Ive got 2 problems

dougg

Visit site
Hi Ive got 2 problems and there both up the mast.

The first is i had leds put in the anchor and tri light before leaving the uk 3 weeks ago now they dont work. There is a feed to them when turned on, at the base of the mast.

The second is my wind instruments dont function at all now. Is there a conection at the top of the mast for this or is the cable bonded to the transducer assembly.

Ive never been to the top of the mast before and dont really know what im looking for other than grubby connections.

we will be in Gib mid to end of may. can anyone shed any light on these issues or point me in the right direction of someone in Gib to assist me.

Thanks.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Just one thought, having just fixed my own wind instrument!

Are you sure the contacts in the plug at the bottom of the mast are OK? Mine weren't, and a quick spray with Maplins contact cleaner and a rub with some tissue paper sorted the problem out.

I don't think you'll find much fixable in the wind instrument at the masthead; everything up there will probably be sealed.

Zen Zero

Boat:Syvota, Epirus, Greece. Me:Rome, Italy
Visit site
Is there anything up your mast that does work? Did they all stop working at once or have you been accumulating these problems over time?

Without going up the mast you can start by checking the wires and switches at the bottom of the mast with a multimeter for continuity.

Seajet

Visit site
I agree the masthead wind unit is likely to be sealed.

Also, do be careful if not used to going up the mast, make very sure you have someone experienced to deal with any winches at deck level.

Better still, get a couple of people experienced at it, hopefully one can go and look - may even be able to take shots with a handy camera for you - and fix anything fixable, while you get to observe the methods used.

Going up masts really is as dangerous as it feels, not something to take on casually.

The wind data is, on 99% of boats, a 'nice to have' rather than necessity, while lights can at a pinch be hoisted up aloft, or shone from below.

If the boat and dock / berth facilities suit, it may be better to lower the mast ; try 'VO5' of these forums, he knows what's available - and quite possibly handy helpers I should think - around Gib'.

dougg

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The reason for waiting till we get to gib is exactly as you say i want someone experienced on the winch, not the wife!!!

If im to replace the mast head unit will any one do or do i need the same type? will there be any markings on it?

Seajet

Visit site
Dougg,

I'm sure each make will need it's own masthead unit; the makers getting together and making a standard unit would be far too sensible and helpful...

If it should be a NASA wind unit, have a look at the various threads on here, and don't waste your efforts & money !

Then again I've seen posts from people with kit I'd call pretty expensive, just as disappointed though maybe not quite so quickly; I long since gave up on masthead wind kit, I can tell the direction from wool telltales on the shrouds ( a Windex if in deep locks etc ) and the windspeed is easily judged by how frightened I am :) .

Visit site
Thanks for the advice. The reason for waiting till we get to gib is exactly as you say i want someone experienced on the winch, not the wife!!!

If im to replace the mast head unit will any one do or do i need the same type? will there be any markings on it?

Do what I have done in the past and hoist up the wife. She's likely lighter and weaker than you.

Norman_E

Visit site
I don't know if all makes are similar but my masthead wind unit has a mast top plug and socket connector to its cable. The plug and socket are pushed together and secured with a screwed collar. As belt and braces precaution against water or dirt ingress they are then wrapped with self amalgamating tape or electricians tape. When you go up take a knife as you may have to cut away tape to undo the joint. My VDO made unit is held into its base by a viciously powerful spring clip, and I was glad I had pliers with me when I went up to remove it.

Seajet

Visit site
Dougg,

please excuse me but I hope you agree it's worth mentioning, 'Safety Harnesses' for climbing up mountains & masts, are very different from sailing safety harnesses which would let one fall out !!!

There are 'Bosuns' Chair's, which also give the option of falling out but are comfortable for long periods of work if used to this sort of thing, and apart from climbing harnesses there are a few yacht riggers' harnesses, I'm pretty sure Spinlock do them for a start, but have your cheque book handy - worth it compared to a broken neck / back !

Sure you knew, just had to mention...

Good luck with your repairs.

trapezeartist

www.littlehotels.co.uk
If you need someone in Gib to go up your mast, ask for "Ginge". I can't remember how we contacted him, so I'd suggest asking in the Marina Bay marina office or at Shepherds. He's well-known to everyone there and came out to us within about an hour of the phone call. Friendly, helpful, knowedgeable. Actually, you'll probably get "Young Ginge", who is the second-generation ginger rigger.

dougg

Visit site
Dougg,

please excuse me but I hope you agree it's worth mentioning, 'Safety Harnesses' for climbing up mountains & masts, are very different from sailing safety harnesses which would let one fall out !!!

There are 'Bosuns' Chair's, which also give the option of falling out but are comfortable for long periods of work if used to this sort of thing, and apart from climbing harnesses there are a few yacht riggers' harnesses, I'm pretty sure Spinlock do them for a start, but have your cheque book handy - worth it compared to a broken neck / back !

Sure you knew, just had to mention...

Good luck with your repairs.

If push comes to shove I was going to use a climbing harness attached to the spin halyard, sit in the bosuns chair attached to the topping lift and get a couple of people to keep me safe!!

But i like the sound of the ginger rigger in Gib better.

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
If you are going up yourself, don't forget to tie your tools on with lanyards or you will be repairing a hole in the deck (or the crew). It worth taking a line up with you so you can haul forgotten stuff up in a bucket - anything to avoid having to climb up again!

Rob.

VO5

Visit site

The first is i had leds put in the anchor and tri light before leaving the uk 3 weeks ago now they dont work. There is a feed to them when turned on, at the base of the mast.

The second is my wind instruments dont function at all now. Is there a conection at the top of the mast for this or is the cable bonded to the transducer assembly.

Ive never been to the top of the mast before and dont really know what im looking for other than grubby connections.

we will be in Gib mid to end of may. can anyone shed any light on these issues or point me in the right direction of someone in Gib to assist me.

Thanks.

I have been asked by PM to intervene here to help you.

Only yesterday in Main Street I bumped into an old friend who is a yacht leccy. His name is Johnny Piris. I will look him up after the weekend and report back to you, how's that ?

fergie_mac66

Visit site

Thanks.

make absolutely certain that all feeds and returns at the bottom of the mast are working correctly and that all the connections to the cables in the mast are all good ,But you will have done that I know !

chewi

Visit site
If push comes to shove I was going to use a climbing harness attached to the spin halyard, sit in the bosuns chair attached to the topping lift .

Beware that either of those might depend on a small masthead block dangling on a small swivel whose strength & condition you do not know. Failure of either will have you on the deck in a second or two.

Better to use a halyard that goes over a masthead internal sheave, perhap the main or genoa halyards. if they fail, (and its less likely) you wont drop too far.

Seajet

Visit site
Beware that either of those might depend on a small masthead block dangling on a small swivel whose strength & condition you do not know. Failure of either will have you on the deck in a second or two.

Better to use a halyard that goes over a masthead internal sheave, perhap the main or genoa halyards. if they fail, (and its less likely) you wont drop too far.

Not quite sure I get this; what's to stop descending all the way, the anti-collapse tubes inside the spreaders ?

That would be far enough to cause serious deck interface problems I'd think, though I certainly agree everything possible should be done to check the state of any sheaves etc, binoculars may be an aid in this but the golden rule has to be, if in the slightest doubt, a broken back / neck / death is too high a price to pay for what is actually just a bit of an inconvenience...