I was told off today

JumbleDuck

Visit site
While at Almerimar some one talk a grinder to their boat to make some repairs. Dozens of boats had tiny but numerous rust stains appear on their decks/gelcoat for weeks after, just about impossible to get rid of as the molten metal sinks into the gelcoat

How far can a fragment produced by angle grinding get and still be hot enough to sink into gel coat?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
Not to the OP I appreciate you have had a belly full
When I was a lad I was an apprentice Panel beater and as you can imagine we used angle grinders like they were our third arm,
and in my 5 years of bashing cars I have seen some big mistakes from the hot fragments, these are able to bed into windscreens and leave them pitted, pit all the paint on a car, and as said before can cause fires
these are red hot and can burn and mark most substances,, always use a piece or cardboard of heavy cloth the contain the sparks , but watch for fire

Resolution

Visit site
Continuing the car theme, many years ago I was warned by our local body-bashing repair outfit never to park in the station car park in the row nearest the railway track. Hot brake dust apparently coated cars there and embedded into the paintwork. Excellent source of business to my pals at the bodyshop.

Poignard

Visit site
I've dealt with a couple of cases of merchant ships with enthusiastic crews carrying out maintenance, involving a grit blaster followed by a paint sprayer, rather too close to a marina or a car park. It gets very expensive very quickly..

I expect you'll have heard of the Wagon Mound case. :D

dom

Visit site
As a Haslar berth holder, you now have me worried as to whether I was in range; which berth were you on?

And I'm worried in Port Solent ;)

Seriously though, the poor chap cut two 25mm tubes which depending on weather conditions will most likely have done very little damage, if any at all.

It is important to maintain a sense of proportion here!

Last edited:

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Sorry, can't reply now; checking my car in Surrey for any rust marks.

Oh yes, Lord Reid, quite :rolleyes:

I had a sailing friend (top flight foredeck - far too good to sail with me) who worked for a P&I Club and who told the tale of having to pay for washing sheep, two hundred miles inland, after the VLCC “ABT SUMMER “ blew up fifty miles off the coast of Namibia.

dom

Visit site
I had a sailing friend (top flight foredeck - far too good to sail with me) who worked for a P&I Club and who told the tale of having to pay for washing sheep, two hundred miles inland, after the VLCC “ABT SUMMER “ blew up fifty miles off the coast of Namibia.

P&I bods treating flossie to a wash and blow dry - love it ;)

Though one wonders how many flossies actually visited the shampoo parlour!

WFA

Visit site
Now we have mission creep - how do we feel about receiving soot and tar from neighbouring solid fuel stoves?

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
I would have thought not very far before it's cool but it would be a good experiment for PBO to do

It's obvious on the face of it, based on heat transfer rates, that it is a matter of particle size, not temperature. Distance only matters because larger particles don't drift as far. Drop a bit of any reactive iron on the deck and you will get a stain within hours to days. I have a nice razor blade outline near the bow where I left one overnight. It will come off with acid in minutes, but I just haven't gotten to it. It's probably been 8 months.

The difference with soot and tar is that the particles are much lighter and travel farther. Fortunately, solid fuel stoves on boats are scarce as hens teeth here.

Resolution

Visit site
Now we have mission creep - how do we feel about receiving soot and tar from neighbouring solid fuel stoves?

IIRC, one of the recognised signals of distress is to burn a barrel of tar on the foredeck. Should I therefore amend my (hypothetical) Emergency Plan B, which of course already has the requirement to carry such barrel of tar on board just in case, to include the procedure of erecting a screen round said barrel so as to reduce the risk of burning bits of tar landing on my rescuers' ship and damaging their GRP?

Peter