I was told off today

greeny

Visit site
Can't agree with you or the original poster. If you were to damage my boat or car or any other of my property i would consider you liable to cover cost of any repair or remedial work. I think most people would agree with me. Are you by chance one of those people who would damage someone's car in a car park and then drive off without leaving contact details? If you are then you are the one who should not be allowed a car to drive.
---

One poster said that if you couldn't aboard to lose it, break it, or bleed, you shouldn't have a boat. I say it's like driving a car; if you can't handle a few shopping cart dingy or rocks thrown by tires, you should walk. Really. If a car throws a rock or blows a tire, it's a road hazard, get over it. Sailing has road hazards, and to some extent, this is one of those. I say this is real life and if stains bug you, don't have a boat Are we men or are we girls?[/QUOTE]

mainsail1

Visit site
Well, we all make mistakes. And this seems a genuine mistake.
Where has good old "give and take" gone? If my boat had received some of these steel filings I would just get on with fixing any problem myself. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

RupertW

Visit site
Well, we all make mistakes. And this seems a genuine mistake.
Where has good old "give and take" gone? If my boat had received some of these steel filings I would just get on with fixing any problem myself. Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill!

Have you actually had filings land on your deck? I have twice and self inflicted (I am obviously a slow learner). The first time I didn't notice until the next morning and by then rust spots had leaked into and stained the gel coat too deeply to be scoured off. The second time I spent ages keeping them dry and trying to vacuum them off. They are a total pain and if somebody else had done it days or weeks before I got back to the boat I would be very miffed indeed as removing the stains with oxalic acid does not always work on first go, or second.

But I wouldn't ( I hope ) be angry with the perpetrator if it was an honest mistake and a lack of understanding of the consequences, although by the time I'd got the adrenaline to talk to a stranger with an angle grinder my first couple of sentences would probably sound a bit tense.

greeny

Visit site
It took me nearly a year to get rid of the last lot I got in the boatyard. And, yes, boatyards are for doing work. but care should be taken when doing that work that you don't make more work for others and/or damage other boats.
Also companies who complete work in the yards, seem to think that supplying dust masks etc to their personnel is all they need to do. B******s to the people who are working nearby or who are staying on their boats. They don't matter.

Poignard

Visit site
If I take my car into a garage and it is damaged or dirtied by work being carried out on another car, I don't just shrug and say "Oh well, that's what you have to expect in garages" and let it go. Likewise with any other item of my property that is being stored or repaired in business premises.

So why should I be expected to put up with carelessness in a boatyard? Are boatyards and their customers some special kind of hallowed entities that we must never criticise or complain about?

We are fortunate in these days of strict H&S regimes that boatyards are still willing to allow us to work on our boats but if people don't act safely and responsibly I could see that coming to an end, and I don't want that.

All that's needed to avoid that is for people to be careful and considerate, and to think about what they're doing. Iif you're going to use an angle-grinder, rigging up a piece of tarpaulin costs very little time or money

Last edited:

chriss999

sailing-chinee.com
Interesting thread - and thanks to laundryman for starting it.
I learnt two things from it.
Firstly that angle grinding does need to be done carefully to prevent a nuisance or damage to boats.
Secondly a reminder of how glad I am that I generally keep well away from marina's where so many precious objects are stored.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Can't agree with you or the original poster. If you were to damage my boat or car or any other of my property i would consider you liable to cover cost of any repair or remedial work. I think most people would agree with me. Are you by chance one of those people who would damage someone's car in a car park and then drive off without leaving contact details? If you are then you are the one who should not be allowed a car to drive.
---

One poster said that if you couldn't aboard to lose it, break it, or bleed, you shouldn't have a boat. I say it's like driving a car; if you can't handle a few shopping cart dingy or rocks thrown by tires, you should walk. Really. If a car throws a rock or blows a tire, it's a road hazard, get over it. Sailing has road hazards, and to some extent, this is one of those. I say this is real life and if stains bug you, don't have a boat Are we men or are we girls?
[/QUOTE]

You take me willfully out of context. I compared it to the rock thrown from my tire. Yes, I would tell you that was part of driving.

I think the OP did not understand his action. Common enough. He does now. Enough said. I'm a forgive and forget kinna guy. I've taken minor hits in stop and go traffic and merely said "be more careful." There was minor damage, but so what? It's a car, not a ... well, I can't think of anything I own that I would worry much over a ding or smudge. Why add stress to the world? And yes, worrying about shopping cart dings is silly. Cars get bruises, life is short and I don't worry about them. If you are going to worry about them parking lots are going to be stressful for you. Marinas too. Mooring fields, for that matter.

No, I do not think I have ever done such so theorizing is pointless.

If I ride the train, do I expect an apology from every person that jostles me? I expect none. A waste of time. I don't assume discourtesy, I just accept that it was unnecessary and go on with my happy life.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site

You take me willfully out of context. I compared it to the rock thrown from my tire. Yes, I would tell you that was part of driving.

I think the OP did not understand his action. Common enough. He does now. Enough said. I'm a forgive and forget kinna guy. I've taken minor hits in stop and go traffic and merely said "be more careful." There was minor damage, but so what? It's a car, not a ... well, I can't think of anything I own that I would worry much over a ding or smudge. Why add stress to the world? And yes, worrying about shopping cart dings is silly. Cars get bruises, life is short and I don't worry about them. If you are going to worry about them parking lots are going to be stressful for you. Marinas too. Mooring fields, for that matter.

If I ride the train, do I expect an apology from every person that jostles me? I expect none. A waste of time. I don't assume discourtesy, I just accept that it was unnecessary and go on with my happy life.[/QUOTE]

Still do not agree with you.
That's my right as a person who cares about his own and other peoples belongings.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com

If I ride the train, do I expect an apology from every person that jostles me? I expect none. A waste of time. I don't assume discourtesy, I just accept that it was unnecessary and go on with my happy life.

Still do not agree with you.
That's my right as a person who cares about his own and other peoples belongings.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough.

Like religion and politics, we must remember that there are multiple value systems. We try to respect others, but in return, must maintain reasonable expectations. And "reasonable" is where it all gets complicated.

dom

Visit site
Like religion and politics, we must remember that there are multiple value systems. We try to respect others, but in return, must maintain reasonable expectations. And "reasonable" is where it all gets complicated.

All true and grand talk is good as it goes. But we mustn't forget that there is only one legal system per country and in the UK there is every likelihood that the OP will be found negligent if challenged. Which in turn opens him a claim(s) for damages.

If that happens - and it certainly might - the OP will have to involve hus insurance co. He may be wise to fully brief them the moment such a claim seems foreseeable.

Poignard

Visit site
Okay okay that’s enough. It was 2 pieces of 25mm tube. How many filings can that generate? I stand corrected,won’t do it again.. Marina confirms that all power tools except angle grinders are acceptable. I might stay now in the marina now.
Thanks everyone

Don't worry, we are planning to crowd fund your defence. :encouragement:

nortada

Visit site

If I ride the train, do I expect an apology from every person that jostles me? I expect none. A waste of time. I don't assume discourtesy, I just accept that it was unnecessary and go on with my happy life.[/QUOTE]

Sir,

Like the cut of your jib and your philosophy.✔️

PetiteFleur

Visit site
My experience of sparks from an angle grinder a couple weeks ago was setting myself on fire! Just finished grinding a piece of stainless and smelt a burning smell - looked down and my jumper was slowly burning... Quickly dealt with a gloved hand but left with a 4" diameter hole. Lesson learnt, never wear a synthetic jumper when grinding, should have had my smock on top which would probably only charred. My wife just said 'I never liked that jumper anyway' so in the dustbin it went.

rotrax

Visit site
My experience of sparks from an angle grinder a couple weeks ago was setting myself on fire! Just finished grinding a piece of stainless and smelt a burning smell - looked down and my jumper was slowly burning... Quickly dealt with a gloved hand but left with a 4" diameter hole. Lesson learnt, never wear a synthetic jumper when grinding, should have had my smock on top which would probably only charred. My wife just said 'I never liked that jumper anyway' so in the dustbin it went.

Seen a blokes greasy overalls seriously on fire from angle grinder sparks-he was badly burned.

Another guy I knew-he was the best workshop designer in England. I know he was-he kept telling me.

Well, he designed and installed a bench specifically for battery charging. Four shelves, each able to take three large motorcycle or one car battery. Charger-a big one-on the wall to the right, near the 240V socket. Clearly marked neg and pos bus bars down each side of the bench sides so jump leads could be hooked up easily. Great, you might think.

Well, it was untill he got a new toy, an 8 inch bench grinder. The top of the battery bench was rarely used, so he fixed it there.

It was a good thing it happened to him, as he kept it out of the managements notice. He was grinding a couple of steel bracket ends, rounding the corners and smoothing them. A good stream of red sparks leaving the wheel and going downwards.

You can guess the rest-there was a large battery on charge, chucking out lots of hydrogen. When the hydrogen/air mix is right-boom-exploded battery, quick trip to the bogs to was the acid off and straight down the shops for new socks, trousers and shirt.

It could'nt have happened to a nicer bloke................................

greeny

Visit site
Okay okay that’s enough. It was 2 pieces of 25mm tube. How many filings can that generate? I stand corrected,won’t do it again.. Marina confirms that all power tools except angle grinders are acceptable. I might stay now in the marina now.
Thanks everyone

Hi, just to explain my comments previously. I think any effects suffered from your grinding by others was purely accidental on your part and was obviously not deliberate. We all get things wrong sometimes. Sometimes we have to take responsibility for those accidents though and hopefully it can be dealt with in a friendly way between the two parties.
The dinging of cars with shopping trolleys and damage to boats in boatyards by people who should be taking more care and know better is what I take exception to. Some posters seem to think this is acceptable. I do not.
Subject closed from my end.

oldgit

Visit site
Took around 18 months for all traces of metal filings to finally disappear or at least become invisible to my eyes in the gelcoat of my boat,chap some distance up wind was using a grinding wheel. Had the wind been in any other direction would not have been a problem.
Similar event took place nearbye when the stern of a very shiney flybridge was covered with metal grinding particals.
A local boat polishing/cleaning outfit sorted the problem quickly and efficiently.Suspect not a few folks have experienced this problem.
Recently a long sitting RCC club member with a virtually derelict steel boat in the middle of a multitude of plastic boats announced that he was about to start renovating his rusty pride and joy on the pontoon which would involve the use of grinder.

Yea right was the response from nearbye owners.

Last edited: