How do you hang your fenders.

Sneaky Pete

Visit site
I was out sailing with a friend on returning to marina I set out the fenders along the side we would be docking on. I have always tied the fender line onto the guard wire, no bending easy to slide along for positioning against pontoon. However I was told that on this particular boat the fender line is attached to the stantion base as tieing to the guard wire will cause the wire to stretch. Never heard of that one. Where do you tie yours.

West Coast

Visit site
My AWB has high topsides and I always try to tie to stanchion bases when alongside pontoons to minimise load on the guardwires. However when alongside other boats, the fenders need to be higher so have to resort to tying to the guard wires.

jbweston

Visit site
Same as you. But it does put a strain on the wire, particularly if the weather squashes the boat against the pontoon and then they move up and down relative to each other as the boat heels and bounces.

Tying to the stanchion base would cure that, but wouldn't be good if the fender line then was hard against the toerail. It might abraid the line as the fender rolled to and fro, and if you have a wooden toerail (as I do) it would scrape away at that too.

I reduce the strain on the guard wire by attaching at least some of the fenders to the guard wire at the top of the stanchions (instead of between stanchions) with a turn round the wire at each side of the stanchion.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We have no stanchions or guard wires. It’s a long way to the side of the boat, falling off isn’t easy. Fenders are tied to cleats, blocks, backstays, whatever is handy. On boats with guard wires I would hopefully see how she was fendered when I got on board, and do the same. If we had wires, it would be desperate last resort to tie fenders to them.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I was out sailing with a friend on returning to marina I set out the fenders along the side we would be docking on. I have always tied the fender line onto the guard wire, no bending easy to slide along for positioning against pontoon. However I was told that on this particular boat the fender line is attached to the stantion base as tieing to the guard wire will cause the wire to stretch. Never heard of that one. Where do you tie yours.
I follow the skippers instructions.

On my boat I tie fenders to the top guard line.

Stretchy metal, now there is a thought! I am glad I moved to dyneema lines.

onesea

Visit site
I tie mine to the guard rails out of laziness and being able to slide it along.

However was taught the correct place to tie them is Stachion bases. Reduces loading on guard rails and stanchions. Possibly less likely to pop out once moored.

It’s not so much of stretch on wires it’s the extra working on stanchion bases, that can cause Stanton’s to bend in lifting deck fittings. causing increased chance of leaks.

Now days people don’t seem t follow this, I generally don’t.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Toe rail for me.

The wire won't stretch. But you will loosen up the stanchion bases and get leaks. That is the real problem. Very common. The reason he "thinks" the wire stretched is that his bases got loose or he slightly bent the stanchions. He only "thinks" the wire stretched. It takes FAR less force to damamge the stanchions and bases than to stretch wire.

Stemar

Visit site
Madame doesn't do knots, so we have snap hooks. Clip 'em to the guard wire just forward of each stanchion. On Jazzcat they're all the same height above the water, but not on our previous boat, so they were numbered - No1 goes just forward of the forward stanchion, No 2, by the second, and so on.

If the guard wires are going to stretch under the load of a few fenders, they aren't going to be much good when you need them to keep you from a swim.

Refueler

Visit site
Tieing to the guard wires puts a load on the stanchion when alongside (IMHO). So I tie to the wire when coming alongside for ease of adjustment, then transfer to the stanchion base.

I do similar ...

I don't like leaving fenders made to guardlines - unless they are stainless wire.
If Parafil - as my 25 has - then only for berthing - once alongside - I transfer to stanchion or other better point.

Refueler

Visit site
Madame doesn't do knots, so we have snap hooks. Clip 'em to the guard wire just forward of each stanchion. On Jazzcat they're all the same height above the water, but not on our previous boat, so they were numbered - No1 goes just forward of the forward stanchion, No 2, by the second, and so on.

If the guard wires are going to stretch under the load of a few fenders, they aren't going to be much good when you need them to keep you from a swim.

Guard wires stopping you going for a swim ? I can agree if you are a midget about 3ft tall ... but average adult would be tipped over the wires ...

I find they are good to assist you going fwd as a secondary hand hold ... or something to put legs against while holding a shroud with one hand and having a p***.

I've seen stanchions actually give way when a person really falls against ... and they were not old or in bad condition.

davidmh

Visit site
Often you need more fenders than the number of stanchions and the stanchions are not always in the best place hence the use of tying to the guard wires.
david mh

Mudisox

Visit site
The guard rail and stations ar to stop folk falling overboard. Bases are stronger and will be subject to less strain and therefore movement leading to leaks and cracks.

Never Grumble

Visit site
I do similar ...
I don't like leaving fenders made to guardlines - unless they are stainless wire.
If Parafil - as my 25 has - then only for berthing - once alongside - I transfer to stanchion or other better point.
I do similar but once alongside I transfer to the toe rail, my home berth is fairly exposed and I need my fenders to stay in place when it gets a bit windy.

johnalison

Visit site
I tie to the wires. I really can't bring myself to bend down to the bases six times x2 every time I go out and back. It may not be ideal but hasn't done any obvious harm, so far. I have seen it suggested that you should tie to the handrail on the coachroof, but that would create a trip hazard on the deck.

Neeves

Visit site
On a yacht, toe rails. On a cat stanchion bases, cats don't have toe rails, with a big one forward and another big one aft and smaller , or less big in-between.

Jonathan

Last edited: