How to connect yakbitz

Sandmartinhunter

Visit site
Can somebody tell me if I can wire the yakbitz to the cables in the pictures
Do I connect the 12v and GND to the red and black of the power and then the data? Not sure which cable to use as it’s the GPS cable. ?
Any help would be great thanks the rest of the boat has seatalk and a st4000+ plotter

Attachments

• IMG_2818.jpeg
    IMG_2818.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2817.jpeg
    IMG_2817.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2816.jpeg
    IMG_2816.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 15

Pye_End

Visit site
12v is positive supply from battery
GND is -ve from battery - should be common to -ve NMEA data also from device
Rx is NMEA+ from device

Sandmartinhunter

Visit site
12v is positive supply from battery
GND is -ve from battery - should be common to -ve NMEA data also from device
Rx is NMEA+ from device
So in pic 2 the 2 wires in my hand are from the + and - of the gps. Do you think if I use them for the + and - and the power from the vhf it would be correct ?

Plum

Visit site
Can somebody tell me if I can wire the yakbitz to the cables in the pictures
Do I connect the 12v and GND to the red and black of the power and then the data? Not sure which cable to use as it’s the GPS cable. ?
Any help would be great thanks the rest of the boat has seatalk and a st4000+ plotter
Yes, 12v and GND as you say, and then the data out from whatever device it is coming from connected to the Rx terminal of the yakbitz. So yes, GPS+ to the Rx terminal on the Yakker and the GPS- also to the GND. that is what I have, although I was connecting from a AIS receiver.

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
So in pic 2 the 2 wires in my hand are from the + and - of the gps. Do you think if I use them for the + and - and the power from the vhf it would be correct ?
The Yakker needs to be connected to the battery - ve to work. It is normal for the -ve battery also to be the -ve NMEA0183 carrier, as Plum says. The manual for your GPS should give detailed information on what wires emerge from the back and what to do with them - but it certainly looks as though both the GPS 0183 -ve and the Yakker ground should be wired to the boat -ve system.

CJU

Visit site
Slight thread drift but the Yakka I fitted seems to get very hot. Does anyone know if that’s normal. It is an nmea 0183 to Wi-Fi unit.

Plum

Visit site
Slight thread drift but the Yakka I fitted seems to get very hot. Does anyone know if that’s normal. It is an nmea 0183 to Wi-Fi unit.
Fitted mine 7 years ago and still good. No idea if it gets hot or not as I never touch it!