Performance of Trusty T28 with Yanmar 4JH4-HTE 110hp diesel engine

pstockbridge

Visit site
I'm potentially interested in purchasing a Trusty T28 but I cannot find any information on the performance of the boat with a Yanmar 4JH4-HTE 110hp diesel engine. I will probably use it on the North Wales coast (with which I am very familiar from my yachting and previous power boat) and I am concerned that 110hp will be insufficient for the tides and sea conditions found there. Would be very grateful if anyone can give information!
Thanks!

Greg2

Visit site
Having only looked at a Trusty at a boatshow I can’t offer anything specific but with that size of boat and a 110hp engine only displacement speeds will be achievable. The hp required to reach hull speed is likely quite a bit less than 110 so I would think it will be able to punch a tide but passage planning might well be similar to your yachting days i.e. plan to go with the tide whenever you can.

pstockbridge

Visit site
Hi Greg, many thanks. That's what I thought. I really need much more power I think to handle the potential conditions off Conwy and Anglesey, so I'll hold on and try to find a boat with either the 220hp Yanmar (which all the review boats have had) or have a look for a decent Nimbus 320 or 335.

Thanks again, Paul.