High Field Dinghy with a round transom?

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
When I bought my boat it came with a highfield roll up dinghy. I've just inflated the dinghy to see the size etc and am a little confused by the shape. Everything I've seen regarding roll up highfields is they usually have a flat transom (squarish shaped) with two straight tubes going aft. They also usually have 3 inflation points for the tubes, and an inflatable keel.

The dinghy that came with the boat has 2 inflatable sections and no inflatable keel. It's a flat bottom dinghy. The transom plate is also rather small because of how the tubes round inwards.

Anyone know where I can find some information about this dinghy? The transom plate says its model FW-230 but when I look that up they look nothing like what I have. Is this an older version of that model?

Attachments

• 20240225_151445.jpg
    20240225_151445.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
  • 20240225_133551.jpg
    20240225_133551.jpg
    908.3 KB · Views: 40

Yngmar

Visit site
Nothing online about a FW model, so you'll have to ask Highfield. The roll-ups are model "RU", not "FW", so nothing to do with yours, which looks like a inflatable floor type with a narrow transom. The HIN suggests it's from 2015, so not current but not that ancient either.

But where's the problem? Pump it up, stick on the outboard and go for a ride :)

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Regardless of any information you may get it won't change the dinghy you have so you either live with it or sell it and buy something else.

Irish Rover

Visit site
I too had reason to take a photo of a Highfield transom plate last week and it certainly looks difficult to yours - maybe different models, different years etc.20240221_125505.jpg

ColourfulOwl

www.colourfulowl.com
I too had reason to take a photo of a Highfield transom plate last week and it certainly looks difficult to yours - maybe different models, different years etc.

Yours is more like what I would expect it to be. I think the one I have is a pretty old, pre-2015, model that has been discontinued.

I'm going to use the Dinghy I have for this year, and possibly next and then look at sell it. I want to move over to an aluminium hull dinghy before I do my circumnavigation of the UK. Possibly going a size up - the 3D Tender Ultimate 260 Aluminium currently has by eye at the moment but with plenty of time between now and then I'm sure something else will pop up xD

The boat also came with a Honda 2.3 outboard, which I've serviced but yet to have a play around with. It'll be interesting to see if I need to up size that as well. I'm a rather large person weighing way more then the previous owner, his wife and Dog combined probably do. So whether this stuff is suitable for my weight + height, I don't know yet. When I'm next at the marina I'm going to set it up and figure out how to climb in and out of the thing with some dignity xD

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yours is more like what I would expect it to be. I think the one I have is a pretty old, pre-2014, model that has been discontinued.

I'm going to use the Dinghy I have for this year, and possibly next and then look at sell it. I want to move over to an aluminium hull dinghy before I do my circumnavigation of the UK. Possibly going a size up - the 3D Tender Ultimate 260 Aluminium currently has by eye at the moment but with plenty of time between now and then I'm sure something else will pop up xD

The boat also came with a Honda 2.3 outboard, which I've serviced but yet to have a play around with. It'll be interesting to see if I need to up size that as well. I'm a rather large person weighing way more then the previous owner, his wife and Dog combined probably do. So whether this stuff is suitable for my weight + height, I don't know yet. When I'm next at the marina I'm going to set it up and figure out how to climb in and out of the thing with some dignity xD
I don't want to be alarmist but the engraving on your transom plate looks somewhat DIY to me.

Tranona

Visit site
That was a current model in 2014/5. I looked at it when they first came on the market, but went the 3D route. I don't think it stayed on sale for long as it was uncompetitive and did not have a strong distribution at the time. Of course Highfield now have a good well established range. Give it a try as it seems a good design and from what I remember quite well made. Should go well with the Honda.