How long did it take you to learn your boat?

mrming

instagram.com
We're in the 3rd season of racing our small but well canvassed swing keel Benny.

In year 1 we used the wrong sort of kite (asymmetric) for the local conditions (narrow, tidal river).

In year 2 we thought the boat was too tender so we only ever used a blade jib (and got rated accordingly).

In year 3 we've realised we can drive the bejaysus out of her with the #1, and often have the traveller so far down the track it might as well be in the boat next door.

The asymmetric hasn't been up all season.

There may well be more speed to come but I feel like we're finally starting to understand the nature of the beast.

So how long did it take you to figure out how to sail your boat fast? Did you get it dialled in straight away or was there a similar learning curve?

flaming

Visit site
Took us a season or two (and getting a settled crew) to get the Elan really dialed in. I actually think we've lost a bit recently, as we've just not sailed as much.

I suspect it would take us a bit less time now to dial a new boat in, as we're all more experienced sailors, but we'd certainly need to find a bit more time to put into it!

savageseadog

Visit site
It took us about 2 years to start from scratch with our Prima 38. It was a bit of a major upgrade for us, we were lacking experienced crew, the rigging was new and too slack for a good while. We inherited a vast quantity of sails of all ages and types, some of which were useless, not always obvious what would work. The factor that increased the learning curve significantly was dealing with limited access to the water and extreme tidal conditions (Liverpool/Mersey) which makes reading trim very difficult.

mrming

instagram.com
Thanks lads, seems like a couple of seasons is relatively normal then.

Now we just have to learn how to sail in a tidal estuary properly. Years of windward-leewards on the open sea has proved to be poor preparation. ;)

wooslehunter

Visit site
Biggest thing I've learned recently is that even after 10 years, there's still lots to learn about the boat & I still don't know the ideal setup for all conditions. The lesson is to try things out & not to think that because you've done it that way for years it really is best.

I've tended to be lazy as I sail mostly single handed in a boat that's old, slow & doesn't go up wind. I did things differently a few weeks ago & got a 2nd one day & 3rd the next. OK, conditions were ideal for me but.......

John the kiwi

Visit site
5 years and counting.
The boat was stodgy and slow for racing but with many redeeming features for cruising. Well worn sails which i guess were 25 year old originals.
So.
New main, new jib, two spinnakers.
New winches and clutches, new spectra halyards, new jib sheeting systems.
New clutches.
new rudder.
adjustments to mast foot location and rake. adjustment to gooseneck location.
Lots of advice from sailmaker.
Now I know we are getting the power on when we get the trim right so i am running out of excuses!
Actually have won and placed a few races which is fun. Just need to work out how to keep the boat in the groove consistently.
Need to spend more time sailing and training with race crew, but it doesnt happen.
Why are we all always so damned busy?
Cheers
john

roblpm

Visit site
End of our second season, c 40 races total. None of us had raced before and some hadn't even sailed!

Still not really competing as crew has been irregular.

However last week we won the start and equalled the other boat the same as ours downwind.

Upwind we are hopeless though so for this week i am laminating a set of trim settings for different wind strengths. We also only have a big furling genoa so i think the one upgrade for next season will be a number 3 jib.

We also don't really concentrate so i need to persuade the helm to concentrate, and the crew to get on the rail asap!! Any other noob upwind tips appreciated!!

Channel Sailor

Visit site
My new to me boat came with three Genoa's, two spinnakers and two main sails. After approx' eight cruising sailing sessions, maybe 200 miles total, I think I am just about starting understand how to use well one of the mainsails and one of the genoas. This last weekends sailing was excellent so I must be getting there. Though I have not yet started looking at the leech lines, or how the the 2nd reef sets. Also I reckon I am only half way to understanding how to get the best out of playing with the adjustable backstay. So at this rate with sailing only every few weeks in the season it will take me at a year and half to know my yacht.

JeffNev

Visit site
I agree with Daydream Believer above, it can all change as soon as you (or someone) learns to do something differently! I would say as still a relative novice, its going to be me another decade to feel like i know everything, but hopefully that will decrease as I pick some more things up!

Jeff