Highfield Superlight tender

Ricd

Visit site
Anybody have any experience of these? I am currently considering buying a lightweight tender. The Highfield 250 (2.7m) is only 17kg versus my current waveline at 48kg.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Anybody have any experience of these? I am currently considering buying a lightweight tender. The Highfield 250 (2.7m) is only 17kg versus my current waveline at 48kg.

Excellent tenders and extremely common in Croatia where Highfield have a contract with Sunsail / The Moorings to provide all their tenders. Not the ultra- lightweight version though.

We bought a brand new UL260 Hypalon from Steve Harrison at Seaswift 01626 834143 last Spring. Excellent service as when the importer in France was clearly going to miss our deadline Steve drove his car over to France, put the tender on his roof, and delivered it to us personally to make sure that we had it before we set off to Croatia. Even though the floor is solid aluminium and not collapsible it still fitted in our estate car with the seats down.

It is so light that it is a revelation. I often carry it on my own. I also bought a Suzuki 2.5 4-stroke which is also so light that I could probably carry the tender plus outboard if the shape wasn't so awkward. It proved a Godsend in a couple of places last year when heavy swell was bashing the tenders against the jetty and we saw some damage being done. We just lifted ours out complete with motor and sat it on the quay!

The Suzuki is a good match for the smaller Highfields but be aware that the combination is so light that it will blow upside down in fairly modest wind and swell even with the motor on. This happened to us after about our first week with it in the Med! I now always lift it on the davits unless it is going to be very calm. If you don't have davits you may well need to lift it on deck or remove the outboard if you are leaving it in the water.

Richard

I think the Hypalon is called Orca or something. Whatever, it's the non-PVC version but is a lot more expensive but necessary for the Med. Possibly overkill for the UK?

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
Think that is a different type of boat. Highfield have just introduced a conventional inflatable floor lightweight to compete with 3D and O2Lite. Don't think there are many if any in use yet, so doubt anybody has experience of them.

Ricd

Visit site
Thanks to both of you for feedback. I think I will take the plunge and buy one and be the guinea pig. Agree it looks like a relatively new introduction and has an airdec and inflatable keel.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Think that is a different type of boat. Highfield have just introduced a conventional inflatable floor lightweight to compete with 3D and O2Lite. Don't think there are many if any in use yet, so doubt anybody has experience of them.

Crikey ... which is likely to be lighter .... Ultralight or Superlight ..... you decide!

I thought the 250 was a bit odd as, from memory, the Ultralight was available in 240 or 260. The 240 looked too small but the 260 is just right, said Goldilocks. :)

Richard