Inverters

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
We needed to change our battery charger a few years ago and at the time had a small 300 watt inverter for running small laptops etc. decided to upgrade to victron multiplus 1600w inverter charger, use it now for microwave and small kettle, just also got a small induction hob. SWMBO spends more time on the boat now as she finds doing stuff easier. Still have gas as option though
We're similar: 1kW inverter, 200Ah LiFePO4, 750W kettle and 2kW IKEA induction hob (not used above 4). Works for us with 3:1 ratio of anchor to marina with leccy.

Hopefully, we'll soon have a proper solar setup too!

PS gas is a pita when you have no home country 😬

Gustywinds

Visit site
2kW IKEA induction hob
This one? TILLREDA portable induction hob, 1 zone white - IKEA

Our boat has a Wallas diesel oven and hob but the wife doesnt really like it and we hardly ever actually use the oven. Thinking of replacing the oven with a microwave/combi and the hob with induction. A two ring one would look much neater but the lowest power one I could find was 2800W so we'd need to be careful with using it (inverter is nominally 2000w but it seems to have a reasonably high margin or the management system opes as we've had kettle and hairdryer on simultaneously without problems)

I agree , gas is a pain and don't want to go to that.

noelex

Visit site
Electric cooking is great, but before people ditch the propane completely they should make sure they have done the sums regarding where the replacement energy is going to come from.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Electric cooking is great, but before people ditch the propane completely they should make sure they have done the sums regarding where the replacement energy is going to come from.
Min has never had propane, uts had the Wallas since new but the time it takes to heat up or vary heat is a pain. Its very difficult to simmer anything gently.

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
I'd be interested in how you do that.

I have a tiny device that I plug into my cigar lighter then a 13 amp AC plug into that, which then gets changed back to DC to charge the laptop.
It looks like a 13 amp charge cable, but with a cigar lighter ‘banana,’ instead of a 3 pin plug, and a smaller ‘black box.’ Which takes the 12v DC down to (I think) 4.5v DC.(Which has got to be more energy efficient, as well as much cheaper, than converting 12v DC to 240v AC, with an inverter, and then to 4.5v DC with an adaptor.)
Had the 12v charger a few years now. Think I got it on Amazon. Will see if I can extend the time covered on the ‘buy again’ list and edit in a link to it.
Just tried uploading a photo, off the phone, but ybw says ‘oops ran into a problem.’ (Might be marina wi-fi related)

EDIT: Here we go: not from Amazon atall. Looked like this, but with power ratings to suit an HP Pavillion. There are others around too. I went with the supplier (can't find exactly which it was) that put forward the most convincing explanation (to an electrical ignoramous, like me) that my lap top was not about to be fried!

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
It looks like a 13 amp charge cable, but with a cigar lighter ‘banana,’ instead of a 3 pin plug, and a smaller ‘black box.’ Which takes the 12v DC down to (I think) 4.5v DC.(Which has got to be more energy efficient, as well as much cheaper, than converting 12v DC to 240v AC, with an inverter, and then to 4.5v DC with an adaptor.)
Had the 12v charger a few years now. Think I got it on Amazon. Will see if I can extend the time covered on the ‘buy again’ list and edit in a link to it.
Just tried uploading a photo, off the phone, but ybw says ‘oops ran into a problem.’
I used to have one of those for charging my MacBook Air. Bought in Singapore, made in China with a knockoff MagSafe connectors. Not very powerful from memory

John_Silver

allatseawithstargazer.blogspot.com
Mine's made by that highly reputable brand 'JUYOON,' so probably a similar source. Cost twenty quid. So I thought 'worth a try.' Five or six years later its working well. And so are my two lap tops! Both of which are primarily used on board. Because I blog and photo edit, for the 6 months that I cruise each summer. At home the lap tops come out once a month for excel / accounts work. I use the tablet around the house (which is kept hooked into the nav wi-fi, whilst I'm sailing). So the lap tops do most of their work off the 12v adaptor and seem none the worse for it. A typical charge, from 20% to 80% is 45 mins to an hour. Not having to ration lap top time has made a big difference to enjoyment, whilst on the hook. I do like my photography!

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
Mine's made by that highly reputable brand 'JUYOON,' so probably a similar source. Cost twenty quid. So I thought 'worth a try.' Five or six years later its working well. And so are my two lap tops! Both of which are primarily used on board. Because I blog and photo edit, for the 6 months that I cruise each summer. At home the lap tops come out once a month for excel / accounts work. I use the tablet around the house (which is kept hooked into the nav wi-fi, whilst I'm sailing). So the lap tops do most of their work off the 12v adaptor and seem none the worse for it. A typical charge, from 20% to 80% is 45 mins to an hour. Not having to ration lap top time has made a big difference to enjoyment, whilst on the hook. I do like my photography!
I had a bunch of USB-C Charger ports installed during my upgrade so I can charge things without wall-warts everywhere on the boat, ebven going to the extent of having an IP68 one on the back deck

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
As you ask for personal experiences. I have a 2000W pure sinus inverter, hardly ever used. Most useful was in Brazil as they have 60Hz 230v AC and my Sailrite machine motor could not cope, so I used the inverter. Oh we (wife) also powered the yoghurt maker. Over here, just switched on for the occasional guest having a 230v AC only appliance while we are cruising.
Oddily maybe WRT other posters, but I never had problems in finding butane anywhere (ok, own filling), and I would never give up gas for cooking, but that's an idiosincracy :)

Daverw

Visit site
This one? TILLREDA portable induction hob, 1 zone white - IKEA

Our boat has a Wallas diesel oven and hob but the wife doesnt really like it and we hardly ever actually use the oven. Thinking of replacing the oven with a microwave/combi and the hob with induction. A two ring one would look much neater but the lowest power one I could find was 2800W so we'd need to be careful with using it (inverter is nominally 2000w but it seems to have a reasonably high margin or the management system opes as we've had kettle and hairdryer on simultaneously without problems)

I agree , gas is a pain and don't want to go to that.
One thing we found out when looking at microwaves is that flat bed ones us3 less power than turntable ones, the reason apparently is that flat bed have the microwave gun underneath closer to the food rather than at the side turning the food past it. Also easier to clean and does not rattle when under way, we also have a twin 800 watt per ring induction hob which is more inverter friendly, designed for mobile / camping use and a bit smaller than home use ones

harvey38

Visit site
3kw inverter used in conjunction with 6 x 110A SLA batteries. We have no gas so rely on 240v to keep the domestic refrigerator and wine cooler running plus the coffee machine and boiling the odd kettle.

Each engine and the 2.5kva genset have there own, dedicated start batteries.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
As you ask for personal experiences. I have a 2000W pure sinus inverter, hardly ever used. Most useful was in Brazil as they have 60Hz 230v AC and my Sailrite machine motor could not cope, so I used the inverter. Oh we (wife) also powered the yoghurt maker. Over here, just switched on for the occasional guest having a 230v AC only appliance while we are cruising.
Oddily maybe WRT other posters, but I never had problems in finding butane anywhere (ok, own filling), and I would never give up gas for cooking, but that's an idiosincracy :)
It's not that we don't like gas; it's the complications (size, storage , buying bottles, return of, transport etc) of different bottles and regulators in different places.

dgadee

Visit site
2kw runs my 1hp water maker pump, batteries charged by engine when running. Used to get the Honda generator out which was an awful hassle.

The hairdryer! Not for my hair.

Gustywinds

Visit site
One thing we found out when looking at microwaves is that flat bed ones us3 less power than turntable ones, the reason apparently is that flat bed have the microwave gun underneath closer to the food rather than at the side turning the food past it. Also easier to clean and does not rattle when under way, we also have a twin 800 watt per ring induction hob which is more inverter friendly, designed for mobile / camping use and a bit smaller than home use ones
Yes, I was aware of the turntable thing and have found one suitable. What brand is your hob?

geem

Visit site
2kw runs my 1hp water maker pump, batteries charged by engine when running. Used to get the Honda generator out which was an awful hassle.

The hairdryer! Not for my hair.
My lithium runs my 1.5kw/2hp watermaker via a 3kw inverter. We can also run it from the 5kVA genset but not often needed.
We did a 7 day trip from the Azores to Ireland and ran autopilot, nav light,instruments, two fridges, in generally poor sunlight from 800w of solar all from lithium batteries. No other charging. Lithium and solar is amazing

dgadee

Visit site
My lithium runs my 1.5kw/2hp watermaker via a 3kw inverter. We can also run it from the 5kVA genset but not often needed.
We did a 7 day trip from the Azores to Ireland and ran autopilot, nav light,instruments, two fridges, in generally poor sunlight from 800w of solar all from lithium batteries. No other charging. Lithium and solar is amazing
You need space for 800w! I have 250w.