Lightweight tender: recommendations?

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Hoho. Just about everything .... but much of it pretty mundane, I'll probably be asking for input on liferaft, and MOB recovery stuff though, been reading the single-handed MOB thread with great interest. Also might consider upgrading the AIS (Garmin) to transponder. Cruising chute / gennaker / some other downwind sail on the list for 2019.

I'm broke now though; I got a very good deal from Clipper but still spent quite a few £k than my max budget so I've had to dip into my fitting out budget to pay for the boat. OK I bought (errr, SWMBO bought) some costly options we didn't need but as she's now happy I'm happy. I started this journey looking for a used 30' - 35' boat sub £50k and ended up here because the present Mrs Smith kept encouraging me to spend more and go bigger; guess that must be good, right?

pvb

Visit site
Hoho. Just about everything .... but much of it pretty mundane, I'll probably be asking for input on liferaft, and MOB recovery stuff though, been reading the single-handed MOB thread with great interest. Also might consider upgrading the AIS (Garmin) to transponder. Cruising chute / gennaker / some other downwind sail on the list for 2019.

I'm broke now though; I got a very good deal from Clipper but still spent quite a few £k than my max budget so I've had to dip into my fitting out budget to pay for the boat. OK I bought (errr, SWMBO bought) some costly options we didn't need but as she's now happy I'm happy. I started this journey looking for a used 30' - 35' boat sub £50k and ended up here because the present Mrs Smith kept encouraging me to spend more and go bigger; guess that must be good, right?

I just hope she doesn't hear that you called her "the present Mrs Smith"! :rolleyes:

Ruffles

www.soulbury.demon.co.uk
Not advice in any sense - just my personal experience as someone who has had sciatica and general back pain for many, many years.
1) recurrence is rarely as a result of lifting a heavy weight. Worse episode was lifting a toddlers tricycle!
2) the only useful medical intervention is pain killers so that you can keep moving.
3) exercise is the only thing that keeps it at bay. Core strength through a few simple exercises, which you can do while watching tv!

My hard dinghy must weigh around 70kg!

ashtead

Visit site
Interested to hear ideas on liferaft and MOB stuff as was pondering if its worth having our current Seago liferaft serviced (its been serviced once before) or if better options now exist and we should put the funds towards a newer version ? I am sure many have advised on this one before though.

On MOB front one thing we don't have which was looking at is some form of emergency boarding ladder given absence of stern scoop nowadays -there seems to be a French idea called Magic Reboard which was the type of thing in mind.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
....some form of emergency boarding ladder given absence of stern scoop nowadays -there seems to be a French idea called Magic Reboard which was the type of thing in mind.
I'm having something similar. My boat has a ladder embedded in the transom but it cannot be deployed from the water unless the transom is already folded down, which has to be done from the cockpit. Modern boats with high freeboard seem to present a particular problem.

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
I'm having something similar. My boat has a ladder embedded in the transom but it cannot be deployed from the water unless the transom is already folded down, which has to be done form the cockpit. Modern boats with high freeboard seem to present a particular problem.

Interestingly the latest 34 has an emergency ladder in a tube on the solid part of the transom with a stainless grab rail above. This was fitted to a number of earlier Bavarias with drop down transoms. My boat has the boss for the tube moulded in already.

You have reminded me that now I am up and running I must chase Clipper again to get a price from Bavaria for the parts to retrofit it.

dunedin

Visit site
Interestingly the latest 34 has an emergency ladder in a tube on the solid part of the transom with a stainless grab rail above. This was fitted to a number of earlier Bavarias with drop down transoms. My boat has the boss for the tube moulded in already.

You have reminded me that now I am up and running I must chase Clipper again to get a price from Bavaria for the parts to retrofit it.

Is it one of these ? I think other versions also available. Might be a lot cheaper to search and buy from an online chandler rather than pay dealer mark ups?
http://osculati.com/en/cat/Scheda.aspx?id=22632