I was told off today

RupertW

Visit site
I would have thought not very far before it's cool but it would be a good experiment for PBO to do

But it doesn't have to be hot to sink into gel coat - my worst rust staining on gel coat was when polishing some very rust stanchion posts with wire wool (idiot, idiot, idiot). None of the wire wool strands were hot but they all melted into the gel coat before I spotted them the next morning and the stains were way into the gel coat and couldn't be T-cut out. It needed a lot of goes of acid cleaner before they finally faded. Add iron/steel tiny fragments plus moisture to gel coat and let it sink right in.

Poignard

Visit site
But it doesn't have to be hot to sink into gel coat - my worst rust staining on gel coat was when polishing some very rust stanchion posts with wire wool (idiot, idiot, idiot). None of the wire wool strands were hot but they all melted into the gel coat before I spotted them the next morning and the stains were way into the gel coat and couldn't be T-cut out. It needed a lot of goes of acid cleaner before they finally faded. Add iron/steel tiny fragments plus moisture to gel coat and let it sink right in.

I hacksawed through an anchor shackle on board and, despite putting newspaper down, there were numerous rust spots on the deck next time I visited the boat.

RupertW

Visit site
I hacksawed through an anchor shackle on board and, despite putting newspaper down, there were numerous rust spots on the deck next time I visited the boat.

I remain an idiot on this topic - despite all my previous experience I still hacksawed my way through 3 of 6 bolts in the cockpit last Spring before realising and going back into the cabin to do it. I had come of out the cabin so I didn't make a mess that I'd need to hoover.

johnalison

Visit site
I remain an idiot on this topic - despite all my previous experience I still hacksawed my way through 3 of 6 bolts in the cockpit last Spring before realising and going back into the cabin to do it. I had come of out the cabin so I didn't make a mess that I'd need to hoover.

I have also learned from experience, fortunately on previous boats, but it wasn't until this thread that I realised that it could happen with stainless steel as well. I have seen people use stainless wire wool in order to avoid this problem. Maybe the resultant particle sizes are large enough not to create a stain.

rotrax

Visit site

Brass wool-easily obtained from ebay.

Skylark

Visit site
9 pages about getting marks on boats???????????? Seems sad somehow.

I see it as a reflection of the health of recreational sailing.

It shows that there’s a lot of experienced people on these forums. There’s been a good exchange of views and opinions and some have expressed that they have learned something as a result. No one has been confrontational, unlike many threads.

Hardly surprising, some people take care of their boats with pride, others less so.

No right, no wrong, just lighthearted banter. What’s sad about that.

Poignard

Visit site
I see it as a reflection of the health of recreational sailing.

It shows that there’s a lot of experienced people on these forums. There’s been a good exchange of views and opinions and some have expressed that they have learned something as a result. No one has been confrontational, unlike many threads.

Hardly surprising, some people take care of their boats with pride, others less so.

No right, no wrong, just lighthearted banter. What’s sad about that.

Well said!

oldgit

Visit site
These aren’t boats. These are jewels!
Not my sort of boating at all.

My boat is merely a floating pile of congealed petro chemicials its sole purpose is to get me as far away from the madding crowd as cheaply as possible, hopefully with a few friends.
If it sank tomorrow my first phone call would be to the insurance company and the second to the nearest broker, with the vain hope not to buy such an obvious money pit this time round .

Reserve the right to damage my boat in any way am capable of, but to try and ask others not to. :).