Lifting engine out of a Nimbus

colhel

Visit site
With access so tight in the engine bay I'm thinking of lifting the engine out to give a more thorough inspection/service.
Never done this before.
Engine is a tamd41a, if anyone has any pointers, that would be great.

Cheers

DrSpock

Visit site
Which Nimbus? If it's a 310 you have the inspection hatches in the berth. Engine out you'll need a hi-ab with the back door off.

DrSpock

Visit site
If the roof opening is over the engine then just take it off and lift it straight out. You'll want a couple of blocks so you can lift it up at an angle if needed.

Label all of the hoses and fixings before you disconnect them - you'll need the engine aligned when putting it back in and you might want to replace the mounts and get it steam cleaned / painted.

Get a wet vac if you haven't got one - you can clean up the engine bay when it's clear.

Greg2

Visit site
If you are able to have a direct lift then removing an engine isn’t actually difficult. Obviously disconnecting all electrics and fuel lines is important and it is better to undo the bolts that secure the engine mountings to the boat, leaving the mountings on the engine, so that alignment is likely to be maintained when you put it back.

We did it on a Targa 35 and it was very tight - the engines had to be lifted slightly and moved forward sufficiently to clear the transom shields. The trouble was that there was very little room in front of the engines so they had to come out at a 45 degree angle, which was a little concerning as all the weight was on the forward lifting eye. A chain block on the rear eye was the way to do it and despite our concerns it all went very smoothly.

Removing the port engine
BBBBE3DF-5F46-4FBB-B949-DA08F3E25176.jpeg

Well worth doing the job as we got the 14 year old KAD42s looking pretty tidy
2C74F6D9-14F1-4234-8D89-33AA671A5374.jpeg

It also enabled us to get what had been a pretty manky engine bay looking much improved
D2319BB2-1648-4BE0-8111-D35468C0725A.jpeg

We were able to have the boat wintered ashore next to the club crane, which made things a whole lot easier than they might have been. Overall, well worth doing and if you enjoy a project a very satisfying job.

colhel

Visit site
Thanks all, reassuring to know its a worthwile project! Next time I'm on board I'll take some more pictures and try and work out a plan.
I'm not sure when I'll do it or why my writing as turned to bold print after it went all italic on me this morning.

spannerman

Visit site
If there isn’t much room in front of the engine you can just undo all the bolts around the flywheel cover, the one behind the exhaust won’t come out but it can just sit in its hole. The engine only needs to go forward a few inches then before lifting straight up, this means you don’t have to remove the drive unless you need to service it also.

swifty

Visit site
Colhel, I have taken out the engine TAMD31B from my Nimbus 27 Famillia. After much soul searching my friend and I came up with the following method that worked, we remove the engine hatch completely disconnected the shaft ( we lifted with the gearbox still attached) we hired a truck with a long reaching Hiab. We first attached a block and tackle to lift attached to the Hiab arm to lift the engine clear of the bay and then had some pre made wooden bearers placed under the engine to support it. We then disconnected the block and tackle and stropped the engine directly to the Hiab arm, gently lifted the engine clear of the bay and other obstacles and started to withdraw it from the boat. One further problem we had was, as the Hiab arm was at its maximum extension the alarm went off, we stopped the withdrawal and had a think. The answer we came up with and it worked was to position a forklift and use its arms to take some of the stress of the Hiab arm. One thing also to consider if you are going to go to this effort is have the engine resprayed when it is out I am glad I did this.