How to get a Private VHF Frequency

picardy

Visit site
Hi I have a mix of Raymarine and ICOM VHF radios that we use for a small family run boat hire and storage business. Can anyone tell me if I can apply for a private channel / frequency for use between our staff only and if so, the process for getting this activated (and how I get the units reprogrammed for this)?

Many thanks

Pete7

Visit site
What about a PMR radio? Different frequency, no licence and you can chat away to your hearts content. They can also be had with PTT or voice activated mics etc depending on what you need. Motorbike schools tend to use them to stay in touch with students etc.

PMR 446

Pete

Refueler

Visit site
You would immediately invalidate the Conformance Certificate of the units ... I doubt any legal service would undertake such re-programming.

As a Business ... I am sure you have to conform to legal use ?? In fact I think your question stems from the fact that technically if you are using your Marine VHF's as shore base - then you are operating them outside of licence conditions.

The solution :

1. CB Radios ?
or
2. PMR - cheapest and best way
or
3. Purchase and licencing of shore based VHF radio. Then it would Tx on a Duplex Ch to your existing VHF's on the boats without any modification.

oldgit

Visit site
Many tug and marine busineses would have a VHF private office frequency.
This would involve a base station in the office and a specific channel programmed into all their ships/boats/ tugs.
It would be a duplex channel.
Ofcom would allocate your frequency.
It is probably very similar to when we used to set up communications for cabs and taxis and farms.
An application would be made online.
Using your postcode Ofcom had neat little algorithm that worked out which channels in your area were least populated with other similar stations.
If you were lucky you got one to yourself, unlucky and you shared.
Worth contacting Ofcom to find out what to do .
You should have no problem reprogramming type approved equipment with your private frequency.
Need to contact Icom or Raymarine dealers.
Do not expect vast range, Ofcom may well restrict your base ERP, a canny chap might put the base aerial as high up as possible.
There is an outside chance if bored they might come and check your set up complies with their requirements.
However as your goverment has gutted the staff of Ofcom the same as the EA and Trading Standards etc do not tremble in your boots.
Icom do very nice base station with PSU.
:)
IC-F5022M : Commercial Marine Radio - Icom UK

Last edited:

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
It depends what you mean by private. If you want a frequency you and you alone use, forget it - the radio spectrum is fully allocated. You might ba able to get permission for a shore station using one of the marina channels, but that's the best you an hope for. You'd have to have a certified shore station set up; they aren't the same as ship VHFs, as they are restricted to the frequencies you're allowed. There would be no ship to ship comms, either; it's a duplex system so the ships transmit on one frequency and the shore transmits on another.

Refueler

Visit site
It depends what you mean by private. If you want a frequency you and you alone use, forget it - the radio spectrum is fully allocated. You might ba able to get permission for a shore station using one of the marina channels, but that's the best you an hope for. You'd have to have a certified shore station set up; they aren't the same as ship VHFs, as they are restricted to the frequencies you're allowed. There would be no ship to ship comms, either; it's a duplex system so the ships transmit on one frequency and the shore transmits on another.

Yep .... possibly M1 .. M2 .... or one of the other Duplex ch's. But then as said - the Radio shore unit would be designed for such use. Most Marina shore based units also still have the normal simplex VHF ch's ... but the Duplex are the Shore based freq's.

Back to modification of a radio ... CE / UK / CL certification is based on not only the physical construction but also on the actual transmission / reception of the units certified. Modification - unless already permitted under that cert - would invalidate such unit.

finestgreen

Visit site
You can get an exclusive licence to a frequency in a defined area, but not in the marine band - and I'm not sure about rules for operation afloat.

Refueler

Visit site
Surely the easiest solution is PMR handhelds ??? Cheap and cheerful ... range is not so bad ....

I have a couple that I used to use for chore 'excursions' .... cost me about 40 quid I think ... good up to about a mile ..

ashtead

Visit site
What you are seeking is basically channel 0 as used by rescue services -it’s not private but few have access unless they have a legitimate need or a very old radio set - I’m no expert but back in 1970s many ex auxiliary coastguard set had channel zero I seem to recall .

oldgit

Visit site
Channel 0 is exclusively for emergency services only.
Channel 0: is used by Search and Rescue organisations to control units during a Distress or exercise. It is not available to vessels outside of the SAR organisations. All RNLI vessels are equipped with Channel 0.

PMR handhelds have a erp of about 1w from the aerial on good day and if somebody " forgot" to drop it into the charger last night.
Handheld on the office desk and one in the bowels of the boat might give you line of sight, trees, an office wall and any other obstruction in the
way ? ......Two cans and bit of string will give you more reliable communications.
Those cheapo toy ones, .5w about .1w erp, rubbish range and of course just after Xmas half the worlds kids will be on those 16 channels playing war games and quite probably learning some new swearwords from you and whoever is on the other end of your budget radio system. :)

Any private channel, base to boat , is allocated from a channel within the VHF Marine Band allocation it is not the same as the three specified Marina (M) channels only for communication within a limited 4k radius. ?

Last edited:

oldgit

Visit site

The UHF (Ultra High Frequency) band spans from 380-512MHz, exception being the 420-450MHz band, which is an Amateur Radio band and generally excluded from in-door RF coverage enhancement. 450-470 MHz – Land-Mobile Radio band.10 Oct 2018.

Frequencies used by that piece of equipment is slap bang in the middle of the UK Ham Radio UHF band :unsure:

B27

Visit site
If we want private conversations, we use mobile phones.
There are several ways you can have multi-way conversations on mobiles if needed.

There are a bunch of 'private channels in the marine band, I don't know how you'd get a license for them.
I expect it would cost more than buying license-free walky-talkies.

ylop

Visit site
Hi I have a mix of Raymarine and ICOM VHF radios that we use for a small family run boat hire and storage business. Can anyone tell me if I can apply for a private channel / frequency for use between our staff only and if so, the process for getting this activated (and how I get the units reprogrammed for this)?

Many thanks
You sound like you want a Coastal Radio License (U.K.) - not cheap but not ridiculous cost either. Apply for or vary a maritime radio licence

You would need to talk to ICOM and Raymarine about reprogramming. Not likely to be cheap even if it is possible on your sets.

However customers could not call you on your private channel and so you might consider a marina license, although other boat users and marinas in the viscinity will hear your chat.

If it’s just yard chatter then PMR will be cheaper, if you have company mobiles there are various apps which will effectively turn them into handheld radios with press to talk (PTT) and broadcast to all your neighbouring radios (will need signal), as the data goes via the internet not direct from phone to phone.

Mark-1

Visit site
PMR handhelds have a erp of about 1w from the aerial on good day and if somebody " forgot" to drop it into the charger last night.
Those cheapo toy ones, .5w about .1w erp, rubbish range and of course just after Xmas half the worlds kids will be on those 16 channels

I use PMRs to communicate between dinghies and around marina/club and I recognise all of these "features".

It staggers me that something with such limited range can be so susceptable to talk-over. The range seems to be incredible as long as you're not talking to the person you want to. 😡

Having said all that, they are superb for my usage (in aqua pacs) and I imagine they'd be very good for chatter around a boatyard. (Although I'd have thought mobiles would be better.)

Every now and then one will get damaged by water or abuse and another can be sourced for £8 or so on eBay.

Refueler

Visit site
Why couldn't the OP use the intership channels 6, 8, 72 or 77?

Because he is wanting to have a Shore based communication ... and that is not permitted on standard Ship VHF ... its a separate licence and the Duplex ch's are set as SHORE based on a VHF radio ... that radio cannot be used on a vessel ... for same reason ..

noelex

Visit site
The Baofeng radios (and many similar brands) are worth considering for inexpensive general communication. The rules vary depending on the country you are using them in and whether or not you hold a ham licence, but they are considerably more powerful than simple PMR walkie talkies and many will even transmit on marine VHF bands (perhaps in an emergency).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BaoFeng-8-Watt-Two-Way-144MHz-146MHz-430MHz-440MHz/dp/B0C99TZQP3/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2I5C045Y2OO67&keywords=baofeng+uv5r&qid=1702318078&sprefix=beafoeng+uv5r,aps,367&sr=8-1
D4C7ACE1-2F95-43FE-82D2-4983B151CF04.jpeg

Last edited: