Independence | Upadates & Cruising

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I know this has been said before and you have answered but this is such a capable sea boat it seems such a shame having her on the Norfolk broads where the various bridges will restrict where you can go.

I live in Suffolk and have gone on the broads several times over the years. 5 days can get them all done.

Dennis

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I know this has been said before and you have answered but this is such a capable sea boat it seems such a shame having her on the Norfolk broads where the various bridges will restrict where you can go.

I live in Suffolk and have gone on the broads several times over the years. 5 days can get them all done.

Dennis

Particularly when the OP already has a Broads boat!

Anyhow, video was a good watch (it was all going so well up until then) and I am looking forward to the next installment!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Particularly when the OP already has a Broads boat!

Anyhow, video was a good watch (it was all going so well up until then) and I am looking forward to the next installment!

Some Serious Nav gear on board also just for the broads :)

Dennis

Greg2

Visit site
As I have said a couple of times there are lots of seagoing boats on the southern Broads (including our previous boats) and cruising the rivers is perfectly doable and there are two ways of accessing the sea easily for coastal cruising. It seems that the common perception of the Broads isn’t necessarily accurate. Just saying :)

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Might I just confirm that my comments were not intended to cause offence they were just observations about what is a very lovely boat.

I actually surprised myself and watched all the video through

Dennis

londonrascal

Visit site
Apparently his nav gear upgrade was shelved after the company that was going to do it refused to work with him

They did not refuse to work with me though. I got one very well with the guy and spent a couple of hours with him on the boat, however when I asked them to deal with close on £40,000 worth of equipment to source and install they did not come back with a quote and since they outsource a lot of their work to third party 'sub-contractors' and added to the fact some of the items I had specified were not off the shelf and readily available items or commonly dealt with, I can only assume they felt if anything went wrong, or they hit a snag or were not able to complete the working the time frame it would cause more issues than it was worth. This work now will take place in Norfolk and likely with Norfolk Yacht Agency taking on the works.

I know this has been said before and you have answered but this is such a capable sea boat it seems such a shame having her on the Norfolk broads where the various bridges will restrict where you can go. I live in Suffolk and have gone on the broads several times over the years. 5 days can get them all done.

Well it may be seen as a shame by some to have the boat based where it is, but for me it makes perfect sense. In due time I will be moving to Norfolk, so it means it will be easier to get to and as I have shown in order to get the boat there to begin I can in fact cruise the rivers of the southern Broads. In fact I think later in the year a Trader 535 Signature will come to the rivers so Independence won't be the only one there. As has also been said I have the use of a 'Broads boat' when I wish in Stalham so as I say it all works out pretty well for me and once the items that need attending to have been I will be taking my first trip - even if it is to the Surlingham Ferry Pub and back...

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Might I ask though why you need anything like £40,000 of Nav gear for the broads. ?

I'm sure that Robin will confirm that he doesn't need that gear but if he likes gadgets and that's what he wants to spend his money on then that's up to him. But Robin must also accept that people are perfectly entitled to ask the question and further comment on the reasons given. That's what forums are all about. If you don't want that kind of interaction then stick to blogs and turn comments off.

londonrascal

Visit site
Might I ask though why you need anything like £40,000 of Nav gear for the broads. ?

Of course you may. I spent many many months looking at all sorts of boats on the market before I made my purchase and continue to look at Brokers now to keep tabs on what is what and how the market and prices seems to be going. Something I notice time and again though is regardless of boat if it was built, for example in 2005, then the equipment that was provided then will still be what is in place today. Owners tend to add the odd thing here and there, maybe a new VHF set but it is rare to find a boat for sale which has had a comprehensive update of all the electronics since build.

The equipment on Independence is a mish-mash. The first owner had some pretty high end and fancy stuff for the period and this was Simrad. When he sold the boat he took the Plotter and some other bits, and the new owner then bought Raymarine equipment. This is now incredibly out dated, slow and cumbersome to use compared to what is available now so by removing all the legacy gear and going with one manufacture and updating it with the latest equipment this will make the boat more desirable to a future prospect purchaser. It is also cool to have new tech I think.

Now that is not about maintaining a better overall value compared to other Traders of the same build year and condition, but it is the 'stand out' items that would make the boat easier to sell because she would be the only one which had undergone such a big upgrade to these items.

londonrascal

Visit site
But Robin must also accept that people are perfectly entitled to ask the question and further comment on the reasons given. That's what forums are all about. If you don't want that kind of interaction then stick to blogs and turn comments off.

I do not mind people asking things, commented on the reasons I may give because that is what makes a vibrant community. However, generally I do only post about things I am doing. I guess it all comes down to how one might word a post. I could come here and say:

"I am having a new suite of navigation aids from Simrad put in"

That is more a statement, but to which people may well comment upon. It may also be seen as a bit impolite because it is a matter of fact point that leaves little room for discussion to take place around.

Someone else might choose to ask a question such as:

"I am considering updating my navigation aids. Does anyone have any ideas on the best package or manufacture to go with?"

Now this is far more open and causes people to see it as an 'open door' to discussion and may very well share there feelings and personal experiences with new equipment they have had installed. But what I am doing is not saying I do not want to hear what anyone has to say but more that I will have already decided upon things long before I might post here and be headed off in that direction - even if it proves to be the wrong one down the road.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Of course you may. I spent many many months looking at all sorts of boats on the market before I made my purchase and continue to look at Brokers now to keep tabs on what is what and how the market and prices seems to be going. Something I notice time and again though is regardless of boat if it was built, for example in 2005, then the equipment that was provided then will still be what is in place today. Owners tend to add the odd thing here and there, maybe a new VHF set but it is rare to find a boat for sale which has had a comprehensive update of all the electronics since build.

The equipment on Independence is a mish-mash. The first owner had some pretty high end and fancy stuff for the period and this was Simrad. When he sold the boat he took the Plotter and some other bits, and the new owner then bought Raymarine equipment. This is now incredibly out dated, slow and cumbersome to use compared to what is available now so by removing all the legacy gear and going with one manufacture and updating it with the latest equipment this will make the boat more desirable to a future prospect purchaser. It is also cool to have new tech I think.

Now that is not about maintaining a better overall value compared to other Traders of the same build year and condition, but it is the 'stand out' items that would make the boat easier to sell because she would be the only one which had undergone such a big upgrade to these items.

But £40,000 ! one hack of a lot of money and by the time you come to sell it what you have added may well be out of date given the speed that electronics move on

Piers

www.playdeau.com
£40,000? I spent that and a bit more in 2013

Furuno 2117 commercial radar with 6' scanner (Black box): NN3D chart plotter (Black box); 5 x Hatteland glass screens; 2 x Icom VHFs; 4 x camera; FLIR M-625XP thermal camera c/w 2 x controllers; Digital Yacht wi-fi booster; Airmar transducer; Garmin standby GPS; various 24v-12v droppers and 24v smoothers; Aerials; AIS; Simrad AP70 Autopilot and hydraulic pump; 4 x B&G Triton T41 displays; Furuno PG500 fluxgate compass; Furuno Satellite ST50 compass; Echomax active radar reflector; Wind transducer - and that's not all! A bit crazy? Maybe, but I use it all.

Oh, and I had to have a pony ,mast fabricated to take it all!

nicho

Visit site
£40,000? I spent that and a bit more in 2013

Furuno 2117 commercial radar with 6' scanner (Black box): NN3D chart plotter (Black box); 5 x Hatteland glass screens; 2 x Icom VHFs; 4 x camera; FLIR M-625XP thermal camera c/w 2 x controllers; Digital Yacht wi-fi booster; Airmar transducer; Garmin standby GPS; various 24v-12v droppers and 24v smoothers; Aerials; AIS; Simrad AP70 Autopilot and hydraulic pump; 4 x B&G Triton T41 displays; Furuno PG500 fluxgate compass; Furuno Satellite ST50 compass; Echomax active radar reflector; Wind transducer - and that's not all! A bit crazy? Maybe, but I use it all.

Oh, and I had to have a pony ,mast fabricated to take it all!

Well, that's given Robin some ideas!