Just completed my first channel crossing!

Tranona

Visit site
Many moons ago, when on a Sadler 29 at the start of the day skipper course, it was my duty to navigate from Poole to Chapmans Pool. My only experience of sailing was a one weekend "introduction", a week crossing the channel doing the competant crew course, and shorebased comp crew and day skipper.

Below at the chart table after passing Peveril Ledge I had to rush up and feed the fish, the first and last time in 20 years!

We did manage to anchor safely in Chapmans Pool, and whilst relaxing with coffee and biscuits were treated to the sight of the training yacht "Helen Mary R" coming into the pool, to anchor too maybe?

This didn't go well though, as she came to an abrut stop.... having either found a large rock, or the sea floor.

After much rushing around on her deck, she eventually managed to turn round and headed for the open sea, and perhaps a nicer place.
There is a ledge right in the middle that rise about 3m. soundings of around 2m at LW springs. Other dodgy area is the north western edge as many have found out over the years.

Rustyknight

Visit site
There is a ledge right in the middle that rise about 3m. soundings of around 2m at LW springs. Other dodgy area is the north western edge as many have found out over the years.
That ledge is probably what they found then. Ooops indeed on their part. :oops:

FairweatherDave

Visit site
That ledge is probably what they found then. Ooops indeed on their part. :oops:
Just seen it on Navionics, a luxury I expect that boat didn't have then. My dependency on Navionics enabled a great motor up to Dandy hole at low tide today. Also looked at my Mark Fishwick which suggests nearly 5 miles off St. Albans Head, I thought I had got it from somewhere.

dukeofted

Visit site
I had an unexpected rough passage through St Aldhelms a few years ago. Wind was supposed to be F4 NW and I left from Studland to have the tide with me towards Weymouth. As the danger area was active I plotted a course a good 4+ miles offshore. When I rounded the corner I was met with a F5/6 W and some pretty unpleasant wave conditions. I'm too stupid to turn around but I did end up running inshore through the danger zone as I was concerned by the pounding the boat was taking. Turns out I was being a wuss as the boat is far stronger than me. Only other boats out were the range boats and a much bigger training yacht.

The waves always look much smaller on video but here they are anyway. Definitely overcanvassed but I didn't fancy going forward to reef the main on my own and the power was helping to punch through the waves. I love my old Trapper 28, my new Centaur would never be able to make progress to windward like that without the engine screaming away, although I would have been a lot dryer!