one?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You mean have a compressor permanently fitted and wired in?

Yes, that was what I was thinking.

In an ideal world I would have something plumbed in - although a workshop style compressor with its high pressure but relatively low volume probably isn't the right thing. There are combined turbine (for initial volume) and piston (for final pressure) pumps designed for installation in ski boats for blowing up doughnuts and other towable toys.

Thanks - you've expressed just what I meant by "suitable" pump a lot better than I did!

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Had exactly the same weight issue with previous Excel 230, which was fine except for its weight, which made it a pain to hump in & out of locker and around on deck.

Replaced with 3D 270 with transom. Half the weight, takes up less space, & use existing Honda 2.3 air cooled (a bit noisy) but the light weight is worth it. I would suggest the 290 if you're wanting to go 4 up, as the extra weight & packed size is negligible.
Hi, have you had issues with using the 3D in lumpy / windy conditions, as suggested by others might be an issue?

Last edited:

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Another vote for a Torqueedo 1003 outboard. As the heavy battery detaches, the two main sections each become a one-handed lift. Find a dealer and try one out. Also no petrol smells in the car. It is worth paying a bit more for the larger capacity battery.

Yes it is more expensive, but if you are looking are looking at buying a new outboard anyway, if you look at the absence of servicing costs over 5-6 years, and recharging also saves money over fuel, oil etc. worth a trip to have a look at one?
This is now on my list.

rudolph_hart

Visit site
Not really. We've used it the the Ore/Alde (Suffolk) - where tides can run quite fast - and when butting into wind-over-tide situations we can get a bit of spray because the tubes are slightly smaller than the heavier inflatables. Another thing to watch - don't use an overly powerful engine, as the flat inflatable floor can cause prop cavitation.

Sadlermike

Notionally Argyll but normally on boat away from h
Visit site
I had a 3D 230. One afternoon it flooded, i.e it was completely full of water. There were only two people on board and I had not considered the conditions dangerous. The weight of water in the dinghy ruined it. It strained the joints and the boat leaked.

I replaced it with a 3D 250. I found that the larger dinghy was no more difficult to lift on board on my own and I thought that the larger chambers and being three of them (c.f. two on the 230) would make it safer. I accepted that it might not be as robust as a heavier dinghy but thought that this was outweighed by my being able to carry the 3D over ground which (on my own) I would have to drag a heavier dinghy.

Both of the plastic ‘T’ fittings that attach the oars to the rowlocks have broken at different times. This has left me with no way of using one of the oars; obviously a potentially serious situation. Last week I misjudged a rock, the dinghy hit it and punctured. OK, it was my fault but I do not believe dinghies I have previously owned would have punctured.

pvb

Visit site
Ho hum. Not so good.

I mentioned earlier that the dealer I spoke to said the 3D tenders weren't necessarily long-term propositions, and has now stopped selling them. I think they're probably OK if you're very careful with them, although I reckon directional stability may be a problem with the flat-bottomed ones. The newer 3D versions with fabric covers are obviously more resistant to damage, but they weigh about the same as a "proper" tender.