French boat registration

Picazx

Visit site
Hello, as a brit with a brexit Carte de Sejour, I am looking at buying a boat in France. I find there is a clause related to registration which stipulates at least half ownership by a French NATIONAL or company. This seems to effectively exclude me from owning a boat in France. Required to do so by residence and excluded f by nationality. Does anyone have direct experience of French registration? Thanks

Bouba

Visit site
Hello, as a brit with a brexit Carte de Sejour, I am looking at buying a boat in France. I find there is a clause related to registration which stipulates at least half ownership by a French NATIONAL or company. This seems to effectively exclude me from owning a boat in France. Required to do so by residence and excluded f by nationality. Does anyone have direct experience of French registration? Thanks
I have also the same legal status as you...I have registered four boats that I can recall...there has never been a problem

Bouba

Visit site
Hi Bouba, Thanks for that. Can you confirm that you have done it post Brexit? Thanks
You mean after the withdrawal agreement...2020ish...no, unfortunately I haven’t....all my boats have been older than that

owen-cox

Visit site
I also have a post brexit carte de sejour and registered my beneteau that i bought on french flag in france. I sent off a copy of my carte de sejour, proof of address (electricity bill) and that was it. I think it was even free to do. No problem at all and no difference from a french national. Im actually sat on the boat now in les sables d’olonne. Bon chance. Just do it.

Picazx

Visit site
That sounds good enough to make me go ahead on that point at least. The boat only has an acte de francisation and no other proof of VAT. According to the owner, it is impossible to get this on a non VAT payed boat and while I think this might work for France the RYA are telling me I need more for other countries. It's an old boat so if there is a record of registration before 1992 (I think) I might be all right. Any comments on this?

owen-cox

Visit site
That sounds good enough to make me go ahead on that point at least. The boat only has an acte de francisation and no other proof of VAT. According to the owner, it is impossible to get this on a non VAT payed boat and while I think this might work for France the RYA are telling me I need more for other countries. It's an old boat so if there is a record of registration before 1992 (I think) I might be all right. Any comments on this?
For the acte de francisation to be issued it has to have had VAT paid I believe. Unless it was a company that owned it but then
the french authorities would not allow it to be transferred to a private owner if it was not VAT paid. I got the broker to do all the paperwork and they did it free of charge. All simple. I have a bill of sale and in the paperwork i have a copy of the original sales invoice from beneteau as well. But i do believe the acte is proof that VAT status is correct and so no further proof should be required.

owen-cox

Visit site
For the acte de francisation to be issued it has to have had VAT paid I believe. Unless it was a company that owned it but then
the french authorities would not allow it to be transferred to a private owner if it was not VAT paid. I got the broker to do all the paperwork and they did it free of charge. All simple. I have a bill of sale and in the paperwork i have a copy of the original sales invoice from beneteau as well. But i do believe the acte is proof that VAT status is correct and so no further proof should be required.
One thing I did also find was that insurance companies wanted to see french qualifications for the owner and rather than go down this route and argue the side i went to my local AXA agent who insured it easily.

Bouba

Visit site
One thing I did also find was that insurance companies wanted to see french qualifications for the owner and rather than go down this route and argue the side i went to my local AXA agent who insured it easily.
I think that anybody who resides here should get qualified locally.....the wife has the Côtier and I have the Hauturière

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Boat registration is now handled by Affaires Maritimes, earlier it was mainly the Douanes. With your "acte de francisation" you can ask the Douanes office for a "quitus fiscal", it's the VAT paid proof document, should you need it outside France.

DownWest

Visit site
Just helping reg a Mobo (20ft with OB) and the papers look the same as the ones for a car. Part filled in by the existing owner, the other by the buyer.

Also reging a home built sailing boat. That was easy (2007) just fill in a form, promise not to sell it for five years and they handed you the carte. Now, loads of papers to fill in and boxes to tick about equipement and safety features ( e.g. means of getting back on board if freeboard over 'X' antislip on decks) But first one went through OK and quickly. Free too (20ft)
No licence required if primary motivation is sail. Insurance required, but don't think that has to included in the forms.

owen-cox

Visit site
I also have a post brexit carte de sejour and registered my beneteau that i bought on french flag in france. I sent off a copy of my carte de sejour, proof of address (electricity bill) and that was it. I think it was even free to do. No problem at all and no difference from a french national. Im actually sat on the boat now in les sables d’olonne. Bon chance. Just do it.
I just want to clarify this comment. I bought the boat after brexit but after a bit of research I have found that it is not possible for a UK citizen to register a boat under French flag unless they have a withdrawal agreement carte de sejour. I do have one so anyone who came after brexit cannot register a boat on french flag without having a european citizen (or UK citizen with brexit carte de sejour) as a 50% owner. The EU citizen does not even have to live in france. But UK citizens without a withdrawal agreement carte de sejour cannot register it in their own name so anyone who moved to france after brexit will not be able to register a boat in their name solely.

Picazx

Visit site
I just want to clarify this comment. I bought the boat after brexit but after a bit of research I have found that it is not possible for a UK citizen to register a boat under French flag unless they have a withdrawal agreement carte de sejour. I do have one so anyone who came after brexit cannot register a boat on french flag without having a european citizen (or UK citizen with brexit carte de sejour) as a 50% owner. The EU citizen does not even have to live in france. But UK citizens without a withdrawal agreement carte de sejour cannot register it in their own name so anyone who moved to france after brexit will not be able to register a boat in their name solely.
Thatks for that. Thankfully I do have the Brexit card. What a mess!