Kicker Rod

G

I have a Southerley 105 which has a solid rod kicker and no topping lift. I have a roller furling main, and am fitting a new Easyreef system. The solid rod is virually unadjustable due to being on a short track, but having no pulley arrangement! I want to upgrade this to a new system, and for simplicity have been looking at the gas-filled kicker struts, etc.

Does anyone know whether the cheaper GRP boomstruts are okay, or should I spend the extra £200-300 and buy the proper gas-filled one, bearing in mind that it is a roller main, and the strut must hold the boom up when in harbour?

Thanks

Martin

G

I fitted a sprung rod kicker, it works fine in so much that it holds boom up for reefing etc, but with the sail down it allows the boom to bounce around all over the place. So much so I'm putting the topping lift back on so that I can tension the boom against the main sheet and hence hold it steady.

Hopefully the gas ones are less prone to this behaviour.

G

My Konsort (and others) has a short wire strop that goes from the backstay to the end of the boom. When in harbour, this is connected and the Selden boom vang tightened.

No bounce.

G

Topping lift is the traditional and best answer of course. BUt you can also help the kicker by :

Boom crutch fitted so that boom rests in and is strapped down. Lash boom end back to backstay

But I would be inclined to go for the topping lift ... it also allows for lifting boom right up out of the way etc. like 'scandalising main' etc., lifting engines out and no boom in the way etc. etc. etc.

Nearly forgot ..... I use the boom as a derrick sometimes ..... Mainsheets are the lifting purchase, topping lift holds the boom etc. Makes light work of so many lift-on / off jobs !!!

G

Thanks to you all for comments. I agree that the topping lift be the best answer, but unfortunately, whilst I have a tunring pulley and the top of the mast to to allow this to run down inside, I only have three openings at the foot of the mast, all of which are used. Therefore, would need to rig turning block at top and run topping lift down the outside - not ideal, but do-able. I may go for the option suggested by David initially and see how I get on. Was planning to add a strop anyway to stop boom swing when at anchor (currently use a length of bungee!).

Martin

G

Most topping lifts are external and of lighter rope, generally 6-8mm. External because of the lighter size and generally wearing out at the top over the block. It is far easier to replace that way.

If you want to use the boom to lift some real heavy weights ..... use the main halyard in place of the topping lift.

Anyway, good luck.

G

If you want to use the spare head sheeve and in Mast rig, you can carefully drill a slot vertically 2 to 3 inches long in the mast side about 4 feet from the deck and feed the topping lift down the mast and out of the slot to lead the topping lift to a turning block secured to eyebolt on the deck near the base of the mast. many racing boatts use this system for halyards especially the spinnaker (allows rapid hoist by pumping the halyard at the mast).