Jimi's boat: England v Scotland II

tcm

Visit site
Jimi\'s boat: England v Scotland II

I owe jimi a fiver. BUT their is a chance that I can retrieve the situation by beating him in a yacht race from vaguely newtown creek to vaguley hamble. I believe our charter heap will be a bavaria. But what sort of boat will jimi have? And any tips on racing? So what sort of huge handicap should he have, bearing in mind I am complete rubbish at ragging whereas he is skilled YM? Should he give us say ten minutes start? I would of course like to win fair and square, but need to know vague rules.

However, if it comes to it, SWMBO and I are quite good at "chicken fights" so perhaps we could simply drive into him a bit, especially since the boat only stands us 500quid deposit - a small price to pay for winning a fiver off a Scot.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
Re: Jimi\'s boat: England v Scotland II

Well I'll have a Bennie 331, but the sails are shot to pieces with all the sailing I've been doing and I've spent all my money on bribes so I can't afford to replace them, the underwater profile has also been radically altered due to recent groundings and I will of course be in charge of cooking whilst the family sail it. Its also full of all sorts of toys and booze so its really heavy, you'r Bavaria (fine vessel) will probably have a longer waterline and new sails so I think you should start at Yarmouth and I sould start at Newton .. fair enuff?

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site

We could expand this a tad. What about the Loyal Sons and Daughters of Bruce and Wallace form a crew and take on the Sons and Daughters of English Jessie Morris Dancers?

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site

No! The bavaria is acknowledged floating caravan and mine will have lots of cruddy weed on by May. Whereas the Beneteau is a race-bred onedesign special from the keenest of yachting nations. Also ,you acknowledged expert in home waters with the added advantage that most boats will by now have seen your close quarter manouevres at sea and give you lots of room. So you should give us ten minutes start.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

I do have a cruising chute with the insignia of a well known Solent yacht charterer on it .. does tend to give me a bit more room ! but I need it as I'm not used to going fast whereas you are!

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

Hm. I am pretty sure there's no cruising chute on our boat. I will have to hope for a raging northerly gale. First protest - it is an obvious massive lie that jimi (or any skip) will wash dishes whilst involved in a race.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

ah but, we'll have a french exchange student on board. I am secretly hoping he is an expert madcap sailor, but seeing as he comes from Tours and is 14 i spect not...

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

There could be some mileage in this, perhaps the women and children could get a lift back to the Hamble on a stinkie before the battle commences?

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site

Och we'll have him, auld alliance and all that!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Re: Oh God

Aaahh well ........ a fiver on Jim? I'll donate it to the local RNLI as you must have bought the Fleetwood boat by now !

<hr width=100% size=1>

claymore

Visit site

Para's on fer this. Whit say we get Forbsie onside too - gie us a wee peek intae the mindworkin's of a stinkie? Cuid be jes ra' man when yin TCM gits tae pullin a few o' they motorboatie stunts - rubbers o' bridge at 30knots an a' that.

<hr width=100% size=1>regards
Claymore
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Forbsie

Visit site

FIVE POONDS!!! We used to last a whole year in Aberdeen with that. I can manage a Shilling, all nice and shiny. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

BrendanS

Visit site

team event - Celts vs English. Lots of stinkies there to 'accidentally' get in the way by not understanding rules of road. No such thing as a fair race when national pride involved <g>

Come to think of it, there's enough massed horsepower to get both boats planning under tow

<hr width=100% size=1>

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com

All racing rules very vague, especially when a fiver, or more importantly St Georges honour is at stake.

Have seen the true colour of these Celts whilst watching the Rugby at Peelyweely SC, never knew it was such a cosmopolitan place, there are more indigineous Irish, French, Italian and Scots there than locals.

So TCM, your countries honour is on the line not just a fiver (although you are doing quite well if you owe him a fiver at present and are still breathing).

1 No point getting ten minute start, not enough. ignore jimis protestations about sails, downwind they are twice as effective and will only be half as knackered as your charter ones.
2 Hoist protest flag the minute the gun goes, seems to work for AM boats. Any reason will do,
3 Get very loud ghetto blaster to a) keep kids happy b) drown out sound of engine when motor sailing upwind (downwind your extremely fat arsed bav might have a chance!)
4 Put water secretly into Jimis tank to stop him motorsailing, no risk as he is big shouldered YM and can sail on poles alone.
5 Put in personal call to coastguard/rnli and explain that any smoke flares seen at about start time and location are just part of a training excercise, however could you have some flash heli support, then guide heli chopper pilot to blow jimi away from course.

Good luck, you'll need it:))

David_e Rumsfeld

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site

Ooh this looks excellent stuff. I note that there is no limit to how close I can go to his boat, so I assume it is a full contact sport after all.

<hr width=100% size=1>