Hoses removed from water points

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I imagine most people are aware of this but the EA are removing the hose reels. I think it's a elfin safety issue.

I was at Hurley earlier today, not needing the water point but noticed the hose has gone and the tap has a complicated non return valve which it turns out needs to have "no downstream pressure or water will come out of the vent holes".

Bloke on a narrow boat plugged his hose in and it just sent water out of the vent holes.

So it's useless basically.

I don't know if they have all been done but I can foresee some significant queueueueing for water points once the boating season kicks in.

Those fire hoses did discharge water at quite a rapid rate whereas a normal tap, specially with a silly valve on it, will take discharge a fraction of the volume.

Crazy idea. I imagine it was an elfin safety bod with a form then the fitters just went and did their job.

Anyone thinking of boating and using fresh water Good Luck With That.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
I was only informed a few days ago that this alteration to water points was taking place.
I have asked for a clear statement to river users together with details of connections to be circulated ASAP.
Did you notice are the connectors “hozelok” type or threaded brass ?

Rappey

Visit site
It's been regulation for ages that a non return valve has to be in line.
What you have sounds very strange

Rappey

Visit site
Im surprised you are surprised
2018 was when it came to be law so any operator not having sufficient backflow prevention and anti syphoning are wide open to criminal prosecution.
A hose on a tap by water can be classed as a syphon risk therefore every operator had to remove them.
There was also a health concern about hoses being left in the sun and then a water tank being filled so now you have to provide your own hose.

ashtead

Visit site
I cannot think of a south coast marina which has hoses on tap but most have one in the marina office if asked. Given what some marina hoses can be used for I can understand how they might not be healthy. Most hoses were sold off for charity I think.

Plum

Visit site
I imagine most people are aware of this but the EA are removing the hose reels. I think it's a elfin safety issue.

I was at Hurley earlier today, not needing the water point but noticed the hose has gone and the tap has a complicated non return valve which it turns out needs to have "no downstream pressure or water will come out of the vent holes".

Bloke on a narrow boat plugged his hose in and it just sent water out of the vent holes.

I don't know if they have all been done but I can foresee some significant queueueueing for water points once the boating season kicks in.

Those fire hoses did discharge water at quite a rapid rate whereas a normal tap, specially with a silly valve on it, will take discharge a fraction of the volume.

Crazy idea. I imagine it was an elfin safety bod with a form then the fitters just went and did their job.

There are very few marinas now, around the UK and on the continent, who still have hoses. It's becoming normal to use your own hose.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
I know but I was thinking of how it has slowed things down too much.

There was a £48 anti Syphon valve on it with a hozelock type fitting. The thing just sent water out the sides when connected to a hose.

It had a website printed on it and a part number I did do a search on my phone but can't remember and it's not in my history.

It was designed for lab taps.

plumbob

Visit site

Stable door and horses come to mind. Can't wait to see 3 or 4 narrow boats queueing up to take on 200 gallons each with a 1/2" hose and the wrong size fittings for the tap. Are they going to remove the handle of the tap too, in case the virus is passed on?

Plum

Visit site
I know but I was thinking of how it has slowed things down too much.

There was a £48 anti Syphon valve on it with a hozelock type fitting. The thing just sent water out the sides when connected to a hose.

It had a website printed on it and a part number I did do a search on my phone but can't remember and it's not in my history.

It was designed for lab taps.
Was it one of these? Anti-Siphon Adaptor with AUK3 Tap Air Gap(1000/551) – LabHub

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Last edited:

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
If it’s one of those, I see it just unscrews from the fitting. Suspect it might get unscrewed, at least temporarily.
It would have made sense to have put more than one tap on so that two boats could fill at the same time from the same supply.

Yes the backsiphon fitting would unscrew leaving a standard tap with a thread onto which one can screw one's own "hozelock" adapter or other normal threaded hose fitting.

The anti siphon thing makes the tap virtually useless.

TrueBlue

Visit site
Softly, softly catchee monkey - remove all the nice features while all the boats (those that actually move anyway) are privily tucked up in their marinas.
Although we have lovely, beautiful, clear water on our mooring - it was great to fast flowing Thames water delivered in rapid time when bunkering further upstream.

Mark my words - next it will be the rubbish disposal, large dumpsters replaced by poncy domestic bins (to discourage use you understand).
Turn off the 'leccy out of hours to discourage boaters using the locks - as it used to be not that many years ago. Indeed how about replacing the hydraulics with balance beans such as used above Oxenford.

Last edited:

Plum

Visit site
This item is what is fitted at Hurley.

DC257 from Arrow Valves

Arrow Valves

It has a "hozelock" type quick connect fitting but the water comes out of 4 holes above rather than going through the hose.
Ok thanks. That one, like the one I showed, will only work if there is no restriction to flow downstream of the valve. If you connect a hose with a sprayer/trigger/controller on the other/boat end the water will spray out of that anti-syphon valve until the downstream restriction is cleared. It will also not work with one of the crinkly expanding hoses as they rely on back-pressure to keep them expanded.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Outinthedinghy

Visit site
Even on free flow it restricts the water flow to a very narrow stream more remeniscent of what a gentleman might be able to produce after a few pints.

A quite back of envelope calculation, having used the same water point myself to load a tonne of water a couple of weeks ago, is that it will now take 5 times longer.

I did once split the seam on a polyprop tank on one of my narrowboats at Cookham years ago with the big chubb fire hose. They shifted a lot of water.

I agree with removing the hoses but I feel that a decent tap and associated fittings should be provided or it's going to cause chaos.

The bucket and bilge pump is spot on and exactly what Steve SRB suggested to me when I told him about the issue yesterday.