How bitter should the end be ?

EnglishIrishman

Visit site
My 21'er has a 15lb CQR on about 30m of chain. The bitter end is attached to a hard point inside the chain locker using what appears to be a piece of 4mm string.
Was the previous owner not fond of his ground tackle, or is this a deliberate 'break-link', designed to let go in case of a disaster I have yet to imagine ?

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I believe that attaching a chain with some rope so that it can be cut in extremis is the conventional wisdom. I'm trying to imagine those extreme circumstances,

1. Anchor is terminally stuck and you need to jettison it
2. You've mistakenly anchored in very deep water at low tide and can't free the anchor - and the tide is rising
3. A huge ship has fouled the anchor and is now sailing out to see with you trailing behind!

wonkywinch

Visit site
I believe that attaching a chain with some rope so that it can be cut in extremis is the conventional wisdom. I'm trying to imagine those extreme circumstances,

1. Anchor is terminally stuck and you need to jettison it
2. You've mistakenly anchored in very deep water at low tide and can't free the anchor - and the tide is rising
3. A huge ship has fouled the anchor and is now sailing out to see with you trailing behind!
4. Anchor jumps off bow roller as it pitches down into heavy sea. Windlass clutch not tight enough so anchor deploys into deep ocean, increasing mass and inertia empties whole locker towards Davy Jones and the only thing left is a piece of string that pulls the securing bolt out of the GRP.

Refueler

Visit site
Question : How often would you consider you would be using all that 30m chain ?

Second - what is the fastening point used ? On my 19 - the samson post through foredeck to keel was the secure point. On my later 23 - the bitter end was just secured by a large shackle that would not pass the 'pipe'. My present 25 - bitter end is not made fast - the length of chain and rope is far more than I would ever use .....

Refueler

Visit site
4. Anchor jumps off bow roller as it pitches down into heavy sea. Windlass clutch not tight enough so anchor deploys into deep ocean, increasing mass and inertia empties whole locker towards Davy Jones and the only thing left is a piece of string that pulls the securing bolt out of the GRP.
I do not agree with pins to secure chain into roller ... but use a light single line made across ...

Poignard

Visit site
Q. When might you want to slip your anchor?

A. If you find yourself anchored on a lee shore, without an engine, in deteriorating conditions, and you need to get out in a hurry.

Last edited:

EnglishIrishman

Visit site
As it was, the hard point was stainless eye attached to the tail of a 4mm brass bolt which was seemingly retaining a deck fitting. Which makes the 4mm string sound quite strong.
As to whether I'll use 30m of chain - no idea - I'm a novice, just in my second season with boat (trailer sailing and haven't had it out yet this season) and I haven't used any of it yet but I hope to remedy that within the next couple of weeks.
I see now the sense in having a rope section which can be cut, but I'll make it (and the hard point) a bit heaftier so as to prevent accidental loss
Many thanks.

andsarkit

Visit site
If the 4mm 'string' is dyneema the breaking strain is about 1000kg. If only nylon or polyester then about 300kg. How strong is the fixing point? The maximum hold of the anchor is about 300kg or less so it seems about right although you might want to go up to 5mm or 6mm and in an emergency you can still cut it easily before the fitting pulls out of the boat.
+1 to having the rope long enough to go on deck where it is accessible.

EnglishIrishman

Visit site
The existing rope was a decidedly dodgy looking piece of 4mm polyester, so I've replaced with a piece of 6mm polyester, a metre of which ultimately emerges out of the hawse pipe, thus enabling it to be cut in extremis.

Many thanks 👍

Neeves

Visit site
Sadly the piece of string is not the whole story.

You need a really decent knife handy (which you should have on the boat as standard safety gear) AND you need to keep it sharp (which on a boat is something of a contradiction). Ideally keep it just inside the companion way - accessible from on deck but unseen by prying eyes.

If your rode is 8mm chain it will be heavy, really heavy, and do nothing for the sailing performance (or motoring performance if its a MoBo) of your boat. It will however keep you fit when you pull it in by hand (do use gloves). If you want to keep the fairer sex on side - don't ask them to retrieve the chain. 6mm chain would be appropriate. If you were to change to 6mm - you may need another shackle as one that fits 8mm chain and a 15lb CQR will not fit 6mm chain.

Genuine CQRs used to come with a welded shackle. If you change - take the anchor with you and buy the kit that fits in the chandlers.

Jonathan

William_H

Visit site
As an owner of a light weight 21 ft trailer sailer I would think 30 m of chain is all wrong. 6 to 10 metres of chain plus rope is much better in terms of weight in the bow. A consideration for sailing but perhaps even more so when retrieving or owing the boat. (i confess mine is more like 3m of chain but I do not anchor it is just a safety equipment thing.) So OP must work out if anchoring safety is worth the weight. re the bitter end attachment. Yes it should be attached to boat but really IMHO primarily to save the anchor gear if primary attachment comes loose. ol'will

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Not quite relevant to this question but if the boat has a windlass the rope attaching the chain bitter end to the boat should be short. Short enough that the chain remains in the gypsy when fully extended. If at any time the chain runs out fully, for example if the clutch mechanism loosens, it can be extremely difficult to recover if the rope is in the gypsy.
This happened to me in deep water, with my anchor and full 60 metres of chain hanging straight down. At the time my 'bitter end' rope was a couple of metres long. It took us a very long time to haul the chain up to the gypsy using the genoa winches. In the meantime we were drifting in a fresh breeze.