Kas Turkey

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks Mac
Hope your enjoying Greece , Turkey we finding is a nice change . We not sure how Far East to the Syria boarder we will go but it would be nice to explore that bit of the coast

Borden

Visit site
Vic
I'm in Kas marina, (Setur). If you still want an answer let me know and I'll go to the marina office tomorrow and also down to the harbour for you to check prices. What's your length and beam just in case I'm asked. Also how many days.

affinite

Visit site
Along with a number of boats originally scheduled to do the (cancelled) EMYR rally weve spent the past 5 weeks doing a whistle stop run from Didim to Kumkuyu calling in at a lot of marinas (inc Kas) along the way.
As weve got further east so has the number of cruising boats dramatically reduced.
Kumkuyu was almost deserted as is Karpaz Gate on Cyprus (where are now)
The conflicts in the Middle East have effectively stopped cruising traffic to and from the Levant so if you are looking for peace and quiet, you are heading in the right direction.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic
I'm in Kas marina, (Setur). If you still want an answer let me know and I'll go to the marina office tomorrow and also down to the harbour for you to check prices. What's your length and beam just in case I'm asked. Also how many days.

Hi
We are anchored in the bay South of the town , we did take the dinghy in last night to take a look but the harbour was packed with gullets and three yacht squzzed in the middle , and we couldn't find anyone to ask , if you could ask the Marina that would be great Also is any one anchored in the bay by the Marina . It a long way by dinghy to the town here .
Oh while your at it , two bread and a pint of milk please haha

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Along with a number of boats originally scheduled to do the (cancelled) EMYR rally weve spent the past 5 weeks doing a whistle stop run from Didim to Kumkuyu calling in at a lot of marinas (inc Kas) along the way.
As weve got further east so has the number of cruising boats dramatically reduced.
Kumkuyu was almost deserted as is Karpaz Gate on Cyprus (where are now)
The conflicts in the Middle East have effectively stopped cruising traffic to and from the Levant so if you are looking for peace and quiet, you are heading in the right direction.

Thanks for that info , so far we can't complain even places like Marmaris and geock we found good places to anchor at times on our own , the only think we found that as spoil Turkey a bit for us is when some of the gullets decided to empty out when they leave the anchorage , you would thing by now they learn to want until there are out in the open . Other then that we are enjoying this new cruising ground it been a very long time since last time we visit Turkey over 13 years lots of charges .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic
Just PM you , not sure if you get it , this new site has lost me a bit

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
the only think we found that as spoil Turkey a bit for us is when some of the gullets decided to empty out when they leave the anchorage , you would thing by now they learn to want until there are out in the open .

They do exactly the same in Greece. We were anchored in O. Vathi on Pserimos a couple of nights ago. A Turkish gulet that anchored closer ashore for a swimming party was emptying as he passed us on the way out, no more than 100 metres from the beach. We were floating in sh*t for a few minutes. I assume the blue card scheme doesn't apply to them?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
They do exactly the same in Greece. We were anchored in O. Vathi on Pserimos a couple of nights ago. A Turkish gulet that anchored closer ashore for a swimming party was emptying as he passed us on the way out, no more than 100 metres from the beach. We were floating in sh*t for a few minutes. I assume the blue card scheme doesn't apply to them?
I am gob smacked why they do it , some have had 14 people on board , that a lot of sh@t . It really is time they clamped down on them , the other thing that has shocked us it some of the restaurants in the isolated bays seen to put all they rubbish in the corner of the bay I am big piles , we seen this a few time now , I guessing at some point some one comes out and takes it ways or they fire it up . You would had though it best to put it into one of the boats and move it every night , just encourages rats , what funny or not funny , when I took a bag ashore and was told to put where the rest was I decided to take it back to the boat and the guy insisted I left it and looked a bit shocked that I took it back , don't these people understand it does they business no good having rubbish and gullet emptying tank let alone the country side .

Borden

Visit site
Vic
Received your email. I'll go into the office in an hour or so and report back.
As for the anchorage at the end of the bay where the marina is. Last night three were two boats anchored but still lots of room. It's not so far into town if you dinghy ashore and walk up to the road, turn left and 5 minutes you're almost in the middle of town. . You don't need to go all the way around.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Vic
Received your email. I'll go into the office in an hour or so and report back.
As for the anchorage at the end of the bay where the marina is. Last night three were two boats anchored but still lots of room. It's not so far into town if you dinghy ashore and walk up to the road, turn left and 5 minutes you're almost in the middle of town. . You don't need to go all the way around.

Thanks I take a look later , by he way is there much swell there in the anchorages , which maybe another option , on the chart it looks a bit open to the W/ SW althought there is a bit of a bend in the bay that may stop some of it .

By the way , no rush to find out has we here in the bay to day ,

Last edited:

Borden

Visit site
Vic
No swell in the marina bay as there is good shelter from anything westerly due to a big lump of high land that protects the marina and the anchorage.
It can occasionally blow down from the mountains to the east but as there is no distance for the wind to fetch there is no swell. All in all a safe and comfortable anchorage in my opinion.

Borden

Visit site
Vyv
I'm guessing that your comment about the blue card not applying to gullets was meant in jest. All boats are supposed to comply but the gullets seem to ignore it. They are the worst offenders as the volume of muck that they expelll is way more than the average yacht.
Last week we were in Kekova Roads and decided to take a look in Woodhouse Bay, a beautiful anchorage but strangely deserted. When we motored in the reason became clear, lots of muck floating about in the water. I can't swear that it was a gullet but there was lots of it.
I've been told that there are regular helicopter patrols along the coast looking for pollution. I've seen it fly over here twice in seven weeks.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Vyv
I'm guessing that your comment about the blue card not applying to gullets was meant in jest. All boats are supposed to comply but the gullets seem to ignore it. They are the worst offenders as the volume of muck that they expelll is way more than the average yacht.
Last week we were in Kekova Roads and decided to take a look in Woodhouse Bay, a beautiful anchorage but strangely deserted. When we motored in the reason became clear, lots of muck floating about in the water. I can't swear that it was a gullet but there was lots of it.
I've been told that there are regular helicopter patrols along the coast looking for pollution. I've seen it fly over here twice in seven weeks.

Yes, I was not being serious. Although I don't sail in Turkey I take an interest and it was my understanding that the blue card scheme was largely introduced to prevent exactly the issues (!) that we are discussing. I find it difficult to understand how they can comply with my understanding of its workings.

Borden

Visit site
In principle I have no issues with the blue card system with respect to black water. In fact I believe it to be a good idea with the proviso that there must be sufficient infrastructure ashore to support it.
What amazes me is that the gullets seem to open their tanks as soon as they leave an anchorage, leaving their muck in their wake and polluting what is effectively a static piece of water. If they have no intention of using the shore based pump out facilities, as they should, then why not go well out to sea and dump it there, as was the practice pre blue cards.
When we were in Kekova roads, specifically Ucagiz, which is the base for numerous gullets, we asked where they pumped out. We were shown a very decrepit old road tanker lorry of the type you might find appearing to empty a septic tank. I have to assume that it was capable of movement and pumping but it did not look as if it had moved or pumped for a long time.

Wife of Lofticus

Visit site
While moored in Kaş harbour last year two gulets came in at the end of the day. They both pumped out via a connection under a manhole cover on the quay, presumably straight into the sewage system.

Squeaky

Visit site
Good afternoon:

It seems as time passes that many people forget the origin of the "Blue Card".

The Blue Card program was started five or six years ago by a bunch that I have labelled as "do gooders" from the Fethiye area who flexed their muscles and forced a very large catamaran which was permanently moored in one of the bays in the Fethiye Gulf to move. I have no idea of where it eventually went but I did later see it moored at the Albatros Marina in Marmaris for a while.

I, obviously, was not present but I have every reason to believe that having achieved this heady success one of the party realized how they were on to a nice little earner if they could put a system in place which forced all yachtsmen to buy a "Blue Card" which could be produced for pennies and sold for a nice profit and money could be made from providing "pump out boats" which were basically nothing but refitted clapped out old fishing boats with a new coat of paint.

They approached the Governor in Mugla who knew little or nothing about yachts and yachting and presented their plan. He sent them away to consult with others involved in the marine industry. After allowing a couple of weeks to pass they returned and told him that the plan was welcomed by harbour masters and marina managers and the new law was duly signed and announced.

Very few, if any, in the Marmaris area had ever heard of the plan until it became a "fait a compli". Along with several marina managers I was invited to take part in a radio and television program representing the yacht owners point of view discussing the effect of this new law where those behind it claimed they had invested over $250,000 in software and equipment all with the lofty plan to make the waters of the Mugla province sparkling clean for future generations. Who could possibly argue against such a noble program?

I have seen and met "snake oil" salesmen in the past and this pair certainly qualified, in my opinion, for this label. They brushed off any difficulty of fitting "black water" tanks to 20 and 30 old yachts by emphasizing the benefits to be achieved which would ensure that our descendants benefited from pristine seas - all very lofty and thrilling stuff . I have often wondered if they were experienced politicians as they had an answer for everything although without much substance to their arguments.

I forget the original cost of the Blue Cards when purchased though the marinas although I believe Yat Marina were charging something like 20 Euros or Lira for them while Netsel gave them away initially. In any event it appears that this "money making" scheme didn't produce the bonanza that was expected and implementation has slowly withered away as the originators seems to have wandered off chasing other "get rich" plans.

It seems most marinas are still insisting that yachtsmen purchase and have a "Blue Card" and it now seems to represent nothing more than another bit of bureaucracy.

Of course, laws such as this will remain on the books for many years to come as no one will even remember when and how it originated but will not have the nerve to suggest it be repealed - it hopefully will become just another law that is not enforced unless there is a flagrant abuse.

It seems that most of the yachtsmen now in Turkey do not know about or remember the days when most toilets were "squatters" with a pan of water next to it nor when yachtsmen coming to Turkey were advised to stock up on toilet paper as it was not readily available. Ah, the good old days!!!

Cheers

Squeaky

Previous thread - http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthrea...-of-the-Blue-Card&highlight=Blue+cards+Turkey

Last edited: